Options

Sky are useless

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
Forum Member
Oh dear,
After cancelling my orange account last Tuesday Sky have still failed to connect me to broadband giving the excuse that there is a fault at the Leicester BT exchange.I got the feeling that this could go on for weeks and still no one at sky has bothered to explain why.I'am on dial up again just to get on here. :(

Anyone know if I am I within my rights to cancel and go to another provider or should I wait a while first?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Are you on Montfort? I am and have been waiting a week for them to activate me as they say there is a problem with the card I'm connected to.

They just seem to have gotten their selves into a right pickle over all this. :(

I just wish they'd give me a date where they'll have it fixed so I can get on with the rest of my life!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I agree a total waste of time....I have today cancelled my broadband with sky prior to it going active. It was due to go live on Wednesday according to BT but sky could not confirm the migration date nor could they confirm when the router will arrive as they are not scanned so there is no way of tracking it. they could not confirm 100% if the pop and SMTP servers are working let alone supported.

This morning it took me 49 Minutes to speak to someone and that was after dialling six time as after pressing the correct buttons the IVR put me through to an engaged line

at the minute its all a big joke and I would not want to pay for the laugh at my expense... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Yep Montfort too.

Sky dont have a clue when it will be fixed, I asked to cancel but was told that as I have been active since the 7th I cannot! I have never connected! Plusnet disconnected me on the 12th and since then I have just had the same from tech support that there is an outage and just wait!

The problem was reported on the 7th and still has no clear date from BT.

I now have to write to SKY to cancel! I stated my displeasure at this and demanded to be put through to someone who can do it, I was promised a call back today, and yep you guessed it I didnt!

Does anyone have the contact details for the top guys at SKY to complain to?

Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    gladi found this forum .was about to cancel bt broadband ,thought id take a look at forum

GLAD I DID
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Biffo17 wrote:
    gladi found this forum .was about to cancel bt broadband ,thought id take a look at forum

GLAD I DID

It's not all doom and gloom, at lot of people are getting connected fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phil.ce wrote:
    Does anyone have the contact details for the top guys at SKY to complain to?

Cheers

Check your PM :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phoned sky again tonight and after speaking with 4 seperate people I am in no better situation that I was before.None of their normal staff have the slightest useful information about Broadband and have been told nothing.Its a conspiracy of silence and ignorance!

I am sending a letter of complaint tomorrow to the customer marketing director who sent the letters out originally Mark Anderson but I doubt I will get a reply.I was on the free service anyway but they have still taken the £40 activation fee.I will wait a month maybe and then cancel.Their customer service has been abysmal over this as they obviously never had the correct equipment set up in time in the first place.

BTW do sky have a complaints department or do they just put you on hold for eternity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got this address to write to:-

Customer Care
    Sky Subscriber Services LTD
    4 Mackintosh Road
    Kirkton Campus
    Livigston
    West Lothian
    EH54 7BW

FAX 01506 485783
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phoned sky again tonight and after speaking with 4 seperate people I am in no better situation that I was before.None of their normal staff have the slightest useful information about Broadband and have been told nothing.Its a conspiracy of silence and ignorance!

I am sending a letter of complaint tomorrow to the customer marketing director who sent the letters out originally Mark Anderson but I doubt I will get a reply.I was on the free service anyway but they have still taken the £40 activation fee.I will wait a month maybe and then cancel.Their customer service has been abysmal over this as they obviously never had the correct equipment set up in time in the first place.

BTW do sky have a complaints department or do they just put you on hold for eternity?

Ask for Customer Relations - it has to be approved by a supervisor apprarantly but you can force them to put thyou thought if you keep insisting.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Today I posted off a complaint letter to Sky, Ofcom and BBC watchdog...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phil.ce wrote:
    I got this address to write to:-

Customer Care
    Sky Subscriber Services LTD
    4 Mackintosh Road
    Kirkton Campus
    Livigston
    West Lothian
    EH54 7BW

FAX 01506 485783

Correction on the fax number, they cant even get that right!

