Migration Hell

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
I ordered SKY broadband on 6 aug and was promised installation for 17 aug,i gave SKY my MAC
from BT.The next day SKY tried several times to contact me but just
hung up ,so i had to contact them .SKY said there was a problem with the exchange and
my install date would be put on hold .SKY could not tell me when i could get connected
to them but promised it would be soon.

Then on 16 aug my BT broadband went down ,i rang BT and was told my line
was ok and it was my router at fault.I rang NETGEAR who supply my router,after the usual
checks the router had still failed to connect to BT.

So had to go to PCWORLD to pick up a new NETGEAR router,got home and found that i had
a connection but i could not log in to BT using my username and password (CHAP FAIL).

I rang BT TECH SUPPORT , which took 20 mins to get a BT advisor and told them my
problem.Then i was told i did not have a active account and my BT broadband had ceased.

I was hoping to get things sorted but after 40 mins i was cut off.Before ringing back BT
i thought that i would ring SKY and find out what was going on.They told me my SKY broadband
was not live and i had no connection to them and that my account was still reporting
a problem at the exchange.

So rang BT TECH SUPPORT ,another 20 min wait and told them my problem again ,more than
a hour later BT was able to get my account active so i could connect to them.

Still i could not access BT broadband and my router would report a CHAP FAIL.
It had already taken me 5 hours to get this far .By the end of the day it had
taken me 10 hours of phone calls to SKY,NETGEAR AND BT and still i could not resolve the
problem.

The next day i decided to exchange my NETGEAR router ,incase it was faulty but even
found the this one to report the same error.

I had to wait a few days while BT would do checks and all came back ok.

9 DAYS later now 25 august with still no broadband and still no real answers i rang BT in a attempt to
talk to someone at the highest level.

Someone at BT said i had a split line -and my Broadband was with another supplier.Then everything
was beginning to make sense.I could not get BT broadband because put simply SKY had
taken over my line and i would need to get another MAC
to get my BT broadband active on the line.

Also SKY had misled me to believe that i was not connected to them when in fact i was,i told SKY
several times i was because my NETGEAR router would report to me my line status
and i knew i had a adsl2 line but if their computers said i was not they could do nothing.

With all the facts to hand i rang SKY and guess what they said?

My service was up and running but for some strange reason did not show that information
until a high-level user at SKY could access it.I was then promised connection once my router
turns up which should have taken no more than 10 days.

Now SKY have lost my router and cannot explain where it is.
Parceline who would have delivered have no record of it and SKY could only tell me when
it should have been despatched.

I now have to wait until tomorrow when the provisions department have promised me
a ringback to give me my new delivery date.I have asked them to send it next day
delivery and i will pay for the extra cost but everyone must wait up to 10 days!

SKY have given me £25 compensation credit on my account for all the inconvienence caused!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Just when i thought it could not get any worse it has.Now i have been checking my
    line status with my NETGEAR router every day since i knew i was connected to SKY and now
    that is down and i dont have any DSL light which means even when my SKY router turns up
    i cannot connect to SKY.

So i rang SKY again ,firstly to get a update on my router and find out when i will get it
    and to find out why i had lost connection to them.The SKY advisor told me there was still
    a problem with the exchange!It looks like i have gone back to square one again.
    After speaking to over 60 people since i lost my BT
    broadband over 3 weeks ago i am getting nowhere.

Got to speak to a team leader and i hope that she with all the information i have given her
    will be able to give me some answers but that wont be until tomorrow .

I have just seen a report on another forum and it looks like
    SKY broadband is down across the UK ! That would explain
    why i have lost connection.
    Forum Member
    Have now been updated by the SKY provision team who say there is a problem so i cannot use the
    SKY broadband service at this time :confused: They are looking
    at a way around it but have told me my order may have to be ceased.

It seems that SKY are in a real mess to tell me one day im up and running and then the next im not . :mad:

BT say im connected to SKY and have given me the circuit ID im now
    on .There is too much conflict from both sides i dont know
    who to believe any more :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Ouch, this sounds horrible. I just ordered today and will be migrating from another ISP. fingers crossed I don't experience the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Yes this sounds like a sorry state of affairs. I got a phone call on Saturday from one of the reps via the dialler requesting my MAC code. I gave the MAC code and then asked to speak to one of there supervisors (prior to this I was told that I should provide the MAC code once the TV Service had been installed - due this Saturday). The supervisor told me that it would take upto 5 days to get my broaband migrated to Sky.

Did I beleive him ? No way matey ! Then I called Sky again on Monday and they had no recollection of someone calling me on the Saturday also telling me that I should have my router on that day or Monday. The chap took my MAC code again and has managed to process my order. He told me that this would take upto 10 days to process which seemed more honest and reasonable.

I just checked on the BT web site today and my existing "BT IPSTREAM MAX" is set to be CEASED by 25 Sep and a PROVIDE for "LLU LINE SHARE PSTN" (which I assume is Sky Broadband) is set for 20 September. Does this make sense for a migration ?

Cheers,

Nealesh
    Forum Member
    I have made several more phone calls since my last post in a attempt to speak to the provision team .

My first attempt and they say still a issue with my activation and wont tell me what it is and was never activated .

My second attempt im activated but their is a issue!

Checked with BT order tracking site and found the line share
    order completed 16 august.

Also checked with BT wholesale and they told me
    there was no issue with my line and the order went ahead also on august 16.

