Message from the Sky Broadband Team

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
Forum Member
Dear all

This is a message from the team at Sky Broadband to all Digital Spy members.

As you’d expect, we’ve been paying close attention to the comments made on this and other sites. We’re grateful to everyone who’s joined in with Sky Broadband so far and to all customers who’ve joined in the discussion here.

Because Sky Broadband is just starting out, feedback from our earliest customers is really valuable to us. Please believe us when we say that we do read your comments and we take them on board to spot and try to fix any problems that arise.

For example, we’ve been following reports from customers about problems accessing particular websites. As a result, we’ve tested access to over 40,000 sites and have worked with other network operators to make any necessary changes to their bogon filters. We believe this has resolved the issue but we’re keeping an eye on the forums for any new reports.

We’re also working hard in terms of customer service. For example, after a review of our systems earlier this month, we fixed an issue that had delayed the delivery of routers to some of our first customers. Everyone should now receive their routers in plenty of time for their activation date.

Here is an update on some of the other key areas that we’re working on:

Registration

Anyone who registered for Sky Broadband before 20 September should now have received an invitation to place their order. If you’re not covered by our network at the moment, this would be an invitation to order Sky Broadband Connect. For people who’ve registered more recently or are thinking about doing so, it takes us around a week to send you the invitation email at present.

While we understand that some people might have preferred to be able to sign up for Sky Broadband straight away, we think the registration process has been the fairest way to respond to initial demand. With such high levels of interest expected, we felt that taking orders from everyone at the same time would increase the risk of disappointment for some.

Activation

After your order is placed, it currently takes around 10 to 15 working days on average for your line to be activated. We’re aware that for some customers the wait has been longer and we’re working to clear the backlog as quickly as possible. Reducing the average migration time is one of our biggest priorities and we’re working with BT Openreach to ensure that performance improves in this area. BT has agreed to dedicate more staff to the issue and both companies are committed to making this better.

Network coverage

We’re installing equipment in more BT exchanges so that more people can get Sky Broadband Base, Mid and Max. Already, more than one in three homes across the country are covered by the network and we’re planning to reach more than half of all homes by the end of the year. If you’ve got Sky Broadband Connect now, we’ll get in contact with you when your local exchange goes live so you can save money by choosing Base, Mid or Max.

Sky email

We’re aware that some customers have reported intermittent problems when logging into Sky email accounts. We’ve made a number of adjustments and believe this is now rectified. Please call Sky if you experience any difficulty.

Getting through to us on the phone

We expected a big response to the launch of Sky Broadband and we took on more than 500 extra staff in advance of our announcement. Nevertheless, this has been a very busy time for our call centres and we’re very sorry if it takes longer to get through to us than you’d like. Much of the work that we’re doing to improve the activation process will help to reduce pressure on our call centres and soon we’ll be introducing an online ordering system for Sky Broadband. In addition to offering an alternative way to sign up, this will help to free up more staff to deal with your queries.

Dropped connections

In some threads, customers have reported that they’ve intermittently experienced dropped connections. After investigating this, we’ve made some changes to the network configuration which should resolve this issue in most cases. We’re working on a further fix to address any ongoing occurrences.

Apologies for the very long post, but we wanted to outline some of the things that we’ve done in response to your comments and other things that we’re working on. We’ll keep listening to your feedback and we’ll give further updates.

Thousands of people are now up and running with Sky Broadband and, just as we watch out for any problems reported here, we love reading the threads where people discuss the great speeds they’re getting or the money they’re now saving. It gives us a buzz to know that and it makes us even more determined to ensure every customer has a great experience.

Thanks again to all Sky Broadband users and especially to those customers who’ve given their time and expertise to encourage others.

Best wishes

The Sky Broadband Team

Comments

• cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Team wrote:

Sky email

We’re aware that some customers have reported intermittent problems when logging into Sky email accounts. We’ve made a number of adjustments and believe this is now rectified. Please call Sky if you experience any difficulty.

Best wishes

The Sky Broadband Team

I have been connected since 20th September & i have never ever seen one of my emails either by the portal that has never worked for me or via OE which does not recognise my details...............

Great speeds but rubbish portal & email :mad:
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post. If this is a true representative from Sky, I'm sure that 100's of people on here will be thankful for the post.

I took up the offer and Customer Services have been swamped with calls and are slow at responding but have been very helpful. I have worked in a call centre for Vodafone, and am now an Account Manager, so know exactly what is happening in terms of a learning curve for the call centre agents and Sky as a service provider.

I did get a problem where my current ISP closed my account on Monday and at the moment have no internet (so using it at work) and waiting for my new router. This failed to be ordered for whatever reason, so not a good start really and feel that if I hadn't called to chase nothing would have happened. I have been ensured that it has now been ordered and will be with me soon, however no definative dates provided, so it's a little inconvenient as I use my home connection for work also. I do hope that I will not be charged for the service since my old ISP disconnected my service on Monday.

Fingers crossed that this gets sorted asap. And thanks to the agents at Sky as they have been helpful throughout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    It's good that your looking at dropped connections.

