Options

Dangerous Dogs - baby killed

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Two rottweilers have been put down after attacking and killing an 18 month old girl in the livig quarters of a pub in Leicester.

Is it really necessary in this day and age to keep such obviously dangerous animals. Is another change i the law necessary ? Or should householders be allowed to keep them as guard dogs ?

I can see both sides of the argument.

My condolences and deepest sympathy to the family concerned.

Full story here

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I'll wait until the reason the dogs were allowed to come into contact with the child are revealed before I post comment.

As with all 'dog bites child' stories, there's bound to be a lot more to this than meets the eye.
  • Options
    CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These stories make my blood run cold. I'm not a dog lover and turn to jelly if I have to walk past one so can barely imagine the horror of such a situation.I only hope that the baby suffered as little as possible.
    Lame words in such circumstances I know. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    It's a horrible thing to have happened but people shouldn't imagine that all dogs of this type of breed are dangerous. Dogs are made into vicious animals by cruel owners and people that aren't responsible with their dog shouldn't be allowed to own one in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desperately sad. Even if owners of such dogs know they're sweethearts 99 percent of the time, it's unpredictable situations they can't guard against. I met a woman at the school who invited me and some other mums to a book party. We had no idea she kept rottweilers as pets. Unbeknown to us she had them locked in the kitchen. So we were all chatting merrily when someone opened the door and they came rushing in. I was sitting on a beanbag and so low down and they jumped on top of me before I could get up. The shock of not even knowing she had them - well I'm sure they could smell my fear. She was able to get them off, but I was pretty shaken. What chance does a baby have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of thoughts.
    If the dogs were guard dogs, trained to attack intruders, and not used/didn't like children, then was this known? (It was by the neighbours, apparently)
    And why take a child to a place where there are vicious dogs in the first place?
    One has to question the parents wisdom in placing a baby in close proximity to these animals.

The more I re-read this story the more it stinks, imo of course.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There is no such thing as dangerous dogs. Its the owners that are at fault for not looking after them properly. I think it was disgusting that such beautiful dogs were put down. Its just cruel.

What a terribly sad story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of thoughts.
    If the dogs were guard dogs, trained to attack intruders, and not used/didn't like children, then was this known? (It was by the neighbours, apparently)
    And why take a child to a place where there are vicious dogs in the first place?
    One has to question the parents wisdom in placing a baby in close proximity to these animals.

The dogs were 'family pets' :eek: who were also used as guard dogs so the baby was at home when the incident happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dreamt about this last night - terrible story :cry:

Apparently the parents were looking after the pub while the owners were on holiday. I can't see the point of keeping dogs that have been bred for their aggression, they should be banned outright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    The dogs were 'family pets' :eek: who were also used as guard dogs so the baby was at home when the incident happened.
    "It is thought her parents had been looking after the pub and the animals while the landlord was on holiday. The baby was the grand-daughter of the landlords."

It doesn't state that the child lived there, it does imply that they moved in to look after the place. And it doesn't state the dogs were 'family pets', either in print or on the video.

EDIT @ 0845. Another take on the story from Sky News .
  • Options
    ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    A couple of thoughts.

It would seem the the baby was the grand-daughter of the landlord who was away, so presumably the parents would have known the nature and useage of the dogs.

When my daughter was a baby we had two dogs here, border collie crosses, so not vicious dogs as a breed, although not particularly good with young children either, but there is no way on earth I would have left her alone in a room with the dogs, you just never know what can make them snap.

It is a very sad story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad. I'm a huge dog lover and I happen to rather like rottweilers.

I believe the only dog that is truely a vicious breed is the pit bull.

Rottweilers, although they have a name for themselves, are generally beautiful creatures. I wonder how they were brought up? Violent surroundings and keeping them as guard dogs would indeed make them vicious, but all dogs are normally placid if brought up by their owners properly.

I feel sorry for the owners of the dogs as they must be sad at losing them, not to mention overcome with guilt over what happened. However, what they feel must only be a fraction of what the baby's parents must be feeling. Terribly sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It is thought her parents had been looking after the pub and the animals while the landlord was on holiday. The baby was the grand-daughter of the landlords."

It doesn't state that the child lived there, it does imply that they moved in to look after the place. And it doesn't state the dogs were 'family pets', either in print or on the video.

