I got my R1 Lost Season Two DVD today (mini-review with spoilers inside!)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I like Lost, and so this morning I was thrilled when I saw my post had come from the USA. Here's a mini-review that has spoilers:

The Show: Well it's certainly better than than year. It seemed like they had a fixed plot, and stuck by it. A bit pissed off that they killed three core cast off, and have got rid of two others, but shit happens, right? My favourite episodes are the last two, because it's pretty much why I watch this show. Mysteries are solved, like how they crashed, and new ones are formed, like what that white light was. It also opens up the story for more of a science fiction narrative, but I wished they had more happening this year - like more island tales. Also it seems like the entire season only covered 5 or 6 weeks, which is a bit of a waste of a year. Rating: 4/5

The Transfer: Like last year's set, the transfer is solid. Obviously a show like Lost will over ever get justice when it's released on HD-DVD, but for a standard DVD show, it has no flaws. The island is lush green, the ocean is murky blue, and the Others still look like tramps. The surround sound mix is also great, but I felt it lacked any dynamic range, probably because there was no big SFX scene this year. Rating: 5/5

Packaging and Extras: Disney have done a decent job this year. There are a lot of features on the mystery and logic behind Lost, and those who play the Hanso Foundation game will probably get a thrill out of it. They also have many extended flashbacks, and suprisingly the Channel 4 Lost promo feature too. They also have a complete guide to how they make an episode, something I felt was missing from last year's release. The packaging is great too, probably the best TV-DVD one ever. It's rusty-orange, and is themed like the Hatch or the Others (proof that I'm not BSing is the first disk has the Hatch timer on it, the second has the Other's teddy bear). The DVD booklet is also a black-and-white Dharma-style manual. My only problem is that I'd have liked commentaries and more of an explanation to why the killed off Ana, Libby and Shannon. Rating: 5/5

Overall score: 5/5

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    They say they killed them off for shock factor. I dunno. But I don't think its the last we've seen of Libby, afterall she was in the finale too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zasin wrote:
    My only problem is that I'd have liked commentaries and more of an explanation to why the killed off Ana, Libby and Shannon. Rating: 5/5

I thought there was commentaries? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    How did you get it so early, isn't the release date 5 September?

Only asking as we just pre-ordered our copy on Monday from PlayUSA (I didn't realise the release date had changed, was October last time I looked) and would be over the moon if it arrived early and before E4 gets to the end.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mates? wrote:

No commentaries at all???

I would have thought the writers and producers would do some and what exactly are the likes of Maggie Grace doing its not like they are that busy not to do a commentary!
  • drystonewalldrystonewall Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lornski wrote:

Only asking as we just pre-ordered our copy on Monday from PlayUSA (I didn't realise the release date had changed, was October last time I looked) and would be over the moon if it arrived early and before E4 gets to the end.

It is 5 September on Amazon.com as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mates? wrote:

There are 5 episodes with commentary.

Good solid boxset and exceptional value for money and always nice to get it early:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I also received the boxset this morning, I ordered it months ago from CD-Wow! So I where quite surprised too as the official release date is September 5th.

Excellent boxset, and the Lost Connections special feature is quite cool.

Andy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's just been posted.
  • mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lornski wrote:

As you ordered yours from PLAYUSA be prepared to stump up about £8 -£10 extra for customs and import duty.
    And they also source their R1 discs from Canada.
    IIRC Canadian Buena Vista releases are awful dual language covers messed with lots of French titling.
    You should have ordered from Movietyme.
    Its the same price as PLAYUSA but they are all US discs and don't arrive with nasty customs messages.
    Let us know if your PLAYUSA order misses customs(some do)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    There are 5 episodes with commentary.
    I couldn't find them. Enlighten me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zasin wrote:
    I couldn't find them. Enlighten me.

They are listed in the white booklet (Extended Experience Guide) that comes in the boxset.

