Disconnection !

keithhillkeithhill Posts: 124
Forum Member
Does anyone keep on having disconnection drop outs?
Sometimes it can be after 15 mins sometimes an hour & sometimes it keeps connected for a few hours? I thought it said in the agreement that it was permanent connection on Max.

Glad to see that its not just me not being able to use the Home Page Username and password.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    They are probably identifying best speed for your line these tests can take up to a week and do cause sync issues. If after a week it still does it maybe some other kind of problem or they have set your speed to high for your line (but this is usually automatic but is known to misbehave sometimes).
  • KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    keithhill wrote:
    Does anyone keep on having disconnection drop outs?
    Sometimes it can be after 15 mins sometimes an hour & sometimes it keeps connected for a few hours? I thought it said in the agreement that it was permanent connection on Max.

Keith
    This happened to me yesterday after I got connected.It would work for 15-20 mins then cut out.This happened about 6 times. Incidentally download speed is 15.3.
    I phoned them up, and they went through everything in case I had screwed up. ( which believe me was entirely possible!!!)
    Everything was fine!! They asked if there was a mobile phone nearby, or a central heating unit, or even a fish tank !!! I thought it could be an electric clock which I have on my desk, but it wasn't that. I found that if just unplugged the router, and "re-plugged" within about 15 seconds, it all started to work ok. Today it cut out after about 2 hours this morning, but has been ok for 6 hours since then. Fingers crossed problem has resolved itself.
  • keithhillkeithhill Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Koala
    I have had my set up for a week and still the damm thing disconnects itself.
    as you said by disconnecting from the mains usualy does the trick,sometimes I have to boot the PC
    If you want a Gmail account so that you can run on Outlook please email me and I shall send an invite as its invatation only and trying to get a Googlemail/Gmail is like seaching for gold.
    (See User CP)
    Forum Member
    keithhill wrote:
    Koala
    I have had my set up for a week and still the damm thing disconnects itself.
    as you said by disconnecting from the mains usualy does the trick,sometimes I have to boot the PC
    If you want a Gmail account so that you can run on Outlook please email me and I shall send an invite as its invatation only and trying to get a Googlemail/Gmail is like seaching for gold.
    (See User CP)

Thanks for the offer Keith, but a very nice lady on here sent me an invitation earlier today and I got signed up. If that nice lady happens to read this, can I thank you very much indeed for your kindness.
    Back to the cutting off............that's been 10 hours now without a cut off, so maybe, just maybe, the problem has gone!! Will keep you posted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    keithhill wrote:
    Koala
    trying to get a Googlemail/Gmail is like seaching for gold
    (See User CP)

Its nice of you to give invitations but i got a link in me favourites which takes you directly to the gmail account creator page - so they definetly aint like gold dust to get :eek:
    Forum Member
    I am now on Dial up doing this post. I have lost all connection.
    It keeps cutting out every 10 mins and now it just wont connect.
    I have wasted so much time on the phone to sky and absolutley get nowhere. :mad: :confused:

Help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Logon to the Sky router, then check the WAN setup section and make sure this bit is enabled: Connect Automatically, as Required

If that hasn't been ticked, then that might be why it's disconnecting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    have you got a microfilter connected to all your phonesin the hosue and your router - i had a problem with a faulty micro filter when i was with virgin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Same problem here, average connection time is about 45 minutes. Then connection drops leaving computer very confused. It's not the WAN settings needing to connect automatically, thats already ticked. I've swapped all the microfilters, that's not the problem. Drops even when I plug into the router via an ethernet cable so its not an errant fish tank or other misc wireless problem. Come on sky, sort it out
  • YorkshireTeaYorkshireTea Posts: 1,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for BT and can tell you, if your router modem keeps dropping the connection at random times, not keeping connected 24/7, disconnects after 7 mins ect....

Its because your router hardware isnt compatible with the telephone exchange, you are using because its too old!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I work for BT and can tell you, if your router modem keeps dropping the connection at random times, not keeping connected 24/7, disconnects after 7 mins ect....

Its because your router hardware isnt compatible with the telephone exchange, you are using because its too old!

