SKY Broadband Router Details

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Howdy,

A quick call into Sky Broadband support (or rather two calls and a long wait!!!!) revealed that the router in use by Sky will beNetgear DG834GT.

Not sure what the GT stands for but the spec on the DG834 from netgear is located here:

Netgear Product Page

Product Data Sheet

I suppose the main highlights are 11g (54Mbps) speeds, Decent Firewall, NAT, UPNP,

"The DG834G gives you instant connectivity with or without wires, and works with your existing 802.11b devices as well as your new 54 Mbps 802.11g devices. A built-in ADSL2+ modem furnishes direct, always-on Internet connectivity and multi-user access sharing at downstream speeds of up to 24 Mbps. This powerful router distributes MP3s, digital movies and photos with ultra-fast 10/100 switched LAN ports capable of speeds of 200 Mbps, and shares a single IP address with up to 253 users.

Hassle Free
No need for a separate modem – this connects directly into your ADSL line. Built-in Port Forwarding settings, Universal Plug and Play (UPnP™) and Virtual Private Network (VPN) pass-through make it simple to play Internet games, send instant messages, and host Internet services. User interface matches your local language (English, French, German or Italian). It supports PCs, Macintosh®, and virtually all Ethernet devices, and comes with a free Ethernet cable for connecting your first computer.

Secure
Double Firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks, while VPN (Virtual Private Network) pass-through permits secure access to your office or corporate network and enables you to host VPN services. Content filtering lets you control access to inappropriate web sites and limit usage by time of day. Logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitor access. DMZ support allows unrestricted access from the Internet to one computer (for hosting web services)."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I use this modem already and its superb. The GT is higher data rate son the wireless, 54mbps to 108 if I remember correctly. Very stable and an excellant built in hardware firewall so I never use a software one and never get "hit".

Interesting as I already have all the hardware required if they would charge me the fee for an "Install"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I've got the GT at the moment.

The different between G and GT is that the latter supports wireless 108Mbps, whilst the former only 54Mbps (fine for most).

Great router.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howdy,

A quick call into Sky Broadband support (or rather two calls and a long wait!!!!) revealed that the router in use by Sky will beNetgear DG834GT.

Not sure what the GT stands for but the spec on the DG834 from netgear is located here:

Netgear Product Page

Product Data Sheet

I suppose the main highlights are 11g (54Mbps) speeds, Decent Firewall, NAT, UPNP,

"The DG834G gives you instant connectivity with or without wires, and works with your existing 802.11b devices as well as your new 54 Mbps 802.11g devices. A built-in ADSL2+ modem furnishes direct, always-on Internet connectivity and multi-user access sharing at downstream speeds of up to 24 Mbps. This powerful router distributes MP3s, digital movies and photos with ultra-fast 10/100 switched LAN ports capable of speeds of 200 Mbps, and shares a single IP address with up to 253 users.

Hassle Free
    No need for a separate modem – this connects directly into your ADSL line. Built-in Port Forwarding settings, Universal Plug and Play (UPnP™) and Virtual Private Network (VPN) pass-through make it simple to play Internet games, send instant messages, and host Internet services. User interface matches your local language (English, French, German or Italian). It supports PCs, Macintosh®, and virtually all Ethernet devices, and comes with a free Ethernet cable for connecting your first computer.

Secure
    Double Firewall using Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection from hacker attacks, while VPN (Virtual Private Network) pass-through permits secure access to your office or corporate network and enables you to host VPN services. Content filtering lets you control access to inappropriate web sites and limit usage by time of day. Logs browsing activities and provides optional e-mail alerts so you can monitor access. DMZ support allows unrestricted access from the Internet to one computer (for hosting web services)."
    A long list of features, very nice. But does it have an on/off switch?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    No I currently use the DG384GT and it has no physical on/off switch. Not sure if SKY will change this for there version of the router....
  • MarkyMarky Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *leaves his router on all the time*

why does it need an on off switch?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Seven wrote:
    A long list of features, very nice. But does it have an on/off switch?
    Why would it need an on/off switch?? The whole idea of broadband is that it's always on.

And if you're really that fussed, turn it off from the mains.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Marky wrote:
    *leaves his router on all the time*

why does it need an on off switch?
    It would come in handy to be able to leave it off when not needing the internet, and when my PC is turned off.

I don't really want to leave an internet connection on 24/7.

Do all routers not have an on/off swith Marky?
    Forum Member
    bhavinshah wrote:
    Why would it need an on/off switch?? The whole idea of broadband is that it's always on.

And if you're really that fussed, turn it off from the mains.
    Oh, you are SO smart, the whole idea of Broadband is that it's always on? Have you ever considered that a PC isn't on all time? That someone might be turning on your PC to use it for something else other than the internet?

