Matsui Freeview M1602PVR

BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just to give you heads up (don't have a lot of time now)

Available from Currys/Dixons £149.99

This is definitely a Dual record PVR, no watching a third channel though like the Humax and Topfield.

160Gb HDD
Virgin box states 88 Hours free

Chase Play..........Yes

Time shift buffer.....2 Hours (lost if you change channel)

Autopadding........Yes not configurable (Adds I minute to start and 5 minutes to end unless another recording starts immediately after).

Repeat Timers.......Yes (Options are Daily, Weekly, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat).

Now and Next via the info button for all channels.

Autobookmark.......Yes, when you playback a previously viewed recording it asks where you want to start from ie the point to where you previosly viewed, or the start.

Menu options are: (Taken from manual)

Recorded Programmes list.....this lets you save, rename, delete or watch recorded programmes

Record.....this lets you record the current programme or schedule a recording.

Programme Guide.....list of programmes for 8 Days

Languages.....when a programme is broadcast in multiple languages, this lets you choose the language you listen to and on-screen text or subtitles that are displayed.

Favorites.....helps you move quickly between your favorite TV channels. You can have up to 10 Favorite lists.

System setup.....TV Setup, parental controls, set skip duration, change the name of recorded programmes

More later when I have had more time to play.

Comments

• FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great work Barry. You really are the pvr king with all your boxes.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Record radio.....Yes

Record subtitles.....Yes (as long as they are switched on in the languages menu)

In the recordings list you can mark multiple recordings for delete, when you exit the menu you are asked to confirm.

In the recordings list items can be marked as Keep (similar to Sky+)...this is important because:

When space on the HDD becomes limited, the oldest unprotected recordings will be deleted.

No Fan, appears to be quiet (but remember I am getting on a bit)

EPG from a cold start takes a while to fully populate, however it appears that it is saved in Standby, as it is available instantaneously (don't quote me on that one though).......however the look leaves a lot to be desired.

The screen display is as follows:

Top left third of the screen is the current channel tuned to. Top right is the highlighted programme synopsis.
    Bottom left third is the list of channels. Bottom right is the guide, 5 channels displayed.

Fast Forward and Rewind.....x3,6,12,24,48

Skip.....configurable 30 seconds, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, Minutes.

No of Timers.....well, it is over 30.

I'm bound to have missed something that someone is dying to know the answer to :D
  • Stephen AStephen A Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Barry. Confirms what we all knew must the case, i.e. its made by Access Devices and is a Fusion FVRT90/95 but with 2 tuners and a bigger hard disk. I have the single tuner FVRT90 and have been very pleased with it, mainly becuase it does what it says onthe tin, especially since the latest update. I do hope that in going down the dual tuner route Access Devices haven't bitten off more than they can chew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just reminded me with your post, I have forgotten to mention the software versions:

System Version - 1.3.1
    Elgist Version - 1.98.1
    MHEG Library - 1.9.10
    DSMCC Library - 2.13.0
    OAD Library - 2.5.1
    Menu Manager Library - 1.22.1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Certainly looks an intresting alternative to the Humax. One reason I didn't go for that was the fact that the epg wasnt saved every time you switched off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Oh one quick question, any chance of the measurements of the unit? Got to go in a cabinet so want to know if it will fit ok!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh one quick question, any chance of the measurements of the unit? Got to go in a cabinet so want to know if it will fit ok!

Dave, its approx 6cm high, 36cm wide, 25.5cm deep
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add on to Barrys posts for everyone watching...

sound wise I find the unit not as noisy as the fusion twin tuners but not as quiet as say a Humax.

The machine does not appear to actually go into standby. Like the Fusion, its all on with the same volume of sound coming from the unit but just cuts the output off. If you were to switch it on from propper off it would only take about 20 seconds. Switching 'on' from 'standby' is the same as a channel change as per Fusions

EPG takes about 6 minutes to populate most based on my one test with BBC1 (which I find the quickest and most comprehensive channel to gather Freeviews EPG. It is the freeview EPG.

The EPG is not saved to disk. But as per above with the machine not shutting down when in standby the data doesnt get flushed so easily.

The guide to view EPG is funny because the area given to programming is not much bigger than the little picture in guide screen.

Number of timers is 32 plus two instant recordings.

Its maybe a slightly less spec'd PVR to the Fusion 200 of similar price but its got some neat little touches of its own and a nice price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    The machine does not appear to actually go into standby. Like the Fusion, its all on with the same volume of sound coming from the unit but just cuts the output off.