Is there any way to get a update for the router software?, reading some of the posts the original netgear router that is not sky branded works well but skys restricted software on the router seems to be problematic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    If it is SKYTV, then you can sort out transfering from your service and the issuing of a mac code, getting customers to write in, is pathetic in this day and age to cancel a poor service, even emailing gets no response, emailed 4 times no response, getting annoyed
  • Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCNOVICE wrote:
    the original netgear router that is not sky branded works well
    Not necessarily. Some individuals have reported the same instability problems with the NETGEAR firmware that are experienced with the Sky firmware. Check the various threads in this forum and over at SkyUser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I phoned up last monday to order skyBB and was told that they would send me a letter with a code on. Once I get the letter I am to phone up with the code. They said it would be with me in two to three days. Still haven't received it.

If it's not here tomorrow I might just go with BT
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I'm generally pleased with the service when I'm on-line, however, I'm constantly having to reboot the router to get on-line, sometimes it takes more than one reboot (3) to get on-line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Its great that you have taken the time to post on here and explain a few of the issues you are suffering, which is to be expected as you have just started a new service, and as we all know you have been inundated with enquires and new connections, But it would be nice if you could sort out your tech support.

I have error code 300 which has prevented me connecting I reported this on the 24th Sept have had no call back and each time I waste my time calling in to tech support I am advised your too busy to take my call by tier one support, Fortunately I am to busy to pay your bill this month!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Dear Sky Broadband Team,

I and many fellow forum members who have officially been connected to sky broadband via the Montford exchange in Leicester have been unable to connect for a preposterously long time due to a 'fault' at the exchange. Could you please try and take care of this issue or at least tell us what is going on and when the problem will be rectified? Paying for a non-existing service is not what we were expecting from sky broadband. Sincerely,
    Philipp Vermehren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I must agree with Phil Vermehren that the least you can do for the Montfort Exchange waiters is let them know just what is going on and what is likley to happen as far when or if ever we will be able to use the Sky BB service.
    I have been with the Sky TV service from the start and would never have belived that the expirence of the last couple of months could be the same company.

I. P. D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Yes - please let us Montfort users know what's gonig on, it's getting silly now. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I'm still trying to connect to the Aylesbury exchange.Keep getting error code 300.Have now cancelled but waiting for my line to cease.Whenever that will be.
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellwear wrote:
    Yes - please let us Montfort users know what's gonig on, it's getting silly now. :(

It certainly is. I've now been without any type of broadband for 2 weeks (not as long as some who have been waiting for Sky).

I too am on Montfort, and am not happy about the service I have received (or should that be not received).

Just tell us what's going on rather than fobbing us off!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post. If this is a true representative from Sky, I'm sure that 100's of people on here will be thankful for the post.

Just in case you are worried this is someone from Sky making this posting just as they do in the Sky HD forum.

As you say it is good to hear direct from Sky that they do read these forums and although don't respond to individual issues do try to fix things that are brought up here.

So thanks and please, Sky Team, post regular updates and information :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

The posting from the Sky Broadband Team does nothing to re-assure me that all is or indeed will be well.

I am absolutely disgusted by the appalling lack of customer care shown by Sky and their Call Centre staff and the total lack of information and of the utter contempt they havefor customers. In particular Sky Call Centres appear to cynically exploit customers in order to generate income and frustrate customers in their pursuit of legitimate grievances.

The response from call centre staff has been apalling hours have been spent waiting to get through only to be put on hold and abandoned by your agents.

When Sky will you respond to individual complaints made to you by email and letter?
  • banbury_oddballbanbury_oddball Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, after a few calls, I now have my Broadband box. I decided to do a re-image of the hard drive to the factory settings and start fresh after 2 years. The pc is much speedier now.

I connected the box up fine and installed the software. I'm not going to go wireless just yet and connection was almost instant. I must admit though that my previous ISP (orange) had 1mbps and now Sky reports this at 3mbps but think it is much slower than this. With all the Microsoft XP updates I had to install last night, it took nearly 3.5 hours from start to finish with downloads going quite slow. I thought it may be the Microsoft website but it wasn't as I downloaded a movie trailer and was less than 100kpbs per second, so overall not the best start - it could be the exchange in my area. I'm on Connect until it has been upgraded again, but overall in comparison to Orange it's much slower.

Here's hoping that the bugs will get sorted out for everyone else reading this thread and other posts within the forum.

And yeah Sky Broadband staff, we are all aware that you can't answer individual comments on the board, but a weekly update would be great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily. Some individuals have reported the same instability problems with the NETGEAR firmware that are experienced with the Sky firmware. Check the various threads in this forum and over at SkyUser.

True. I've used both the Sky and Netgear firmware. I noticed no difference. The issue was over a low noise margin in the evenings causing drop outs and slow speeds. This happened irrespective of what firmware the router had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Good going dark_shadows, finally a reasonable comment. :)

While every effort from Sky to improve things deserves a welcome, one simple letter/posting does nothing actually. And I can't believe the ease with which some people are ready to let them "off the hook". Then you ask why they treat customers like this??? Excuse me, but sorry doesn't always cut it, just get the job done...

jason.gill has mentioned in his post (and I have seen it in plenty other posts too on this forum but refrained from comment so far) "you have just started a new service"...??? Why are you people even giving them excuses?

