Options

What's in glass that blocks a Sat signal?

tr_ramsgatetr_ramsgate Posts: 866
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been playing around with my Lidl SL65 receiver with an indoor dish and found that I have to have the window open to get a signal from the SKY satellite. But I did manage to get Atlantic Bird through glass, though signal quality knocked back.

As it happens the glass in the window is at right angles to the beam from the satellite for Atlantic Bird, but at an angle of perhaps 40 degrees off the beam for Astra 28.

However, when I put a sheet of perspex in the open window (to cut the draught) the signal strength and quality are barely changed ie 71% becomes 70%.

What's in the glass that is impeding the signal? Why doesn't the same thickness perspex barely affect the signal?

The glass I am talking about may be as old as the house ie early 1800's. Would modern glass be different?

Comments

• Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lead in the glass will affect reception, older the glass more lead. Similar with double glazing two sheets of glass more lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does all glass have signal blocking metal content? Could I reglaze with something that lets the signal through as easily as perspex?

It's very convenient using a dish indoors. It's a doddle to change satellites and far cheaper than a motorised system.

By the way, how do owners of motorised systems deal with the fact that the LNB has to be tilted differently for different satellites. The motor only drives the pole and the tilt of the dish, doesn't it?

LNB tilt for Astra 28 is 12 degrees anticlockwise, but for Atlantic Bird is a few degrees in opposite direction.
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, how do owners of motorised systems deal with the fact that the LNB has to be tilted differently for different satellites. The motor only drives the pole and the tilt of the dish, doesn't it?

Exactly - the LNB is fitted to the Arm in the dead upright position for the due South Satellite relevant to your location - as you rightly say, the dish, along with the Arm and LNB "tilts" as it traverses the Arc, thus automatically skewing the LNB to remain in the perfect attitude for each Satellite.

It's all done by the design of the locus described by the Motor Stub.

Clever stuff - yet so effective. Elevation and Skew all taken care of simply by initiating a change of Azimuth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment I suport my Sky elliptical dish (sans pole)with a book under the LNB arm, the whole resting on a small round table in my south facing bay window.

To change azimuth, I rotate the table. To change elevation, I slide the book towards the dish or towards the LNB, depending on whether I wish to raise or lower the elevation.

If I could make a manually operated support that tracks in an arc like in motorised dishes, then switching satellites would be as simple as lining up on this chimney or that lamp-post.

Any ideas for such a design?

By the way the LNB is a Skyware Universal quad with markings of from -30 to +30 round the barrel and markings of 2,3,4 (very close together) on the collar.

Clearly it is meant to click into positions corrresponding to the 2,3,4 markings - which positions are easily set by slackening the collar.

But what do these positions relate to?

The -30 to +30 is clearly for setting skew with the zero position looking about right for the skew for SKY at 28 degrees.

But when you slacken the collar, the LNB doesn't really want to be at any other skew than where it slots into the 2 3 4 positions (all of which produce pretty much the same skew).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dare you to read this article on EM spectrum absorption in Silica glass...
    http://ppl.creol.ucf.edu/pub-189.pdf
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Interesting article Bob_Cat, not really applicable to the frequencies used at k band though.
    At 12 GHZ wavelength is 2.5cms, if my rusty maths is right :o
    WH
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    WelshH@rp wrote:
    Interesting article Bob_Cat, not really applicable to the frequencies used at k band though.
    At 12 GHZ wavelength is 2.5cms, if my rusty maths is right :o
    WH
    2.5cm in free space, but the speed of light is lower in glass, so closer to 1.6cm there.

Even so, that article is looking at light/UV frequencies, but it does refer to hydroxyl ions. Water is a pretty good absorber of microwaves (witness the effect of rain/hail on a satellite signal) so I suppose it's possble that the hydroxyl ions in the glass could absorb microwaves at 11GHz or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought. Could the glass be refracting the satellite beam so that appears to be coming from a different place in the Sky and therefore dish not focusing the beam on the LNB.
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be - when this topic has come up before, people have reported getting varying results depending upon the angle of the Dish relative to the plane of the glass.
  • Options
    JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Logical - it refracts light. I think I read somewhere that rain cloud nuisance is dependent upon the angle. But it might only be the "opaque" effect - 2.4GHz WiFi is somewhat blocked by "K" glass and I don't think that that depends upon angle of incidence, etc.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a thought. Could the glass be refracting the satellite beam so that appears to be coming from a different place in the Sky and therefore dish not focusing the beam on the LNB.

Providing the glass is flat and parallel refraction would not bend the beam - merely displace it to one side ( refraction nearer to the vertical going in and refraction away from the vertical coming out)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absorption by glass is the major cause have you never felt the difference in temperature between using glass and clear plastic in a domestic microwave?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an interesting idea for testing samples of materials before re-glazing.

Is the microwave oven frequency close enough to satellite frequencies for the test to be revealing?

Have you ever noticed any glass dishes that don't get warm in a microwave? I haven't got one myself. Still cooking on a 1980 gas cooker. And my electric toaster probably dates from the fifties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From wikipedia

The microwave range includes ultra-high frequency (UHF) (0.3-3 GHz), super high frequency (SHF) (3-30 GHz), and extremely high frequency (EHF) (30-300 GHz) signals.

Satellite and Radio Microwave frequency bands
    Designation Frequency range
    L band 1 to 2 GHz
    S band 2 to 4 GHz
    C band 4 to 8 GHz
    X band 8 to 12 GHz
    Ku band 12 to 18 GHz
    K band 18 to 26.5 GHz
    Ka band 26.5 to 40 GHz
    Q band 30 to 50 GHz
    U band 40 to 60 GHz
    V band 50 to 75 GHz
    E band 60 to 90 GHz
    W band 75 to 110 GHz
    F band 90 to 140 GHz
    D band 110 to 170 GHz

Most satellites are in the C to Ku bands

Typical microwave ovens operate at around 2.4GHz.

Most plastics do not heat up in a microwave to the same extent as glass so would appear to absorb a lot less of the microwave energy.

Whether the absorption is related to power or not may be a different matter. Satellite dishes are receiving in the milliwatt to microwatt range compared to the 600+ Watts of a microwave oven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking further on this - reflection may also be a major factor - dishes are now being made from glass fibre and other transparent plastics as well as the traditional metal: see this page
    http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dishes are now being made from glass fibre and other transparent plastics
    And have for a long time. All with wire mesh embedded in them. :)