Options

I trip

mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just brought myself a i pod and someone has told me something about a I trip that broadcasts to my car stereo on 87.7 bit confused as I thought rsls used this freq. does anyone know where I can get one, as I heard also ofcom is going to make these legal .

Comments

• Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they are all over ebay and of course I wouldnt dare use the one I got for 15 quid because as you say they arent legal in this country. ;)
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discussion here and the DRDB is also pushing for DAB car adaptors to link to car radios by FM in the same way that Sirus and XM adaptors can in the US
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=423761&highlight=itrip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oblivian wrote:
    Well they are all over ebay and of course I wouldnt dare use the one I got for 15 quid because as you say they arent legal in this country. ;)
    do apple sell them which is the best one where can you get one from , thanx
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote:
    do apple sell them which is the best one where can you get one from , thanx

Yes, Apple sell them via the Apple Store, but only in the US. They are not legal in this country, so you have to use eBay.
  • Options
    andyinteractiveandyinteractive Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look on the net...there are loads and have been popular for some time.

Despite their legalities....i shouldn't worry whatsoever and i wonder what the fuss is about to be honest.

All you need to do is select a clear frequency on your radio and tune the transmitter to that frequency away from other stations as they will bleed over your ipod TX without doubt as these ipod transmitters are just something like 100milliwatts.

Just to comment on the legalities....erm...who's going to know you have one? - I dont think Ofcom are gonna send M15 helicopters out to persue your vehicle as you tap the steering wheel to your favourite tunes...lol.

These ipod transmitters have just enough power to transmit through the metal roof of your car to reach the ariel (in a screened invironment such as a car...probably around 10 metres max)

I have never known anyone get busted for using one...and i dont think it will happen in a million years to be honest as Ofcom would be the laughing stock if they did.

I know people who even use fm broadcast transmitters up to 1watt and have never had any problems due to the low power output.

Many are duped into being totally worried about using these ipod transmitters for some reason (cant think why) but go for it....and enjoy! ;)

Ofcom have got bigger fish to fry than someone listening to music through an ipod TX...seriously. There are the big boys out there with 100watt transmitters in biscuit tins on the top of towerblocks that ARE causing serious interference to emergency services....anything under a 1w...you are safe ;)

http://www.podzone.co.uk/ipod-accessories/fm-transmitters/

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/pages/category/category.asp?ctgry=iPod_iPod_FM%20Transmitters&cookie%5Ftest=1
  • Options
    BluenileBluenile Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All you need to do is select a clear frequency on your radio and tune the transmitter to that frequency away from other stations as they will bleed over your ipod TX without doubt as these ipod transmitters are just something like 100milliwatts.

Erm, 100 milliwatts is enough to go 1/4 of a mile.

The US I-Trips are about 10 milliwatts I think. The legal 50 nanowatt ones Ofcom are proposing are a waste of time on the move. Sooner or later you will get interference.

I would go for a Griffin I-Trip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote:
    Erm, 100 milliwatts is enough to go 1/4 of a mile.

The US I-Trips are about 10 milliwatts I think. The legal 50 nanowatt ones Ofcom are proposing are a waste of time on the move. Sooner or later you will get interference.

I would go for a Griffin I-Trip.

Thats why i suggested 100mw because of the screened environment will dramatically reduce the output anyway.

Totally correct in saying the 50nano watts are useless...you get more signal from standing next to a fridge!

Thats what im' saying...you need some sort of power for it to be useable in the first place.

Unless you stick this 50 nano watt TX on top of the car roof next to the ariel....it aint gonna work. (trust Ofcom to consider legalising something useless)

You need at least a 50-60db signal for decent reception...especially on the move with umpteen other different electrical sources creating interference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats why i suggested 100mw because of the screened environment will dramatically reduce the output anyway.

You need at least a 50-60db signal for decent reception...especially on the move with umpteen other different electrical sources creating interference.

I reckon around 10 milliwatts would do the job. I have a stereo 50 milliwatt Tx from Veronica myself. works well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote:
    I reckon around 10 milliwatts would do the job. I have a stereo 50 milliwatt Tx from Veronica myself. works well. :D

Is that the base model with the telescopic ariel?

They do another model which is the 100mw version.

Just wondering how stable these are as i believe the frequency is adjusted by dip-switches inside the unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that the base model with the telescopic ariel?

They do another model which is the 100mw version.

Just wondering how stable these are as i believe the frequency is adjusted by dip-switches inside the unit.

It's the 50mw stereo VFO kit which I built myself, cost me £27.