Few points (good points in my humble opinion):

1. I hope by new service people actually mean that Sky didn't offer BB so far. Lets get it straight, they are not re-inventing ADSL, it is already on the market for a number of years. On top of that, they bought Easynet so they didn't even roll-out new infrastructure from scratch, they are using an existing one. So why exactly is "new service" an excuse???

2. According to many people here, their technical team seems far from technical at all. But of course, why would customers expect technical people to be employed there. That could have easily worked fine if proper people were employed, PAID accordingly.

3. The queues would also be avoided if enough people were employed, both basic call centre and tech people. But again, that COSTS MONEY.

So, to sum it up... If Tesco (just for example) opens up a super store in your area that is not new business of course, but it is a new store (similar to Sky ADSL project). If in that huge super store Tesco decides to utilise only two tills and employs only two people to save wages, with that creating huge crowds at the tills... are you going to say "good going Tesco, we know it's a new shop and hopefully in time things will improve"...? Would that be Tesco's fault or maybe the customers going there to shop will be at fault... at the end of the day, why did they all go there right? :)

I also hope Sky will improve for all it's customers...but wouldn't bet on it even with some one else's money... because a lot of this problems wouldn't be problems with just a little bit planning before starting Sky BB...if they didn't show the will then, what makes you think they will now???

Cheers...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Sky Statement

“After your order is placed, it currently takes around 10 to 15 working days on average for your line to be activated.”

How come then I am still waiting to be activated 4 weeks after my activation date? And you don’t have the decency to tell me why I’m still waiting.

Sky Statement

“This has been a very busy time for our call centres and we’re very sorry if it takes longer to get through to us than you’d like.”

It takes no time at all to get through to your automated holding system. It takes forever for a ‘human’ response only to be put on hold and abandoned. Oh yes, and we are paying for this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    sparry wrote:
    It certainly is. I've now been without any type of broadband for 2 weeks (not as long as some who have been waiting for Sky).

I too am on Montfort, and am not happy about the service I have received (or should that be not received).

Just tell us what's going on rather than fobbing us off!

Montfort exchange here too and no broadband for over a month. What on earth is going on.???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm currently on the hunt for a new ISP after a disastrous few weeks with TalkTalk where I was able to boot them into touch today without resistance. (I may be at fault but I assumed that migrating from an ISP where I was getting 7Mbps on an adslMAX service to TalkTalk would give me comparable performance. Without telling me, I was put on 2Meg IPStream and wouldn't benefit from LLU until Aug 07!!)

I thought of SkyBB (would need to be Connect) but thought I would check out the Forum first. I'm glad I did!! Dealing with TT was bad enough as my service with them started by good luck rather than good management. Signing up with SkyBB would be like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!!

To be honest, I'm not surprised at the comments. I've been with Sky for many years (cant get cable!) and I actually dread having to contact them. In terms of innovation they are excellent (Sky+ was the greatest invention since the wheel) but they are severely let down by Customer Services. The call handling is a shambles and more often than not the technology they deploy to support them also fails.

Its such a shame. They could be a world class company!! But not in my lifetime if they don't address Customer Support effectively.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    biglonny, depending what are you after, check out www.newnet.co.uk.

I was strictly after one month contract and good, reliable ISP and after checking out their forum I was happy (www.adslguide.org). On top of that, few of their managers read their forum on ADSL Guide and private message anyone posting major problems to get his/her details and check the problem.

Their tech support is REALLY technical, they know what they are talking about. Only current downside is the official support hours are 6am-10pm but they are mainly manned 9-5. After 5pm it is extremely difficult to get trough. But unless your connection is completely down (which happens really rarely with them) and depending how urgent your problem is, you can always leave online ticket and they attend to it ASAP in the morning. Once you have notified them of a problem they really work to solve it.

As I said, depending what are you after....but their forum seems full of happy people not having anything to moan about (generally)...few moans about reaching support after 5pm but not many people seem to need to reach them anyway...

And one of the managers already promised on the forum that they are currently training more support staff because they don't put just anyone on the phone... which makes sense and seems all right...

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    More than one day and nothing in response from "Sky".

Meanwhile we are sitting here waiting for something to happen, maybe!

On Montfort in Leicester and without connection for 3 1/2 weeks and the 14 days after my "cancellation" request will be up on Wednesday and still no Cease in the BT system. (why 14 days I dont know!)

Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    DarkoD wrote:
    biglonny, depending what are you after, check out www.newnet.co.uk.

Thanks for the reply DarkoD. I'll certainly check them out!

Lon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    cockney wrote:
    I have been connected since 20th September & i have never ever seen one of my emails either by the portal that has never worked for me or via OE which does not recognise my details...............

Great speeds but rubbish portal & email :mad:

I have had the same problem sinsince activation on Sep 6th. Unable to gain access to Sky BB portal to be able to access emails.