Options

Moving From Pipex To Sky BB

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have my email from Sky with my code and thus starts the task of getting a MAC code.

22 minutes waiting on the phone to Pipex who then say it will be emailed to me within 3 working days.

Also it must be used in the 30 days or they will suspend my account anyway.

Assuming the email arrives then starts the tasks of getting through to the Sky BB 08705 number

I am sure that will be fun also.

I BTW am going for the max with free connection.

Automan.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello

i have just left pipex to bt, just ring pipex back and ask for your code over the phone that's what i did and also they sent it in a e-mail within a couple of hours

Cheers
    Brogusblue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the mistake I made was calling on a Saturday?

I don't have much time during the week and only got the email from Sky last night.

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky just called to see if I had my offer email.

Said yes but awaiting mac code.

They went over services on offer and I opted for home install, no phone offers and max.

Also they set me up a email address for the account at sky.com

All I have to do now is ring back with mac code, viewing card number and password they setup.

Router etc will then be sent out and changeover date set.

I did ask how long it takes to change isp.

Reply normally same day, fairly seemless. Worse case 3 days!

He also said they had only started doing this yesterday.

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    So does this mean they're starting to sign people up now then?

If so I could do with them contacting me as I need to get BT to reactivate our old line. :)
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    So can someone clarify - are sky offering the broadband solely via the phone line or is download path via satellite and the phone return only? If it's purely a phone connection, then obviously the max download speed will be limited to the state of the phone connection you are on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a 100% via the phoneline and makes no use of your dish.

Re speed, he said where I live I should get 14.5 Mb download speed.

Sky+ HD of course does have a network connection and it is rumored one day this may be used to download movies via Sky BB to watch via Sky HD

They did also ask while I was on the phone if I required any wireless dongles for use with laptops / desktops to network them.

I already have such gadgets and a VOIP Router (FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 Annex A).

Automan.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info

Rumour is pointless - broadband and satellite tv WILL merge at some point, and I can actually see a time where sky may do away with the dish altogether - it's all dependant on when the bandwidth is widely available via the phone line. On the other hand, the phone line may never be as stable as satellite. But then speculation is also pointless ;)

The sky system WILL use broadband for true VOD services, one day. The new IPTV systems will force them down this route even if they didn't want to bother
  • Options
    speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Automan, I'm currently with PIPEX and planning to switch to Sky Connect when my current 12 month (customer retention deal) contract expires in late October. So please continue to update this thread with info about your "switchover experience"!

(Sky Connect because my exchange does not have an LLU enable date yet. The Sky letter says "within 12 months")
  • Options
    SCREAMERSCREAMER Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    speedyrite wrote:
    Automan, I'm currently with PIPEX and planning to switch to Sky Connect when my current 12 month (customer retention deal) contract expires in late October. So please continue to update this thread with info about your "switchover experience"!

(Sky Connect because my exchange does not have an LLU enable date yet. The Sky letter says "within 12 months")

Can I second what speedyrite has said, Automan & keep us updated with you switching to Sky Broadband experience.
    I'm also the same as you two, currently with Pipex paying 19.99 (it dropped a few months from 23.49?)
    I'd be interested in two things.

1) What happens if you go over your e.g 40gb limit?
    2) Can I use my exsisting USR Router or do I have to use Sky's router.

Also my exchange does not have an LLU enable date yet. So I'm thinking of going to go with Sky connect, there E-Mail says if I go with Sky connect I'll be automatically upgraded when my exchange is enabled.

What's putting me off is the old chestnut of changing E-Mail address's I keep meaning to buy I domain name & do what was mentioned on another thread & forward to Outlook.
    Any advice on the above most welcome......

Also my usage with a 40gb limit, I actual don't know how much I use a month so as mentioned in another thread I downloaded NetMeter to monitor my usage, great little program in 3 hours yesterday I used 384mg that was noral surfing & viewing about 10 video files on Your Tube. I also think it's taking into account files transfered across my network.
    Any advice on the above most welcome......

