Options

Election 83 - BBC Parliament

SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a quick reminder that tomorrow (Friday) from 9 a.m. the election night programme from 1983 is on BBC Parliament. David Dimbleby is in the hot seat for the second time and Peter Snow makes his general election debut at the results board following the death of Robert McKenzie a couple of years earlier. Also featured, John Cole, the BBC's Political Editor at the time, analyst Tony King and Robin Day doing the interviews.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favourite elections ever (as a Conservative and Thatcherite). I want to see 1992 at some point thought...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1983 was probably the best elections of the 20th century. It was when good old Michael Knowles beat Martyn Sloman (Labour) by 1,464 votes, to win Nottingham East (my constituency) for the Conservatives. :D

(Sorry, but I just love my political nostalgia!) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this election repeats, thanks for reminding me! I'd like to see 1992 aswell, watching Kinnocks face at the end of the night was great - and im not a Tory!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you pay close attention, at some point there will presumably be a brief mention of the new MP for Sedgefield!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    I had no idea that they did this.

I would love to see the 1997, I was out of the country and they messed up my absentee voting. I come back and a new party is in office...weird! ;)
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,076
    Forum Member
    I found one of the old early 1960's ones they showed fascinating - very little tv survives from that times and it was very interesting to see what a BBC live broadcast looked like back then.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote:
    Just a quick reminder that tomorrow (Friday) from 9 a.m. the election night programme from 1983 is on BBC Parliament. David Dimbleby is in the hot seat for the second time and Peter Snow makes his general election debut at the results board following the death of Robert McKenzie a couple of years earlier. Also featured, John Cole, the BBC's Political Editor at the time, analyst Tony King and Robin Day doing the interviews.

A Mrs Thatchers great triumph and a reminder to those on the left (who like to forget) that she was incredibly popular once.

All popular PMs fall foul of the electorate eventually, Churchill did, Wilson did, Thatcher did and now so has Blair.

In fact IIRC Labour under Blair have never scored as many votes as her at any General Election or Major for that matter. :p

Roll on 1992, billed as Labour's last chance (they blew it), everyone was left wondering if Labour could ever win again...
  • Options
    tallordertallorder Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimboola wrote:
    I had no idea that they did this.

I would love to see the 1997, I was out of the country and they messed up my absentee voting. I come back and a new party is in office...weird! ;)

1997 was fantastic - watching all the Tory big nobs fall. Portillo was a particular favourite!

It's interesting that Thatcher was not felled in an election. Instead she passed the torch on to another who lost (well, won one and then lost). I wonder if the same will be true of the Blair handover to Brown (or whoever)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tallorder wrote:
    1997 was fantastic - watching all the Tory big nobs fall. Portillo was a particular favourite!

It's interesting that Thatcher was not felled in an election. Instead she passed the torch on to another who lost (well, won one and then lost). I wonder if the same will be true of the Blair handover to Brown (or whoever)?

Almost inevitably. No party is going to stay in power forever, and it would be unhealthy if it did.

I find it fascinating to look at the parallels between the leaders during both both parties' long period in opposition. First, Michael Foot for Labour and William Hague for the Tories. Very different in age but both highly respected parliamentarians who simply weren't seen as serious PM material by the electorate. Then we had Neil Kinnock and Iain Duncan Smith, both of whom were completely ineffective against Thatcher and Blair and once again weren't seen as potential PMs. Of-course IDS never got the chance to test this but I think it's pretty obvious what the result would have been. Thern we moved on to two more senior figures from the respective parties - John Smith and Michael Howard, who both had greater gravitas and were probably seen as a steadying hand after the internal turmoil of what had gone before. Smith might have won an electon but tragically never got the chance, so then we had Tony Blair for Labour and David Cameron for the Tories, and many people have observed the similarities here. I suspect the outcome is going to be much the same, but can Gordon Brown (or whoever) do a John Major, and win one last election for Labour first?
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimboola wrote:
    I would love to see the 1997

It's been done already.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's started.

Peter Snow seems so laid back compared to his later performances, almost as if he's on tranquilisers! He must be one of those people who has become more energetic rather than less so with increasing age!
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tallorder wrote:
    It's interesting that Thatcher was not felled in an election.

One reason- she was a woman. Even my mum admits she voted Tory for the only time in her life solely for that reason.
  • Options
    noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I must set my Sky+ to record this! Does it have series link? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only 22 so this is ancient history to me......... ;) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my Sky recording this. Even though it's taking up 20% of it, it should be worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how many of the reporters we're seeing are still household names today - Jeremy Paxman, Brian Hanrahan, Nicholas Witchell, John Stapleton, Kate Adie, Esther Rantzen...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Selina Scott before she got 'old' and lost her looks....... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHUTNEY wrote:
    And Selina Scott before she got 'old' and lost her looks....... ;)

..not to mention Valerie Singleton who has never quite managed to lose the Blue Peter association even though she did quite a lot of current affairs in the 1970s and 1980s, reporting on on Nationwide and presenting The Money Programme on BBC2 and Radio 4's PM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and Esther Rantzen will always be known as 'that woman from 'That's Life'' :rolleyes: :p
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. It's weird that it was broadcast from Television Centre's largest studio and yet it looks quite cramped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was Labour's big election disaster, even though they werent the party on power at the time it was still a heavy loss, like the Tories did in 97!

It shows that all parties have their disasters at a general election. Watch the reports here Labour are being written off in fact I heard someone ask if it was the end of the party, it took a while but they came back!

I cant wait for the next election (sad I know) it's going to be one of those watch them fall elections I think :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was Labour's big election disaster, even though they werent the party on power at the time it was still a heavy loss, like the Tories did in 97!

It shows that all parties have their disasters at a general election. Watch the reports here Labour are being written off in fact I heard someone ask if it was the end of the party, it took a while but they came back!

I cant wait for the next election (sad I know) it's going to be one of those watch them fall elections I think :)

Foot just doesn't look like a PM!! 1983 is proof that no matter how big the defeat the big 2 always come back in the end. Labour came back from 1983, the Tories are now on the way back from 1997 just as they came back from the defeat of 1945.

What is really amazing though is all that blue in Eastern Scotland so easy to forget this whole area, Edinburgh, Lothian,Tayside, Angus Aberdeenshire, Moray was once rock solid Tory country. :eek: :D

Next election, hung parliamnet and we'll all be back at the polls within a year. Even if not a single seat changes hands on the night Labour will still end up with a single figure majority as the Boundry Commision will hand 20-30 seats to the Conservatives to make up for Labour's current over representation.

2005 may well be the last "big majority" election for some time to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I hear a comment early on that Foot was leaving his cottage to go and watch the results at another house as he didn't have a TV there? He was leader of the opposition - incredible!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes 2010/11 will be a single figure majority for Labour (just) I think, cant wait im already excited :)

Yes Foot didnt have a TV, how did he get the job??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed at how prophetic some of this is. John Cole for example talking about the divided opposition vote and the comparison between 1983 and the 1920s and 1930s.

"I'm not saying were going to have 20 years of Conservative Govenrment..." no John it was 18, close enough though. :cool: