Options

sky3 scrambled (merged)

Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
Forum Member
✭✭
Went to watch "Pop Years" at 5:00pm on Sky Three earlier today, only for a box to appear and tell me be I don't have the correct viewing card to revieve this channel!

Is anyone else having this message appear when trying to view Sky Three, inparticular today?

I've been watching various programmes on Sky Three since I've had the 2 mixes, which was nearly a year ago, even watched a programme on the channel on Sunday, so I have no idea why this box appears with said message!

Should I get on the phone to Sky, or wait a day or so to see if it sorts itself out? I'm always on the phone for ages whenever I have a problem with Sky, so I'd rather that be the last option.

EDIT: Have been through the other channels, and they are working fine and can recieve them without any problem.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    What 2 mixes are you on? If it includes the "variety" mix then you should be getting Sky 3.
  • Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the Variety and Lifestyle mix (the one with Disc. Home and Leisure, Disc. Home and Health, etc), and I have been recieving SKy Three fine up until earlier on this evening, so I'm baffled as to why I haven't got the correct card to view the channel! :confused: I watched a programme on Sky Three on Sunday afternoon, and nothing has been changed/altered (I never fiddle with the box seeing as it's a fairly new one!) so I really don't know what the explanation is for this!
  • Options
    PaperhousePaperhouse Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What 2 mixes are you on? If it includes the "variety" mix then you should be getting Sky 3.

Shouldn't matter since Sky Three is FTV.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun_Beam wrote:
    Went to watch "Pop Years" at 5:00pm on Sky Three earlier today, only for a box to appear and tell me be I don't have the correct viewing card to revieve this channel!

Is anyone else having this message appear when trying to view Sky Three, inparticular today?

I've been watching various programmes on Sky Three since I've had the 2 mixes, which was nearly a year ago, even watched a programme on the channel on Sunday, so I have no idea why this box appears with said message!

Should I get on the phone to Sky, or wait a day or so to see if it sorts itself out? I'm always on the phone for ages whenever I have a problem with Sky, so I'd rather that be the last option.

EDIT: Have been through the other channels, and they are working fine and can recieve them without any problem.

Thanks in advance! :)

Got the same message.Wanted to watch Cold Case :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I have 2x freesat sky boxes used with 2 ex sub cards (unpaired).
    It now appears that the cards must be paired to the boxes to recieve sky3, how long before ch4 and 5 go down this road ?
    Is anyone from sky able to comment? :confused:
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I have nothing to do with Sky. (Read that both ways :D )

Are you sure this isn't 'I've lost one of the three ftv channels' syndrome that has been mentioned previously?
  • Options
    markelliottmarkelliott Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some peoples Sky viewing cards have a known bug where Sky Three cannot be received. It comes up with a message telling you to upgrade the subscription.

The Panasonic box in our living room has never been able to receive Sky Three despite subscribing to the full six mix pack!! A while ago I tried the Freesat card from my box in the box in our living room, and hey presto, Sky Three was on!! It's up to my dad to call Sky to get the problem sorted out, but he can't really be bothered, after all Sky Three is basically previous programming from Sky One and Sky Travel which we already receive. I get Sky Three in my room, so I'm not bothered about it either.
  • Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with logjam - I think you may have a temporary glitch.

As Channel 4 is likely to be FTA within 2 years, it would be a pointless exercise to tighten access.

Also see this: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=464970
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I lost Sky3 on my panasonic box this morning, the card is not paired with the box as it's an iffy one I picked up off ebay (overseas viewer here)

I'm starting to think its not a glitch, but a deliberate attempt to stop the sale of ex subscription cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I lost Sky3 on my panasonic box this morning, the card is not paired with the box as it's an iffy one I picked up off ebay (overseas viewer here)

Up until today (Or maybe a few days ago I don't know I never watch Sky 3 on the box I have upstairs in the office, its really just for the kids to watch CBeebies on while I work) I had Sky3 on this box..

I'm starting to think its not a glitch, but a deliberate attempt to stop the sale of ex subscription cards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    I also lost sky 3 this week due to the card not being paired. It had been working fine for ages.

Of course, how many people are actually going to notice ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's fine all the time its just SKY3, if they somehow do the same to Channels 4 and 5 it'll be annoying as hell.

Still, the kids only use this box for CBeebies as I said earlier so I'm not that bothered right now..
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DibbleR wrote:

Up until today (Or maybe a few days ago I don't know I never watch Sky 3 on the box I have upstaors in the office, its really just for the kids to watch CBeebies on while I work) I had Sky3 on this box..

The sale of ex subscription cards is illegal - they are stolen property - under the terms and conditions they remain the property of Sky permanently (Similar applies to Freesat cards) . If this was a deliberate attempt they would merely deactivate the card completely and stop channel 4 and Five as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a fair point Dave, but why would this message suddenly start showing up on boxes that have been picking up Sky3 without any problems up until a few days ago ?

Maybe it's easier for them to block thier own channel out rather than set about deactivating the (I suspect) hundreds of cards out there that are not paired to boxes ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be frank, the loss of Sky 3 is not going to upset too many folk, whatever the reason!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree rai, but its an odd development and if the same situation could arise with this solution being applied to Channel 4 and 5 I think a lot of overseas viewers and homeland viewers with unpaired cards would be a little put out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see it happening (although I agree that it is an odd development).

OTOH, Sky are perfectly entitled to take steps to ensure compliance with their Terms and Conditions. If that upsets folk who have not got FTV Cards legitimately, so be it.

The only real problem will be Five, assuming that Channel 4 go FTA in 2008.

All very interesting, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    whatever the reasons, it is not exactly a major headache, certainly for the UK based people - all it is going to take is 20 quid to get a new card.

Of course, the overseas people without a UK friend are going to have a problem.

Now, is it worth 20 quid to be able to watch sky 3?? Hmm, perhaps they should be paying me 20 quid to watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this is happening elsewhere BUT, apart from my dodgy Panasonic box which has lost Sky3 now, I also have a proper paired box and card in the living room. Sky 3 is working fine down there BUT I have it hooked up to a remote eye so I can pick up the feed from that box in the bedroom.

I just checked downstairs to see if Sky 3 was working and it was, so I tried the bedroom TV and Sky3 is blipping on and off, one minute normal TV via the remote eye link, next minute light blue screen and sound only, then TV back for a minute and then bluescreen again and even when the picture is there it's flickering and very unstable.

This doesn't seem to affect any of the other channels via the remote link, just Sky3...

Does anyone else have a remote link (or so called magic eye) who could check and see if its just me or if the problem is more widespread ?

Or should I start a new question thread ?
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost sky 3 also here, legit card and box, all was fine yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good to know that it is happening on legit boxes too, perhaps it is just a glitch after all..

It still doesn't explain my TV links odd behaviour though.. All other channels are fine on it.
  • Options
    3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funny enough all mine are panisonc boxes too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.

We already have known quirks where some Box variants can get Fox News and Sky Movies 10 apparently as the result of dodgy software.

Could those who have noticed this Sky 3 phenomenon just see if they have been "Upgraded" to EPG Ver 3.5.3?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this could be implicated as several people reported they have got this in the last day or so - seems a bit of a coincidence ...................

Of course, I could be barking up entirely the wrong tree

............. or I could just be barking!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EPG 3.5.3 on the dodgy Panasonic and 3.3.4b on the legit Pace system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well - nice idea!

Thanks. :)

Edit: Actually, your Pace is getting it ok, isn't it? (TV Link problem aside)

I'll wait for a few more report backs before ruling the EPG Version innocent or guilty ;)