Fair enough. I've only seen the news reports on the story and they have not provided the details that you've read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    Fair enough. I've only seen the news reports on the story and they have not provided the details that you've read.
    See EDIT on my post #10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    CHUTNEY wrote:

You cant have dogs as guards AND family pets. Its one or the other IMHO. So sad to hear about this :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taboo wrote:
    You cant have dogs as guards AND family pets. Its one or the other IMHO. So sad to hear about this :cry:
    I completely agree.
    I have a pet Rottweiler. Even though he is very gentle and well trained, I still wouldn't leave him with a child because of the 'what ifs?' involved.
    A dog that is trained to guard has a different set of priorities to a family pet. Mixing up a working dog and a family pet in the same animal does seem a little unwise to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats just horrible. I dont like dogs like that.
  • Options
    ianinclevelandianincleveland Posts: 21,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First off my sympathy goes out to the family of the baby girl.

I blame whoever left these rotties with a 5 month old baby in the first place.as much as im a huge dog lover id NEVER leave a young child alone with ANY dog.

What i can imagine is this poor little girl started crying and this alerted the dogs who then set on her.

In general most rotties are quite gentle(ive known numerous) but a small % of owners encourage them to be vicious.rotties are natural protectors and should NEVER be encouraged to be aggressive.

Also these were pub guard dogs and even as a dog lover id never approach a publicans dog.they tend to be over alert as it is and over protective in many cases.Surely they shouldnt have left a baby with guard dogs.

Having said that id still pat a Rottie after first asking the owner if it was safe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be frustrating for good owners to hear these stories. What tends to happen is people who adore their dogs (or cats) and I'm guilty of this too as a cat lover, are surprised when others say they don't like them. Even if they are the softest most loveable pet in the world, some people are scared of dogs, and others cats and owners aren't always aware of this and need to respect it's nothing personal. Last night my husband said he saw a man walking a fairly big dog in the school playing field while some youngsters were playing football. The owner let it off the lead and of course it wanted to play and raced straight up to the children to try and grab the football. The boys looked quite startled and were clearly worried and were trying to pull the ball away, but the owner just stood back smiling, as if to say bless, when the kids were out of their depth and didn't know what to do.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a terrible story.

I don't know how and why these dogs were in a place where they could get hold of the baby and drag her out like this. We don't know the full circumstances, but the baby should have been safely out of the way in another room. The dogs should have been on a lead if there was nobody around to keep an eye on things.

In general I think dog owners can be sometimes ignorant of those who don't like dogs. They may well know their pet and its temperament, but other people will not and therefore the dogs should remain on a lead in public.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no such thing as dangerous dogs. Its the owners that are at fault for not looking after them properly. I think it was disgusting that such beautiful dogs were put down. Its just cruel.

What a terribly sad story.

Having been bitten a few times, I would disagree with that. I was bitten by two large dogs, both of which had a previous good record.

I did nothing more than walk up the garden path towards the front door.

I'm an animal lover, with a distrust of dogs, and I would never leave a baby near any dog.
  • Options
    jackulatorjackulator Posts: 7,209
    Forum Member
    glad to hear they got put down big stupid dogs and heres more proof
    poor kid
    i wonder what goes through the minds of people who want to own such dogs ban them like pit bulls useless things used to intimidate and scare only
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackulator wrote:
    glad to hear they got put down big stupid dogs and heres more proof
    poor kid
    i wonder what goes through the minds of people who want to own such dogs ban them like pit bulls useless things used to intimidate and scare only
    Sorry i dont agree,the parents and the dogs owners were obviously at fault,i am a big fan of Rotties having been brought up with them,however no dog large or other wise should be left un-supervised with children its just to risky,children and dogs can both be un-predictable.
  • Options
    mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a terribly tragic story & as a mother I feel for the parents of the baby as they will be devastated.
    However, I have to also say that as an owner of three dogs of different breeds I would never leave my dogs alone with a child even if the child knew the dogs well. My dogs are real softies but I still would not take any risks.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The story reports that the neighbours described the dogs as being 'vicious' and always looking as if they may attack passers-by.

If that is the case, then why the hell were they anywhere near where this baby was left? You cannot take any chances, no matter how trusting you are of an animal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an incredibly sad story, for all concerned.
    I read the BBC report and felt sickened, I felt this even more after reading the Sky report which was a bit more descriptive.
    I believe the majority of dog's are by nature placid, but some people train their dog's to be vicious.
    I wouldn't leave a cat alone with a baby, let alone a dog.

As Lindylupin as said it must be very frustrating for the good owners who are responsible, and the sort of reaction they're likely to get from some people in light of this tragic event.
    I remember the reactions to dog attacks (Pit Bulls) in the late 80's, if a dog was off it's lead in the park, most parents took their children out, I was one, I didn't want my daughter to be around any dog that wasn't on a lead.

Rest in Peace baby.