The Warriors Remake

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
Forum Member
The Warriors is being remade by MTV Productions in conjunction with Paramount Pictures. This movie isn't strictly a remake since it is going to be set in Los Angeles in 2006 and none of the characters or gangs from the original movie will be in it. Yes that's right, no Ajax, no Swan, no Orphans or Baseball Furies! In fact the only similarities with the original movie are the title, the name of The Warriors gang, and the basic plot. Rumour has it that Cyrus will still be the name of the guy who called the meeting. Expect the movie to be released some time in 2006.

Terence Winter, a writer and executive producer of The Sopranos has been drafted into The Warriors gang. The scribe will write the remake of the 1979 street-gang classic that Tony Scott is directing for MTV Films and Scott Free Prods. Paramount Pictures is distributing. Scott's version will follow the outline of the first film -- in which a gang leader is assassinated during a truce, and The Warriors, wrongly accused of the assassination, must make their way home through hostile gang territories -- while updating the heightened reality of the original film for contemporary audiences. The original was directed by Walter Hill and was written by Hill and David Shaber. David Gale is producing with Scott, while MTV Films' Van Toffler is executive producing with Skip Chaisson. Winter was Emmy-nominated five times for his work on Sopranos. In 2002, he won a WGA Award in the television category that he shared with writer Timothy Van Patten for writing the Pine Barrens episode of the HBO series. Winter is repped by CAA. :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless remake after changing so much stuff, probably be a flop.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vellocet wrote:
    Pointless remake after changing so much stuff, probably be a flop.

Too often remakes dont quite live up to the originals and i dont think an out and out remake of the Warriors could EVER live up to the original, so perhaps by changing a lot of the original story, it will update it while keeping the theme.

Look forward to it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so bored of Hollywood endlessly remaking classic/cult films.

The Warriors should be sacred. Just like the Italian Job, Alfie, The Wicker Man, Psycho, The Grudge, The Vanishing etc etc etc should have been considered sacred.

I've yet to see one remake that surpasses the original film.

Does no-one in Hollywood have the balls or money to back an original idea?
  • jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Can U Dig It.... Can You Dig It !!!
  • winactivewinactive Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a special Ultimate Directors cut of this movie, and if anyone has not seen it, I recommend they do - it is available here but I think it may be possible to pick it up for less, I think I paid £4.49 from CD-Wow, but unfortunately it is now listed at £10.25 there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original isn't that great. I watched it after all the hype I'd read on the internet, and I couldn't believe how bad it was.

It's a great premise and story ruined by bad acting and terrible direction.

A remake, if done right, would be great. But given the last few big budget remakes, I don't hold out much hope for any improvement.

C'est la vie.
  • SiebenburgenSiebenburgen Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will never have the atmosphere and tension of the original. I loved that piece of music when The Warriors were being chased at night through Central Park by The Baseball Furies. :cool: The fact is people, hollywood dont care for what we, the original lovers think. They will do it if they think it will make cash, plain and simple. I will view the remake, yes indeed, but, it will be the version I get from Captain Jack Sparrow, arrrr matey!!.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the last month I've watched Oldboy, Infernal Affairs and Battle Royale and now I hear that they are all being remade into American films. The originals are perfect!
  • DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D Sizzle wrote:
    It's a great premise and story ruined by bad acting and terrible direction..

I'll give you that the acting isn't brilliant, but it's the chase scenes that make the film. It goes without saying the remake will be pants.

FWIW, not a popular opinion but I thought the Hollywood remake of The Ring was better than the original.