Episodes 1, 9, 10, 16 and 18.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    What are the easter eggs on it? Did you find anything about The lost Experience (if you know what that is) on it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only found one so far- on phase 3 of the extras disc-very short
    Forum Member
    description?
    Forum Member
    Is it the new Orientation video that was shown at Comic-Con?

Sorry for doubleposting, I can't edit my previous post
  • thirstyelephantthirstyelephant Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone tell me where is the best place to buy this on the net would be? I got Season one though an Amazon seller but I would like to pre order and I'm not sure if i pre order it on Amazon.com it would still come to the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone tell me where is the best place to buy this on the net would be? I got Season one though an Amazon seller but I would like to pre order and I'm not sure if i pre order it on Amazon.com it would still come to the UK.

Pre-order, people have had their boxsets for over a week:)

Anyhow Movietyme more often than not have good prices and no customs or delivery issues.
    Loaded also compares well and at times can undercut other R1 suppliers, no customs problems either.

There will be some more but I stick to the retailers who have performed reliably over the last few years:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    Movietyme are customs free and their prices match PLAYUSA who aren't.
    USA boxsets are rarely worth preordering via Amazon as Amazon packaging attracts customs,and Marketplace sellers don't seem able to sell them until after release date
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mongosito wrote:
    I agree.
    Movietyme are customs free and their prices match PLAYUSA who aren't.

Movietyme can't guarantee no customs charge unless they lie on the parcel about the price or content of the parcel. And that can lead to even more trouble (for them, not you).

I order a lot from PlayUSA and if you're ordering something liable to a custom charge it really does seem to be purely luck, went through a streak of getting charged customs a while back, but recently they've been getting through, the latest South Park and Veronica Mars, £20 and £30 respectively, both got through fine.

And they don't seem to make dual language cases for box-sets, so you should be pretty safe if you order from a Canadian based site. (My copy of the Simpsons S5 came with a dual language case, but it was an extra box around the normal, English language one).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Movietyme can't guarantee no customs charge unless they lie on the parcel about the price or content of the parcel. And that can lead to even more trouble (for them, not you).

I order a lot from PlayUSA and if you're ordering something liable to a custom charge it really does seem to be purely luck, went through a streak of getting charged customs a while back, but recently they've been getting through, the latest South Park and Veronica Mars, £20 and £30 respectively, both got through fine.

And they don't seem to make dual language cases for box-sets, so you should be pretty safe if you order from a Canadian based site. (My copy of the Simpsons S5 came with a dual language case, but it was an extra box around the normal, English language one).
    Movietyme stuff is posted to you from within the UK,so no customs charges,just like Enterprises dvd do.
    If £18+ items from PLAYUSA get through without charges,its potluck.

And they DO create dual language boxes for boxsets.
    The 14 disc Planet of the Apes set is hideously dual language.
    Dual language depends on which company the release is from.
    I'm sure I've had dual language from Disney before,but then again I have Lost season 1 and thats not DL,so perhaps Buena Vista don't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I just ordered mine from Movietyme so hopefully will recieve it this week some time :D

Can't wait as I have tried not to read all spoilers so I have no idea how it ends. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just got mine today and watched the last 3 episodes and I'm left wondering what on earth that ending meant? does it mean they have found the Island or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike last year when our R1 sets enabled us to get well ahead of C4,this year there's not too many to go so C4 are likely to finish before me,but like every other US series I've watched since 2001,LOST is a dvd exclusive for me.
    However,unlike season 1 I am already finding the show a bit tiresome after only 5 episodes.
    Since discovering what was in the hatch it seems to have lost its way and often you get to the end of an episode and find you are no further in knowing anything than you were at the start of the episode.
    While the idea was appealing to begin with I think a lot of people are going to get fed up with the endlessly strung out storylines that no doubt when they are explained will fit on the back of a matchbox.
    Piling confusion upon confusion is fine,but I would like at least some secrets given away.
    If this carries on I may well not bothering to catch up until its completed and that at least means I should be able to get it on HDDVD by then