01506 484334
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hi guys, first post here...I signed up for sky max and also live in Leicester (montfort exchange) and I have the same problem. My activation date was 25/9 and I am still not getting any connection. Calling sky they said it was a fault at the exchange and that apparently they were in the process of fixing it...don't know if I believe that, but I hope it's true!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    It is possible to email complaints to skydigital@bskyb.com

I sent the following yesterday:-

Dear Sir or Madam,

I wish to register a formal complaint regarding the outstanding installation of my Sky Broadband service.

A letter from Sky dated 28th August 2006 advised me that BT would activate my service by 7/9/2006.

This was followed by the non delivery of my router and several phone calls from Sky. A letter dated 7/9/2006 was also received indicating there was an ‘issue / bug’ and that my router would now be delivered after the promised activation date on the 9/9/2006.

Needless to say this date was also not met. My router eventually turned up on the 12/9/2006. On the same day the service provided by my previous supplier was disconnected by your company.

However, I am still waiting for you to connect your promised service and despite numerous phone calls at my expense and time consuming waits for a reply I have been unable to obtain from Sky Broadband any indication of a date or timescale for the provision of the service you have contracted to supply.

The non availability of the service is proving not only inconvenient but costly, as I am currently unable to manage any of my financial and other affairs that are dependent on internet access.

As of the time of this email further calls to your call centre have not been able establish when you intend to complete my installation.

I am absolutely disgusted by the appalling lack of customer care shown once again by your company and your call centre staff and the non availability of information and the utter contempt your company has for its customers.

I would ask you to urgently review your company’s performance with respect to the matters raised above and to provide me with an explanation and answers to the questions raised.

I wish to be compensated me for the distress, inconvenience and loss of facilities caused.

If I have not received a positive response from you by the 1st October I will take further action to pursue my grievance and obtain compensation.

Yours Sincerely,

Don't forget that there are two parties to any contract. If SKY fail to deliver within the contracted or a reasonable timescale that is sufficient grounds for customers to cancel and obtain compensation.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

I'm also on Montfort, and my story is quite similar to yours.

Signed up for SkyBB on 29th August, after receiving the email and getting a MAC code from my previous ISP (Tesco)

Router arrived the following Friday morning, along with a letter saying that I would be activated on 8th September, which was fine.

8th September came and went, and I still had Tesco service. Not too bothered as I still had internet, I just expected it to switch over in the following few days.

Last Thursday came home and was told that internet was not working, as Tesco had now ceased my service as my 30 day notice period was up. I disconnected my old router and connected up the Sky one, thinking that I had probably been switched (ADSL light was on at this point). No joy, so I phoned Sky on Friday morning.

When I gave my telephone number, the guy said "Ahhh, you wouldn't be on the Montfort exchange by any chance". I said yes and he then explained the problem about the equipment, and that they were waiting for BT to fix this. I was going away for the weekend anyway, so was not too concerned.

Still no internet when we returned on Monday, then on Tuesday morning we lost the landline completely for about an hour (and when it came back on my ADSL light was not lit), which I thought was a good sign that some work was being done, but as of this morning, I am still without internet (am writing this from the Internet cafe at Radio Leicester!)

Phoned Sky again this morning and waited 20 minutes to be connected, and they basically could not tell me anything new, they are still waiting for BT.

I quite believe them when they say they are waiting for BT to do the work, but why is it taking so long!

I have a relative that works for BT Openreach so I shall see if he can shed any light on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I asked them to contact BT by phone to see when they think it'll be fixed and was rewarded with the comment "it's not part of our job to do that - we've passed the issue on to BT it could take weeks"

Cheers Sky. I'm just glad I kept my other service running on my other line so I've still got some service at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    well, at least we are all getting the same story! Hope they sort it out soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guys,
    I assume we are all on the same exchange?
    I have contacted the local paper to try to get them to run a story on this, maybe it will spur BT into action?
    It might be an Idea for you to do the same?

Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil who did you speak with at the Mercury?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    well maybe it was too good to be true, my port went down again last night...and i phoned techincal support straight away, was told the same bulls**t by the college leaver. I was told by another TS agent later on that on my account they put 'ask more questions' mark, and that all my previous calls where not even logged with my complaints. What this summounts to is that Sky will always force you to phone them back time and time again to resolve your situation, wasting your money on their lines! Another thing he enlightened me with was that he said that its no point putting me through to tier 3 as everyone has gone home! (even though its ment to be a 24 hour service)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I too signed up for SKY Broadband MAX and my existing provider Virgin gave me an Authorisation code (MAC) for the tranfser. SKY used this on the 20th Sept but no Broadband. I called the Customer Service Dept and eventually was told there is a fault on Basingstoke Exchange with no fix date in sight. I asked someone to call back before 17:00 that night and guess what no one did. The next day I rang SKY and cancelled. Over the last week and endless on-holds and arguments I have been told that I can go back to Virgin and a MAC code was issued on 21st Sept by post as they cannot e-mail it (unbelievable)! Still waiting for it and I ring SKY every day and hear lots of stories and have even been offered free SKY TV for a month!
    I am unable to get my line back to go Virgin and have now written to SKY, OFCOM and BBC Watchdog.

No end in sight to this and I don't believe a word SKY tell me. I have even rung BT wholesale to find out the process of SKY giving back my line and have told SKY what they have to do!

They seem clueless and the cost of phonecalls so far is astronomical! I also have kept a log of what has happened so OFCOM and BBC can address the issue.

SKY should have stuck to TV and I wish I had known better!
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi again,

Update to my previous post, I have spoken to Sky again today and they tell me that the problem was reported to BT and Easynet (apparently it's Easynet maintaining the equipment) and it should be fixed within 7 to 10 working days from the date it was reported.

I've left my router switched on and connected, so we live in hope that the ADSL light will come on at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But the fault in Leicester was reported on the 7th of Sept.

I emailed easynet who told me that they arent aware of a fault, I got the same from BT.

I really think it is a case of no ports being free and we are waiting for an upgrade.

Different answer every time!

Cheers

Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had to wait 9 days to go active but it is working OK now(connected on the 21st Sep).I sometimes have to try connecting several times for up to an hour before I get through but it is fast and quite reliable.

I did send a complaint letter to the customer marketing director Mark Anderson.I dont know if it was read or put straight in the bin but I was connected 2 days later so its worth a try rather than speaking to the so called technical staff on the phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Hi All
    Sky keep telling everyone that they have a "tied pair shift" fault or some such thing and easynet need to fix this. I'm now without bb since 23rd Aug (yes AUGUST) cancelled 2 weeks ago. Have tried to order bb with BT but Sky still have their order on my line. All it would take is one call to BT from Sky to cancel and they can't even do this.
    Spoke to a BT engineer at my Exchange in Newbury and he told me that Easynet were in there this week installing more equipment as they had run out of available slots weeks ago. All this crap about faults from Sky is rubbish, basically they have taken our orders and are unable to provide broadband and are even happy to stop me going to another co. by leaving their order on my line.

Thinking of getting legal advice soon but yet again this will cost more money!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    harveyw wrote:
    Hi All
    Sky keep telling everyone that they have a "tied pair shift" fault or some such thing and easynet need to fix this. I'm now without bb since 23rd Aug (yes AUGUST) cancelled 2 weeks ago. Have tried to order bb with BT but Sky still have their order on my line. All it would take is one call to BT from Sky to cancel and they can't even do this.
    Spoke to a BT engineer at my Exchange in Newbury and he told me that Easynet were in there this week installing more equipment as they had run out of available slots weeks ago. All this crap about faults from Sky is rubbish, basically they have taken our orders and are unable to provide broadband and are even happy to stop me going to another co. by leaving their order on my line.

QUOTE]

Just as I suspected, there is no fault, they have just sold the service when they dont have the capacity at the exchange.

Customer services have finally replied to my emails and from the pointless and so obviously cut and pasted (even the fonts are a diffent size!) reply that obviously came from their "offshore" callcentre. They confirm my request to cancel and advise that the disconnection will take 14 days to remove the markers, but as I have requested a MAC they will sned me one also!

What a total and utter bunch of cowboys, I migrated from PlusNet and thought these were incompetent, but this lot take the top prize!

Now I need to get the line reprovided and try to get SKY to refund that and the hours I have spent trying to get this sorted.

Can I be bothered to call them again????

Cheers

Phil