Ideal Shopping: 12 more years on Freeview.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
Forum Member
Ideal Shopping said that under the new deal, its fee will increase with the retail prices index, but that it has secured its position on Freeview until 2018.
Just the sort of bad news we really don't need on a Monday morning.

(Source)

Comments

• NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    oh no, :(, what we (the freeview) viewers can do is not watch the channel and once they relise we dont want it they will relise we dont want it. we want more good channels not shopping
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Just to think in early 2004 Ideal World was the best they could get to fill the fourth and final video stream on Multiplex D. Apparently Crown Castle even asked OFCOM to try and find a general entertainment channel to fill the slot but with no success. By early 2005 any free slots on Freeview were going for silly money. If only ITV and Channel 4 had had a crystal ball in 2004, eh?
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    i wish i had some money and a crystal ball in 2004 :p that would of been a fine investment :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    DelArFon wrote:
    Just to clarify, as I realised my error just too late to edit my original post, the source URL should be:-
    http://www.hemscott.com/news/latest-news/item.do?newsId=35847944882252
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That deal is subject to NGW getting the next Mux licence I would of thought, as the existing licence runs our in 2012 ish :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news as far as i'm concerned. I quite like watching Ideal World, some of the stuff (e.g. dvd-rw players, karcher pressure washer, summer bargains, xmas stuff) imo is quite good value, although I don't think i'd ever buy off a tele-shopping channel it's much more entertaining than the quiz sh*t we have on freeview and more entertaining than Quality Value Crap :D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Quirky Valueless Crap. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Oh joy oh joy oh joy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Good news as far as i'm concerned. I quite like watching Ideal World, some of the stuff (e.g. dvd-rw players, karcher pressure washer, summer bargains, xmas stuff) imo is quite good value, although I don't think i'd ever buy off a tele-shopping channel it's much more entertaining than the quiz sh*t we have on freeview and more entertaining than Quality Value Crap :D:D:D:D

how dare you :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, now every one of us are allowed to express our opinion :D
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    personaly ideal world is better than the other 3 shopping channels
  • MadMullaMadMulla Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronnie1333 wrote:

Exactly even when they are wrong. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting info here: http://www.idealworld.tv/csp/isd/ideal/PDF/IDSInterim2006.pdf

Particularly that... "The previous pricing structure, under which Ideal paid both a commission on sales and a fixed annual fee, has been simplified to a fixed fee which rises with the RPI"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I see nothing wrong with shopping channels, they are a boon for the housebound. And i enfoy the tech items, quiz channels are the real waste of space!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what he said:
    ronnie1333 wrote:
    MADMULLA wrote:
    Exactly even when they are wrong. :D

I may be wrong, but after watching QVC sometimes on Freeview all I see is crap, especially some of the presenters. At the end of the day everyone's entitled to their own opinion and that was mine! Sorry if you don't like it, don't take it too personal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oghma wrote:
    I see nothing wrong with shopping channels, they are a boon for the housebound. And i enfoy the tech items, quiz channels are the real waste of space!

I got the same opinion as you, and have used Bid TV and Price Drop, items always turn up, and are as stated, and besides they are good for a laugh sometimes. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    ronnie1333 wrote:
    I got the same opinion as you, and have used Bid TV and Price Drop, items always turn up, and are as stated, and besides they are good for a laugh sometimes. :D

Good for a laugh alright! i remember when Ideal had a kids helecopter remote control type thing, the presenter made for some great entertainment trying to fly the thing ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well its now official from NGW

http://www.uk.nationalgridwireless.com/pr_20060904.shtml

I thought that their DTT Mux licence ran out before 2018, any body know?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Yes, it runs out in 2014, which is when the original agreement was due to finish. They can't extend any contract beyond that date as it is not guaranteed that they will have any multipex licence to carry the channel on.

I assume this agreement has the caveat that NGW get their mux D licence renewed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to think in early 2004 Ideal World was the best they could get to fill the fourth and final video stream on Multiplex D. Apparently Crown Castle even asked OFCOM to try and find a general entertainment channel to fill the slot but with no success. By early 2005 any free slots on Freeview were going for silly money. If only ITV and Channel 4 had had a crystal ball in 2004, eh?

I don't understand why the shopping channels don't sell their slots to the highest bidder, surely there must now be quite a number of channels with real content that would love to be on Freeview?
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why the shopping channels don't sell their slots to the highest bidder, surely there must now be quite a number of channels with real content that would love to be on Freeview?
    Like anyone, they calculate whether the profit they make from selling stuff on Freeview exceeds the amount they would get from selling their slots.

I would imagine that they sell quite a bit, given that there are a lot fewer channels, including shopping channels, than on satellite.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like anyone, they calculate whether the profit they make from selling stuff on Freeview exceeds the amount they would get from selling their slots.

I would imagine that they sell quite a bit, given that there are a lot fewer channels, including shopping channels, than on satellite.
    the only good one on sky is max tv
  • Lee WLee W Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think this shows that all these press reports about bidding wars for freeview channel spaces were false. As ideal world only make around £3 or 4 million a year. So if they can afford to sign up for 12 more years the channel spaces must be quite cheap.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee W wrote:
    I think this shows that all these press reports about bidding wars for freeview channel spaces were false. As ideal world only make around £3 or 4 million a year. So if they can afford to sign up for 12 more years the channel spaces must be quite cheap.

But if you say to someone, I'll pay you a reasonable amount for your product for at least 12 years - you would take the offer, rather than risk having nothing to fill it at a higher rate.