Thanks to everyone who have shared they thoughs & views on Sky Broadband it's helping me a great deal & I've also learnt alot.
    Look forward to hearing more.
    Thanks....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will keep thread updated with progress.
    I also hope to use my exisiting VOIP router (FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050 Annex A) which also records bandwidth used and allows you to set your monthly limit.

Current figures...
    Period [hh:mm] total sent/received Number
    Today 13:07 31 MB 17 MB/14 MB 2
    Yesterday 24:01 137 MB 32 MB/105 MB 1
    Current week 157:07 650 MB 246 MB/404 MB 9
    Current month 133:07 590 MB 217 MB/373 MB 7
    Last month 743:51 6995 MB 3355 MB/3640 MB 39

When you reach your limit if you do it's info led starts flashing to warn you.

Plus of course it handle up to 10 voip accounts.

Re email I mainly use web mased fastmail.fm and gmail and thus loosing my pipex email is not big deal.

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I`m still paying £23.49 for Pipex Xtreme 2Mb uncapped, when did it reduce to £19.99? I`m also looking to migrate to Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Undecimus,

I'm not sure when my price decreased I'll check out my past Bank Statements and update you shortly.

CJ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is a funny saga:
    Me & a guy at work both signed up for Pipex at the same time around Nov 2004, after Xmas he asked me how I was paying I said 23.44, he said his had gone down to 19.99 I was going to contact them about the price difference but never did then in April I noticed my price had dropped to 19.99. There seems no rhyme or reason to this?
    Hope this helps !!!
    CJ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info Screamer, will attempt to clarify with Pipex tomorrow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Undecimus

Can I ask a favour, can you let me know the outcome as I'm curious about this myself?

CJ
  • Options
    srpsrpsrpsrp Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCREAMER wrote:
    This is a funny saga:
    Me & a guy at work both signed up for Pipex at the same time around Nov 2004, after Xmas he asked me how I was paying I said 23.44, he said his had gone down to 19.99 I was going to contact them about the price difference but never did then in April I noticed my price had dropped to 19.99. There seems no rhyme or reason to this?
    Hope this helps !!!
    CJ

It really annoys me what pipex have done. They give all their new subscribers the faster connections, and yet continue to charge their existing loyal users the same highest price and refuse to upgrade them. It's hard to see how Sky cust service could be comparably worse either ( in terms of time taken to get through any way )

I will be moving to Sky but I don't know when, I suppose Sky will be putting up the cost of the TV package to compensate at some point any way,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Screamer, couldn`t hang around too long on the phone today so have sent them an email. If i get a reply I`ll post it.
    Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Just checked my statement and I was still being charged £23.44 for 1meg with no d/l limit in July.

At least when I phoned up for my mac code they didn't seem to suprised.

They said I'd be emailed it in 72 hours, so should get it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My MAC code had not arrive from Pipex so I called them this afternoon.

1st time after selecting the options etc the phone went dead :(
    2nd try got to talk to someone in about six minutes.

They had my MAC code ready :)

Next the call to Sky.

Got to talk to someone in about one minute :)

Gave them my viewing card number, confirmed usual details.

She said she had never added the mac code to an existing order and needed to check with manager.

This took less than a minute and I then gave them the code.

In theory the router etc should arrive in five working days with other details shortly after.

We shall see....

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Six minutes is very good for Pipex.

I got home and found that my mac number had been emailed as promised.

Phoned Sky, should working in 5 days.
  • Options
    a11iea11ie Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    We're still paying £23.44 as well. Just waiting for the e-mail from Sky and as soon as it's ready in our area we're changing.
  • Options
    JTHMJTHM Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    keefefox wrote:
    Just checked my statement and I was still being charged £23.44 for 1meg with no d/l limit in July.

At least when I phoned up for my mac code they didn't seem to suprised.

They said I'd be emailed it in 72 hours, so should get it tomorrow.

keefefox, have you tried doing a speed test? For months I was paying £23.44 for 1meg but was actually receiving 2meg. The speed test I use is this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I did run that speed test a couple of weeks ago, and it was coming in at just under 1 meg.
  • Options
    JTHMJTHM Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    In that case I can't fault you for being p'd off
  • Options
    a11iea11ie Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Just did it and we're just under 1 meg as well.