It's mounted in a video case with a telescopic aerial I added myself on top. I use a regulated power supply so it's pretty stable on 106.1 (the bands pretty empty around here: the nearest station is 105.4 Century)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote:
    It's the 50mw stereo VFO kit which I built myself, cost me £27.

It's mounted in a video case with a telescopic aerial I added myself on top. I use a regulated power supply so it's pretty stable on 106.1 (the bands pretty empty around here: the nearest station is 105.4 Century)

I think the built model is around £130...quite steep - but worth it for its stability as it is the PLL (phase locked loop) version as oppose to the VFO (variable frequency oscilator) type.

With any transmitting equipment i tend to go for the PLL type - although more expensive, it is more stable.
  • Options
    Fall Out BoyFall Out Boy Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look on the net...there are loads and have been popular for some time.

Despite their legalities....i shouldn't worry whatsoever and i wonder what the fuss is about to be honest.

Just to comment on the legalities....erm...who's going to know you have one? - I dont think Ofcom are gonna send M15 helicopters out to persue your vehicle as you tap the steering wheel to your favourite tunes...lol.

These ipod transmitters have just enough power to transmit through the metal roof of your car to reach the ariel (in a screened invironment such as a car...probably around 10 metres max)

I have never known anyone get busted for using one...and i dont think it will happen in a million years to be honest as Ofcom would be the laughing stock if they did.

I know people who even use fm broadcast transmitters up to 1watt and have never had any problems due to the low power output.

Many are duped into being totally worried about using these ipod transmitters for some reason (cant think why) but go for it....and enjoy! ;)

Ofcom have got bigger fish to fry than someone listening to music through an ipod TX...seriously. There are the big boys out there with 100watt transmitters in biscuit tins on the top of towerblocks that ARE causing serious interference to emergency services....anything under a 1w...you are safe ;)

http://www.podzone.co.uk/ipod-accessories/fm-transmitters/

http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/pages/category/category.asp?ctgry=iPod_iPod_FM%20Transmitters&cookie%5Ftest=1

Hang on a minute. Aren't you the one ranting on in another thread about images from Sutton Coldfield? It's one rule for them, another rule for you with your shitty little iTrip. Now they do spew out a lot of rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the built model is around £130...quite steep - but worth it for its stability as it is the PLL (phase locked loop) version as oppose to the VFO (variable frequency oscilator) type.

With any transmitting equipment i tend to go for the PLL type - although more expensive, it is more stable.

If I was using it in the car (ie- off a variable voltage battery) I would definitely go for the PLL version, but as I use mine at home, at a fairly stable temperature, using a regulated 13.8 volt power supply, it is pretty stable on 106.1 despite being a VFO.

The sound quality out of it is superb, particularly when used with a PC based compressor/limiter such as sound Solution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote:
    If I was using it in the car (ie- off a variable voltage battery) I would definitely go for the PLL version, but as I use mine at home, at a fairly stable temperature, using a regulated 13.8 volt power supply, it is pretty stable on 106.1 despite being a VFO.

The sound quality out of it is superb, particularly when used with a PC based compressor/limiter such as sound Solution.

I use winamp...with a processor, limiter and compressor and i am more than happy with the audio - plus it has up to a 20 second overlap. (i use a 13 second overlap normally) and it does sound rather nice on FM...

With VFO type transmitters sometimes you have to wait for them to drift up to frequency...thats my only problem with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With VFO type transmitters sometimes you have to wait for them to drift up to frequency...thats my only problem with them.

Mine's ok. My radio preset is 106.1. When you turn it on the Tx starts on 106.15 and drifts down to 106.1 over about 15 minutes and then stays there, but it's not noticeable when listening.

I think the Veronica VFO is better than most though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on a minute. Aren't you the one ranting on in another thread about images from Sutton Coldfield? It's one rule for them, another rule for you with your shitty little iTrip. Now they do spew out a lot of rubbish.

Exactly correct...100%, good observation on these thread replies!

Firstly....(and this is laughable) how can you justify the output from an ipod transmitter compared to no less than 5 services on 250kw EACH of which DO spew out interference? (thats a million and a quarter watts!!!! FFS!)

Secondly...how is this another rule for me? you have lost me there?....ipod transmissions are childs play compared to the comments i referred to the other day - and anyone that tells me that ipod transmitters are causing interference are totally blind to the technical specs of these devices!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluenile wrote:
    Mine's ok. My radio preset is 106.1. When you turn it on the Tx starts on 106.15 and drifts down to 106.1 over about 15 minutes and then stays there, but it's not noticeable when listening.

I think the Veronica VFO is better than most though.

Yeah...thats what mean that the VFO type have to drift up or down to their frequency, but 99% of the time they DO stay stable.