Checked my SKY statement and found two activation dates 25 august and 5 th september.

I can never get to speak to a manager on the provision team and the times i have
    been though to provisions they break their promises to ringback to update me on conflicts.

OFCOM advise me to send letter by registered post to SKY to outline all the problems i have had but cannot help me any further.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    nealesh wrote:
    I just checked on the BT web site today and my existing "BT IPSTREAM MAX" is set to be CEASED by 25 Sep and a PROVIDE for "LLU LINE SHARE PSTN" (which I assume is Sky Broadband) is set for 20 September. Does this make sense for a migration ?

This just means that you'll be connected to Sky on the 20th and your old ISP's service will have ceased by the 25th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member

I can never get to speak to a manager on the provision team and the times i have
    been though to provisions they break their promises to ringback to update me on conflicts.

I spoke to Provisions today as I had been advised to call them although he didn't know why I was to call!! When asked about call backs for updates he categorically stated they have no ability to do this as Provsions is an Inbound Call Centre, what a load of old tosh. Provisions should be calling the customer rather than sending letters which will be days old when received asking us to call them.
  • paulgothpaulgoth Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am also have migration hell !

I am currently with Tiscali. Phoned them to get my MAC code but was told I am on an LLU exchange. Therefore my line would have to be freed up before it can go to someone else. This won't be until month end when my contract with expires.

By which time, my sign up code for Sky Broadband will have expired and I'll join the back of the queue to get a new one. Therefore leaving me with no broadband at all for a number of weeks until its all sorted out !

Almost starting to wish I'd left everything as it was instead of chasing the 'free' deal......
  • cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulgoth wrote:
    I am also have migration hell !

I am currently with Tiscali. Phoned them to get my MAC code but was told I am on an LLU exchange. Therefore my line would have to be freed up before it can go to someone else. This won't be until month end when my contract with expires.

By which time, my sign up code for Sky Broadband will have expired and I'll join the back of the queue to get a new one. Therefore leaving me with no broadband at all for a number of weeks until its all sorted out !

Almost starting to wish I'd left everything as it was instead of chasing the 'free' deal......

I had that problem with Tiscali so rang Sky & told them the problem & Sky held open my special code until my line was free !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    FYI, there is a major problem with the hardware SKY have installed at the exchanges.
    This information came from a SKY rep who admitted this to my son who has been trying for weeks to get his SKY broadband connection working. He could not confirm when this will be fixed, but it will be weeks or possibly months before they do anything about it. :mad:

Of course there may be other unrelated problems that people have encountered, but in the main it is a hardware fault, especially in the London region, that is the cause.
    Don't be fobbed off with any other lame excuses.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of getting SKY broadband and hasn't done so yet is WAIT!!

Definitely DO NOT cancel any existing subscription to your current ISP until you are absolutely sure that SKY broadband is up and working properly in your area.
  • paulgothpaulgoth Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks cockney - I have mailed them to ask if they can keep my code open for me.

sqareeyes - I fear it is too late for me as my cancellation with Tiscali is already under way. Plus how do we know if its working in our area or not unless we know someone who has it ?

If the worst happens, I'll just have to go back and start again with someone else !!!!

As usual, with technology these days, fine when its working, a nightmare when you want to change or update anything.........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Sqareeyes, nice advice but how do you expect anyone to keep old ADSL active while trying new ADSL provider whether it's up and running?

You either have to have two separate BT lines at home, or your current provider to be cable (NTL for example).

I don't know whether people have constant issues with NTL but unless they do I would recommend them to keep their cable internet and not be tempted by Sky "offers". (which don't seem to materialise for a lot of people anyway).

In my previous flat NTL/Telewest was always fine. Too bad they can't offer it in the current one because they are not allowed to run cable to the building. So I'm stuck with ADSL over BT line.

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    how do we know if its working in our area or not unless we know someone who has it ?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that.
    My information came from "Tier Three Support" at SKY, so I can only suggest you try to contact them and ask.
  • johnofhertfordjohnofhertford Posts: 279
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sqareeyes wrote:
    FYI, there is a major problem with the hardware SKY have installed at the exchanges.
    This information came from a SKY rep who admitted this to my son who has been trying for weeks to get his SKY broadband connection working. He could not confirm when this will be fixed, but it will be weeks or possibly months before they do anything about it. :mad:

Of course there may be other unrelated problems that people have encountered, but in the main it is a hardware fault, especially in the London region, that is the cause.
    Don't be fobbed off with any other lame excuses.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of getting SKY broadband and hasn't done so yet is WAIT!!

Definitely DO NOT cancel any existing subscription to your current ISP until you are absolutely sure that SKY broadband is up and working properly in your area.

Rubbish that hardware is the same hardware Easynet have been running UKOnline services from for some time.

Try again Mr Sky rep.
    Forum Member
    Been waiting since August 16 and now seems like things moving in the
    right direction ! Sky have now completed cease/reprovide order on my
    line which took me over 4 weeks of telephone calls to provisions dept.
    Now recieved my activation date -25/10/06 and now have my sky
    broadband box .

Unfortunely i wont be saving much for the next 12 months because i
    got BT Broadband ADSL MAX activated on my second line about a month ago and yes all is not well with that connection,getting just 1 meg on what should
    be 6 meg ,less than a mile from the exchange, just more headache for me !