Options

Irish DTT starts up..

West BritonWest Briton Posts: 176
Forum Member
Irish DTT starts up..
DTT tests are now running from RTÉ's Dublin transmitter at Three Rock. One mux is initially running on Channel 54 with the following content:

Television:
RTÉ One
RTÉ Two
TV3
TG4

Radio:
RTÉ Radio 1
RTÉ 2fm
RTÉ Lyric FM
RTÉ Raidio na nGaeltachta
Today FM

I have no idea of the duration or timings of the tests at the moment.

Currently, the one advantage that DTT has over the analogue service is that 16:9 widescreen is available free to air on it, unlike the subscription only Sky Digital package.

No information is currently available regarding other content for the Irish DTT package when it is finally launched.

I am picking up the tests using a UK Philips DTT box and since existing Northern Ireland DTT channels are allocated on it the Irish channels are placed in the range 800-808.

Comments

• Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three Rock is one of the three transmitters they will be using for the test. Clermont Carn, where I get my analogue RTÉ from is another one, but the aerial for DTT is supposed to be very directional and is aimed away fromt he North. Still, will be worth dusting off my DTT box and seeing what, if anything, I can get.

Just a quick question, is TG4 in widescreen on DTT? They have a widescreen test channel on Sky I was just wondering if they have started using it yet?

Paddy :D
  • Options
    nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope when Irish DTT Broadcasting begins from the Clermont Carn transmitter that I will be able to receive these Irish channels - it would be really handy not having to switch back to analogue to see what's on RTE1,2,TV3 & TG4. But as Paddy C has said above I have heard that the DTT transmitter is to be "very directional." :(
  • Options
    West BritonWest Briton Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Currently, RTÉ Two is the only channel with widescreen switching. RTÉ One is broadcasting 16:9 content anamorphically without switching and TG4's content is letterboxed 4:3 as per the analogue service.

The good news is that the service hasn't been interrupted so far, so fingers crossed it stays on for the full duration of the tests. As an aside, the DAB tests from Three Rock and Clermont Cairn have ceased for the time being.
  • Options
    merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone in Anglesey or the west coast of Wales picking this up, sea distance just over 50 miles,other than boats,no obstruction, I just about get RTE vhf, but then I am on a mountain.

Bob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Ahh Top of the mornin to ya,

Good to see the irish taking awareness in DTT i thought they already had it up and running, anyone know the DSO (Switchover) date or when the service fully launches with 6 Muxes

Will it have near enough the same lineup and EPG as English Freeview or will it have something completely different.

I know its RTE up there so not many if none BBC channels
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it the Irish test involves three muxes. One is allocated to the existing analogue stations and they have invited interested parties to apply to take part on the other two (six TV channels per mux).

I think any EU broadcasters are eligible to apply which raises the prospect of some British channels, such as the BBC, being included.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mux 1 is for the exist ATT channels and RTE/INR radio; Mux 2 and -half of- Mux 3 are for commercial parties. The second half of Mux 3 will only be opened in case of extreme demand, and theres a Mux 4 for 'innovative services' allowed too - read HD, interactive, etc.

Now, Three Rock is licenced by the ITU for -nine- multiplexes, one on VHF and 8 on UHF, but methinks they'll hold on to 4 only for the trial... anyway, at least 3 (the VHF and 2 UHF) of those need the ATT switch off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one time there was talk of RTE bringing a 'best of' channel to Freeview for the large Irish community in the UK.

Has anyone heard anything more about this lately?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At one time there was talk of RTE bringing a 'best of' channel to Freeview for the large Irish community in the UK.

There use to be such a channel on cable a few years back but it was withdrawn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DTT Trial's official launch has been postponed until Wednesday 16th. It's thought that Clermont Carn will be activated then too, so hopefully I might get a peek and the service then!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote:
    There use to be such a channel on cable a few years back but it was withdrawn.