The Access Devices site says -
    Power.....................Operating: 30W max
    Power.....................Standby: 8W (disk sleep)

so it must shut down to some degree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Marc, when you say it's quiter than a Fusion, but not as quiet as a Humax, is there any way of elaborating that.

I'm (still) looking for a box for a bedroom and currently have the fusion 100 which I find a tad noisy (at least the fan is noisy).

Is it a lot/little quiter than the fusion (as a rough guide)?
    Is it quiter in standby than when operating?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually you will be pleased to know that the hard disk spins down after a while :) This explains the power consumption figures too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One redeming factor for the EPG is.......say I pick a film on five that is interupted by the news (normal practice for five) you press record to schedule the first bit, and a message appears at the bottom of the EPG telling you that there is another programme of the same name on later, and you might want to schedule that as well.

Other examples if that is not clear. On Mondays there is 2 Coronation Street episodes, if you press record to book the first, the message reminds you there is another later you might like to record.

Next Tues Bad lads army at 9 on ITV, press record to schedule, and it reminds you that there is another programme later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The single tuner does that, too.

Great feature, any chance of some pics of the box, and software?

Also, is the front panel as sophisticated as the Humax? or basic like the Toppy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would have thought a searchable EPG might be possible in that case. But for £150 you cant complain. Thats a nice feature barry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:

Also, is the front panel as sophisticated as the Humax? or basic like the Toppy?

No facilities for piccys - sorry.

It looks very similar to the DigitalVision on sale in Currys ....would you agree Marc?

Edit

From the left

Power button, Green led for power, green led for indicacting play, and red led for record (flashes if using time shift)
    Main display is time in st/by or channel number when on.
    Menu button, then the cursor control with the Ok button central.

Remote is the same as per Currys picture for the DigitalVision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:
    any chance of some pics of the box, and software?

You used to be a pre production tester of all things Access Devices, not let you have a go on one of these then?.

I saw it in the shop, the case and connections are exactly the same as the Singles. tin posted a picture of the front, I hope he/she does mind me reposting the link HERE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telly_Man wrote:

Really basic front pannel but there is an led to the left of the display for when the unit is recording and trick mode or for playback.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    You would have thought a searchable EPG might be possible in that case. But for £150 you cant complain. Thats a nice feature barry.

Right..... who do we contact and harass :)

(I am only joking)

For £150, and from my limited use tonight, given what we have found out so far, I think this is very good value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry wrote:
    Right..... who do we contact and harass :)

(I am only joking)

For £150, and from my limited use tonight, given what we have found out so far, I think this is very good value.

Yeah me too. Its a shame the scheduled timer list doesnt tell you what the programmes are though. This needs to be fixed but we need a contact to harass as you say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick note to people interested jaak created a extraction utility for the single tuner Access Devices models in this thread
    It may work with the twin or if not he may be able to adapt it you ask nicely and provide the data he needs.

This requires removing the disk and I have not tried it but it may be of interest to some.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marcdavis wrote:
    Yeah me too. Its a shame the scheduled timer list doesnt tell you what the programmes are though, most odd.

If it is the same as the single tuner, to get the name you have to click on the timer entry, I think it is the OK button.
  • PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry wrote:

I'm bound to have missed something that someone is dying to know the answer to :D
    Thanks for the invite :) . All sounds good so far. Can you edit recordings, or rename titles and the like? Can you have folders?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you edit recordings
    If you mean cut out bits, split, join etc.........No
    rename titles
    Nope
    Can you have folders?
    No such facility.

But you can order by Date, Name, or even search by Genre.. these are All, Entertainment, Drama, News and Factual.

From the recordings list you can also preview in small window the recording by pressing the Info button.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rename titles
    Barry wrote:
    Nope

In your first post you were quoting from the manual and said "Recorded Programmes list.....this lets you save, rename, delete or watch recorded programmes"

With the single tuner models, the rename option was in that list but after update they moved it into a weird location I think menu - settings - recorded programme options - rename.

I doubt this option had been removed, maybe just moved again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firespire wrote:
    In your first post you were quoting from the manual and said "Recorded Programmes list.....this lets you save, rename, delete or watch recorded programmes"

With the single tuner models, the rename option was in that list but after update they moved it into a weird location I think menu - settings - recorded programme options - rename.

I doubt this option had been removed, maybe just moved again.

Top Man :)

Could I find it when I answered the above, could I 'eck...so I erred on the side of caution......your right it is in a weird locale.