I have used some naff equipment in the past where the frequency starts off at .5 below the set frequency...but within an hour or so...it has drifted UP to .5 'above' the frequency.

The extra few quid is worth paying for a 100% stable frequency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I have gone 2 ways for my I pod , In my car I have a Pioneer bluetooth radio /dab , what I have done is gone for the pioneer add on i tunes adaptor that fits the the back of the stereo. then I know it wont fade etc .

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12563&taxonomy_id=25-38

For home i have gone for this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9723799084

Hope these are ok ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    i have had a griffin one for a year now and its great. i set mine to way up the scale above 107.5fm where theres nothing at all, not even for 100miles. not sure the range, but a 'friend' of mine ;-) did set it to the local frequency of Radio 2 and drove round town at rushhour whilst playing Korn on his ipod to see how many commuters he'd see looking confused. As his huge Jeep passed by. My, how irresponsible. Hmm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiracat wrote:
    i have had a griffin one for a year now and its great. i set mine to way up the scale above 107.5fm where theres nothing at all, not even for 100miles. not sure the range, but a 'friend' of mine ;-) did set it to the local frequency of Radio 2 and drove round town at rushhour whilst playing Korn on his ipod to see how many commuters he'd see looking confused. As his huge Jeep passed by. My, how irresponsible. Hmm!

Im' surprised the ipod TX still works.lol

Setting these things ON a frequency of another station will have absolutely no effect on cutting out any others as they are simply not powerful enough. (the ipod TX will probably suffer badly though!)

They wouldn't even cause a glitch in the reception of radio 2 in other vehicles.

Years ago when stations used a simple method of a 'link' transmitter, you could cause deliberate mayhem if you parked up between the studio and the transmitter site and used a link transmitter on their frequency as the link RECIEVER would pick up the strongest signal...meaning that you could broadcast anything you like on a legitimate station (ie...hijack their frequency) - you need to find out the frequency of their link transmitter obviously.

Many made tapes of the heaviest metal rock, plugged it into the link transmitter, parked up near the mast and switched on for half an hour or so, by the time the station was aware of this and called out engineers/ authorities....you'd be long gone....ahhh happy days... :D

Wonder how many looked at their radio's and frowned.. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly....(and this is laughable) how can you justify the output from an ipod transmitter compared to no less than 5 services on 250kw EACH of which DO spew out interference?
    The only person I'm laughing at is you and you're ignorance. All transmitters "spew out" harmonics to some degree, and in the profressional broadcasting world, they're limited and supressed (and as it has been said in the other thread, the problem is your receiver, not the transmitter, which is working just fine). In the world of personal transmitters, there's NO filtering, so the harmonics are NOT supressed, and really do "spew out" everywhere.
    Secondly...how is this another rule for me? you have lost me there?....ipod transmissions are childs play compared to the comments i referred to the other day - and anyone that tells me that ipod transmitters are causing interference are totally blind to the technical specs of these devices!
    You'll find that the people that complain most of about personal transmitters are the people who actually work in the transmitter business! So are you saying that everyone who works with transmitters doens't know what they're talking about?

The point being made is, you think it's fine for you and your unlicensed personal transmitter to splatter unsupressed harmonics all over the band (at comparanble levels to the harmonics from much more powerful, licensed, transmitters), while you complain bitterly about the carefully controlled harmonics from one of the UK's main transmitting stations. Talk about double standards! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im' surprised the ipod TX still works.lol

Setting these things ON a frequency of another station will have absolutely no effect on cutting out any others as they are simply not powerful enough. (the ipod TX will probably suffer badly though!)
    This is utter, utter, rubbish of the highest order. How would the iTrip TX be damaged? In what way?

I frequently transmit (accidentally) on the same frequency as another transmitter, and I've yet had a transmitter fail because of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted.......................
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    i did a test with one and put an iTrip on the same frequency as a pirate. the only thing that happend was severe interference to the iTrip TX. The signal went about 10 feet before being swamped by the pirate. in the clear at low power an itrip will have stereo for a good 6 metres and mono for another 10 before getting seriously weak. As far as harmonics it will have some but not nearly as bas as you think. only if your within 1-1.5 metres do you get it.
    Test itrip on 106.7 pirate on 106.3 full scale. The pirate was wiped for only about a metre.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    They were actually giving one away as a prize on talkSport yesterday afternoon on some Seat competition in the afternoon,as part of a 'bootload of prizes' where you have to ring in on the normal premium line and choose a number.I reckon you have nearly as much chance as winning the lottery and also bearing in mind 99% of the mugs sorry listeners who ring in don't get on.
    I thought this a rather strange promotion for a radio station to give away where as you say they aren't fully legal here,but the chances of prosecution are "low".