Yes it was on DSat too - Tara TV - which folded because they didn't pay RTE a penny for rights so when RTE demanded payment they went to the wall. At the time RTE claimed they were looking at launching a channel aimed at Irish expats in Britain..... that was 3+ years ago now and still no word.
  • Options
    merlodlliwmerlodlliw Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There used to be a channel called Tara on the old Astra a few years ago, this showed a few RTEs.

So now if you want to watch anything RTE in the UK,mainland except for
    West Wales your not supposed to watch it.

However Sky who block everything it can, will show its Irish News twice a day and Irish ads all day in the clear.

However thousands do watch RTE in the UK, its done the same way as buying an Irish Lotto ticket.

Bob Wrexham
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlodlliw wrote:
    However thousands do watch RTE in the UK, its done the same way as buying an Irish Lotto ticket.
    RTE One are currently showing the Dublin Horse Show - I'm watching it here in Liverpool on Sky Digital.... sweet!

Correction, I could be watching it but I'm watching Star Trek instead LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have now found something about RTE coming to the UK.

This is from the transcript of the Irish Seanad (Senate) on
    Wednesday, 9 November 2005 (so only 9 months ago):

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=SEN20051109.xml&Dail=29&Ex=All&Page=9

Sounds like they are interested but still a way to go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    One small question...

How will RTÉ and Freeview make sure that each others DTT service don't collide with each other. It is just that both will use DVB-T for the transmission, I can envisage as situation when a view trying to watch the Six O'Clock news on BBC One will start seeing blocks of Six One from RTÉ One.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truly hope Ireland are going the German DTT route and not going down uk culdesac :(
  • Options
    dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eurobloke wrote:
    One small question...

How will RTÉ and Freeview make sure that each others DTT service don't collide with each other. It is just that both will use DVB-T for the transmission, I can envisage as situation when a view trying to watch the Six O'Clock news on BBC One will start seeing blocks of Six One from RTÉ One.

I would hope they'd use different frequencies - just like with analogue TV where presumably you don't get RTE and the BBC colliding with each other around the Republic of Ireland/Northern Ireland border?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are using seperate frequencies. The current 4 analogue frequencies for the Irish channels from Louth are 52, 56, 66, and 68. The DTT signals will be output on 53, 57, 60 and 63, with 52, 56, 66, and 68 also being used when analogue is switched off. These do not intefere with any analogue transmitters in Northern Ireland.

The only problematic situation I could see arising is having to switch aerials if you want to watch the different channels from different transmitters. Having the two aerials plugged in at the same time (Divis and Clermont Carn) with a simple signal combiner would interfere with eachother I would have thought or the combiner would degrade the signal in some way..?

• Options
    egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    What about Holywell Hill and Brougher Mountain - both Group A - surely the potential for interference exists there when Holywell is eventually up and running!
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egal wrote:
    What about Holywell Hill and Brougher Mountain - both Group A - surely the potential for interference exists there when Holywell is eventually up and running!
    Again, you don't use the same frequencies - Nottingham and Belmont manage to play nicely together by doing that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Can anyone confirm if Teletext is being broadcast with the signals. I believe that many freeview boxes weren't implemented with Teletext decoders. My decoded is integrated into my TV - a Panasonic TX-28DTX10.

Living in Dublin within a few miles of Three Rock, I have the signal blasting in.

My rooftop aerial points to Divis and Clermont Cairn and as of Saturday night, nothing seemed to be coming from CC yet but maybe on the 16th

Cormac
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clermont Carn is supposed to be already broadcasting, but restricted to the North. If you live south of it and can't get a signal either, then I doubt it's broadcasting. Although there are some people on the boards.ie website that claim that Clermont has been live since last Friday. I can receive a signal on Ch. 60 but it's only a blank carrier, the actual channels are on Ch. 53 which I'm getting nothing on.

We need some clarification from RTÉ as to where these tests are expected to be received and when they properly begin before we can confirm where Irish DTT can and cannot be received.

• Options
    egalegal Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Not looking good though, is it, for us Northerners?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    so far i can get all the Irish DTT channels and radio
    and i live in Northern Ireland :)