:eek: Shock/horror, you can use a PC for other things? You can turn a PC off? :confused:

The whole idea of Broadband is using it at the same time as the telephone and faster speeds. 'Always on' doesn't matter as you still have to sign on with some ISP's such as AOL, even though the connection is 'on'. The whole point of broadband is that it is always on?! :rolleyes:

You sound like an advert to switch to Broadband from Dial-up, another case of someone who quotes everything they are told by and read in the media, word for word.

You might need to be connected to the internet EVERY second of the day, everyday, but a lot of people don't.

Thank you for your contribution bhavinshah. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, you are SO smart, the whole idea of Broadband is that it's always on? Have you ever considered that a PC isn't on all time? That someone might be turning on your PC to use it for something else other than the internet?

:eek: Shock/horror, you can use a PC for other things? You can turn a PC off? :confused:

The whole idea of Broadband is using it at the same time as the telephone and faster speeds. 'Always on' doesn't matter as you still have to sign on with some ISP's such as AOL, even though the connection is 'on'. The whole point of broadband is that it is always on?! :rolleyes:

You sound like an advert to switch to Broadband from Dial-up, another case of someone who quotes everything they are told by and read in the media, word for word.

You might need to be connected to the internet EVERY second of the day, everyday, but a lot of people don't.

Thank you for your contribution bhavinshah. :)
    Are you always so aggressive?

I've never seen an on/off switch on a home router - could be because they typically draw around 5 watts. About the same as a nightlight or in money terms well under 10p a week. If you want to turn it off to save energy then that's a very modest saving. Bear in mind in winter months the tiny amount of heat generated will decrease your heating bill proportionately!

If you're worried about the security of having a 24/7 connection then don't - the router's built-in firewall will protect you.

If you really want to turn it off then you'll have to pull the plug or switch it off at the socket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    saturday wrote:

I've never seen an on/off switch on a home router - could be because they typically draw around 5 watts. About the same as a nightlight or in money terms well under 10p a week. If you want to turn it off to save energy then that's a very modest saving. Bear in mind in winter months the tiny amount of heat generated will decrease your heating bill proportionately!

If you're worried about the security of having a 24/7 connection then don't - the router's built-in firewall will protect you.

If you really want to turn it off then you'll have to pull the plug or switch it off at the socket.

Dito what Saturday said. Also never seen a home router with an on/off switch. I turn mine of at the mains when I want to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mavrik wrote:
    Dito what Saturday said. Also never seen a home router with an on/off switch.
    Mine does - it's made by MRi...
  • speedyritespeedyrite Posts: 298
    Forum Member

The security of a PC running Windows XP can be enhanced by requiring a password to be input at startup. This would help to prevent access to and use of the PC by unauthorised users.

As for unauthorised use of the broadband connection via the router, this can be prevented by securing the wireless networking features (turn on security encryption, hide broadcast ssid etc). The Netgear DG834G (probably the same on DG834GT) also allows the wireless access point to be disabled when not required.
  • MarkyMarky Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would come in handy to be able to leave it off when not needing the internet, and when my PC is turned off.

I don't really want to leave an internet connection on 24/7.

Do all routers not have an on/off swith Marky?

i've used a number of routers, and also sold plenty more..
    none (as an integrated wireless router) that i know of, by the MAJOR brands, put an on/off switch on it.

I use a mac, which means i don't have to turn my computer off.. i know people who use PC's have to reboot occasionally and can't leave their machines on for 3 weeks without any loss of performance!
    M
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marky wrote:
    I use a mac, which means i don't have to turn my computer off.. i know people who use PC's have to reboot occasionally and can't leave their machines on for 3 weeks without any loss of performance!
    M

Just to be pedantic - that's only people with PCs running naff OSs

I don't have to reboot mine because I use Linux ;)

I sympathise with the question, though; as I also despair at the lack of hardware controls on modern equipment.
    Although I never turn my router off, I would like the option of disabling the wireless part without having to mess with software. And this isn't just about security - I might want to stop my kids staying up all night online in their bedrooms while still being able to use the (wired) connection myself.
    This can be done many ways - but a physical switch is often the easiest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    I would just leave the router on. Most hackers are trying to get at the attached PCs (Because they mostly only understand Windows OS) not the newwork devices. I agree turn off Broadcast SSID but I would not bother with encryption because a) It can and has been hacked (although it's bloody difficult) b) it slows things down. I secure my router by only allowing trusted MAC addresses onto it. That can be hacked as well but is even more difficult.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just leave the router on. Most hackers are trying to get at the attached PCs (Because they mostly only understand Windows OS) not the newwork devices. I agree turn off Broadcast SSID but I would not bother with encryption because a) It can and has been hacked (although it's bloody difficult) b) it slows things down. I secure my router by only allowing trusted MAC addresses onto it. That can be hacked as well but is even more difficult.
    Sorry to disagree but you're (very) wrong:

If someone is trying to get in to your wireless network, turning off SSID might delay them a few seconds. That doesn't mean it's not a sensible thing to do though.

