Options

Getting a Sky Digibox to play through the PVR

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
My wife bought a PVR-9200T at the weekend, after it seemed our old VCR packed up.

I'm trying to say I am a newbie to this kind of technology. I know I cannot be the first person to ask this question but how do get a SKY Digibox to play through the PVR?

We were told by the shop it can be done. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    You can't record programmes from the Sky digibox; there is no SCART input socket. All you can record are programmes broadcast in Freeview, and received by a terrestrial aerial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but you can use the scart passthrough to the tv if that is what you are asking. Connect the sky box to one of the scart sockets (oviously not the TV out) and use the source button to view this signal on the TV.

With the TV showing the humax channel and the sky box on pressing source should switch between freeview and sky. I don't use this myself but I think it works fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    albec02 wrote:
    My wife bought a PVR-9200T at the weekend, after it seemed our old VCR packed up.

I'm trying to say I am a newbie to this kind of technology. I know I cannot be the first person to ask this question but how do get a SKY Digibox to play through the PVR?

We were told by the shop it can be done. :confused:

There's two scarts on the back of the HUMAX. I forget the exact labelling, but one will probably say TV Out. Connect this scart, quite obviously, to your television set’s first scart socket (the RGB enabled one). You may then connect your Sky Digibox to the remaining scart on the back of the Humax. On the Sky Digibox end, make sure you plug the cable into the scart that is labelled 'TV Out' or similar. If you want to daisy chain another device, connect it to the remaining scart socket on the Sky box.

You'll be pleased to know that the 9200T can pass-through an RGB signal. Your Sky Digibox should be capable of this too.

When your Humax is turned on, turning the Sky Digibox on will make the Humax auto-switch to the Digibox. To switch between the two devices, press the 'Source' button on your Humax remote control. It's located beneath the flap.

As the previous poster said, you cannot record external sources with the PVR. So therefore you cannot record Sky channels on your Humax.
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do it the other way round,that is connect the Freeview box to the VCR scart of Sky everything will work fine.
    If the Humax is switched on it will override Sky.
    So if you want to watch Sky the Humax needs to be in standby,but it will record without problems even if you are watching Sky,and you can simply watch your recordings when you don't wany Sky on.
    No need to press any other buttons .
    Switch Sky on to watch Sky.
    Switch Sky off and Humax on to watch Freeview---simple.
    If you forget to switch Sky off you can still watch Freeview
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I did of course consider that the words "play through" might mean purely using the Humax as a signal path, rather than plugging straight into the TV, but since the purchase seems to have been motivated by the failure of a VCR, and a Sky digibox doesn't record, I deduced that the intention was to record Sky prograammes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I am wondering.
    When one connects as a daisy chain as suggested. Do all the items in the chain have to be in standby mode, or will the signal be passed through the scarts even if if some items are powered off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    aluk wrote:
    I am wondering.
    When one connects as a daisy chain as suggested. Do all the items in the chain have to be in standby mode, or will the signal be passed through the scarts even if if some items are powered off.

I think that most boxes will need to be in standby to pass RGB through.

One issue I have found with daisy chaining is that say you have a chain running backwards from the TV such as this :-

TV <- DVD Recorder/VCR <- DTTV receiver <- Satellite rcvr

Let's say you are making an important recording from DTTV to DVD/VHS. Now, depending on the equipment, if the Satellite receiver wakes up from standby (timer or manual button press) it may cause the DTTV receiver to give way to its output and so the recording is spoiled.

Careful planning can avoid this but another way is to open up the SCART plug connecting into the DTTV receiver and disconnect pin 8. Then the DTTV box will not see the signal raised by the Satellite box and will ignore it. It's usually easiest to do this with cheap SCART leads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Thanks guylj

In the last reply you have helped with several of the problems I have been having.

aluk
  • Options
    TimA-CTimA-C Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    I suspect albec02 & Mrs albec02 probably wanted a replacement for the dead VCR i.e. something to record programmes off Sky, in which case they would've done better to get either just a DVD recorder or a DVD recorder with a hard drive. Maybe even a DVD recorder with VCR built in if they have tapes they want to keep/convert to DVD.