With respect, I find it hard to believe that a brand new router is "too old" :)
    Forum Member
    MrSam wrote:
    With respect, I find it hard to believe that a brand new router is "too old" :)

Perhaps he means the tel exchange is too old....
    Forum Member
    I think he is referring to the telephone Exchange Line!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I am quite afraid after hearing of these disconnection problems. I had been with BT for last 3 yrs without any problem till date. Although my download limit is still just 1mb and according to them my line can support a max of 3.5mb only. however, sky told me they had done a test and my line should support upto 13mb. I am roughly within 2 kms from my exchange as the crow flies. So i decided to switch to Max package and i have already put my order and gave them my MAC code.
    I wonder how many people have been experiencing this disconnection problem and is it related to putting in a high speed on unsuitable line???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    roy_rajat wrote:
    I am quite afraid after hearing of these disconnection problems. I had been with BT for last 3 yrs without any problem till date. Although my download limit is still just 1mb and according to them my line can support a max of 3.5mb only. however, sky told me they had done a test and my line should support upto 13mb. I am roughly within 2 kms from my exchange as the crow flies. So i decided to switch to Max package and i have already put my order and gave them my MAC code.
    I wonder how many people have been experiencing this disconnection problem and is it related to putting in a high speed on unsuitable line???

I'm in the same position. I have BT Broadband which is reliable. I put my order in yesterday for the Mid package. I'm expecting a bit of grief for the 1st 2 weeks as I've read on this forum that it takes that long to get the optimum speed for your specific line. Although, I must admit I'm a bit nervous on the quality of service I'll get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I've got the same problems with disconnections, but moreso with connecting in the first place. I've found changing the home page works too. If its the Sky homepage then you're screwed as its too slow so best change it.

But I'm still holding on hoping these initial glitches are temporary and Sky improve their service over the coming weeks.

BTW, does anyone know if its a breach of contract by SKy if disconnections keep happening?
  • YorkshireTeaYorkshireTea Posts: 1,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I didnt make my last post clear, I mean the telephone exchange is too old.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Have posted it in another thread but thought it could be worth repeating it.

When I first signed up to Pipex I was often getting disconnected, until I found that the filters supplied were rubbish. I replaced the filters and not had a problem since.
    If you have spares try a different one.

Hope this helps. At the moment I think I will stick with the filters I already have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    With your drop outs, was it the case that the wireless connection light would go out on your laptop/machine. And the speed would go to 1.0Mbps or was the wireless connection unaffected and just the internet not working?

I'm not sure if the problem is the line or the wireless in my case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    FWIW, I am also suffering from random disconnections. I have investigated and interestingly, it is not the ADSL itself that disconnects, but the PPP. (The router stats show this clearly.)

So, it seems that the problem may not be ADSL per se but the central servers / routers to which we connect. On the positive side, if I'm right (and that's a big IF) it should improve over time as Sky get their act together.

I've written a small tool that monitors a web site every 30 seconds for speed of loading and logs the result in a text file. It clearly shows the connection going after a random time. I've logged a call with support (got escalated straight to 3rd line) and will send them the results.

Someone asked if the problem relates to the absence of traffic. The answer is clearly not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    anyone that suffers disconnections is your log anything like this with chap failures.

Sun, 2006-09-10 19:39:28 - Administrator login successful - IP:192.168.0.2
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:43:09 - LCP down.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:43:13 - Initialize LCP.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:43:13 - LCP is allowed to come up.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:43:16 - CHAP authentication failed
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:43:16 - LCP down.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:44:13 - Initialize LCP.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:44:13 - LCP is allowed to come up.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:44:16 - CHAP authentication failed
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:44:16 - LCP down.
    Sun, 2006-09-10 19:45:13 - Initialize LCP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Not in my case - I only have successful CHAP authentication.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Check your SNR in the stats. If it is below 10 then your phonline maybe the problem, especially if you are runnin the ADSL from extension line. Read my other post about replacing the filters with a Hardwired connection on the Master BT socket.
    I have been doing a lot of reading up and apprantly anything less than 10db on the SNR means you could have problems with disconnections.

topic called 'line dropouts' may help you.