Yes, WEP can be cracked (if you know how and have the tools) in as little as 3 minutes providing there's enough traffic (or if the traffic can be generated), but WPA-PSK?

I'd like you to demonstrate that crack in any reasonable amount of time. With 3.7x10^55 potential keys for a "good" password) and with a scanner/tool able to process maybe 60 words a second - that'll take longer than the age of the universe!

Mac scanning and spoofing is easily done in a few minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    i knw u can do this with most routers but i jus wanna check if i will be able 2 use sky's netgear router with wires like a modem and disable the wireless functions if i wanted 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    You can only turn the wireless off in the admin screen on a netgear but you can do it. Thats assuming Sky give access to all that stuff....
    Forum Member
    saturday wrote:

Another example! This person assumes they know my reasons. Do you know me? Do you know my reasons? Go away you assumptious person. :rolleyes:

I am not always 'agressive', silly people who talk as if they know everything annoy me, a lot. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another example! This person assumes they know my reasons. Do you know me? Do you know my reasons? Go away you assumptious person. :rolleyes:

I am not always 'agressive', silly people who talk as if they know everything annoy me, a lot. :D

And people who insult other people who are trying to be helpful annoy me too.

Your childish attitude, sarcastic tone, manners (and spelling) stinks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have a Thompson Speedtouch 580 wireless router and it has a ON/OFF switch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current router a Fritz box has no power switch as it does voip and I have a weather station that uploads every 15mins. Thus it is always on and powered from a UPS.

It does however offer a low power night service :)

FRITZ!Box Night Service
    The night service feature puts FRITZ!Box on standby.

Enable night service y/n

Switch off radio network (WLAN) y/n
    Turning off the radio network saves electricity. The radio network cannot be switched off as long as WLAN equipment is still active. The WLAN can be activated at any time using your telephone (key code #96*1*).

Enable Do Not Disturb setting y/n
    The Do Not Disturb setting keeps telephones from ringing.

Automan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    saturday wrote:
    Sorry to disagree but you're (very) wrong:

If someone is trying to get in to your wireless network, turning off SSID might delay them a few seconds. That doesn't mean it's not a sensible thing to do though.

Yes, WEP can be cracked (if you know how and have the tools) in as little as 3 minutes providing there's enough traffic (or if the traffic can be generated), but WPA-PSK?

I'd like you to demonstrate that crack in any reasonable amount of time. With 3.7x10^55 potential keys for a "good" password) and with a scanner/tool able to process maybe 60 words a second - that'll take longer than the age of the universe!

Mac scanning and spoofing is easily done in a few minutes.

minutes for a mac spoof? someones slow :p
    well the scanning part may take minutes but the spoofing part is as simple as poping the desired mac into macmakeup and pressing a button (on windows anyway)

also i believe theres an attack for wpa-psk where you target a workstation and flood it (or something like that) so it keeps getting chucked off and then you capture the handshake packets and eventually you get enough to decrypt them.

well thats what i read anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragon2611 wrote:
    also i believe theres an attack for wpa-psk where you target a workstation and flood it (or something like that) so it keeps getting chucked off and then you capture the handshake packets and eventually you get enough to decrypt them.
    Yes, that's sort of how you get the data to begin the crack.

The thing is that WPA only holds the key for a very short period of time then changes it. It is possible that you might retrieve enough Weak IV packets in one session before the key exchange takes place but only if a really simple short password has been used.

Use a "good" password and this becomes extremely challenging (at the moment). There is a vulnerability where it is possible to capture the key change but you'd have to be incredibly lucky.

WPA PSK (PSK being the "simpler" version), even with a simple password, is more than secure enough for a domestic environment. But the answer as always is that if someone wants something bad enough then there are ways to get it.

WPA2, which is a new standard uses a different encryption algorithm and is order of magnitudes harder to crack again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    saturday wrote:
    Yes, that's sort of how you get the data to begin the crack.

The thing is that WPA only holds the key for a very short period of time then changes it. It is possible that you might retrieve enough Weak IV packets in one session before the key exchange takes place but only if a really simple short password has been used.

Use a "good" password and this becomes extremely challenging (at the moment). There is a vulnerability where it is possible to capture the key change but you'd have to be incredibly lucky.

WPA PSK (PSK being the "simpler" version), even with a simple password, is more than secure enough for a domestic environment. But the answer as always is that if someone wants something bad enough then there are ways to get it.

WPA2, which is a new standard uses a different encryption algorithm and is order of magnitudes harder to crack again.

Its always a rat race, new security comes out, someone cracks it, new security comes out, it eventually gets cracked, And around we go again.

But your right about using encyption on the router i doubt someones going to sit there for hours/days trying to crack wpa just so they can go online and check their emails.

Anyone wanting to get in that badly has to be more interested in doing something bad.