Options

The Last Train - ITV in the 1990's - Anyone Remember?

bob2002bob2002 Posts: 610
Forum Member
✭✭
After "The Second Coming" reminded me once again of one of my most favourite series of all time - The Last Train, I thought I'd ask if anyone remembers this.

It was show on ITV, at I *think* 8:00 on fridays (again, from what I remember) and ran for 6 episodes.

A meteorite is due to hit Africa, and devastate the world. Some scientists know this is going to happen, and one is on her way by train to another to ride out the disaster, by freezing themselves. But her train is delayed (this is in Britain, after all) and the rock hits while the train is in a tunnel. The canister of freezing gas goes off, the whole carriage full of passengers are frozen for an unknown time. When they wake up, they don't know what has happened. Only the scientist knows what happened and the others don't believe what little she tells them, anyway. But all around them is a devastated Sheffield -- obviously many years overgrown, but they all seem to think it has been a day or two. Then some of the extras get killed by a wild dog pack and everyone starts getting serious, and decides to pull together and trek off to find other survivors. As a 'shock' episode ending, a grave, dated 2012 is shown.

There is a review of the show here....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:eHb4ltgeQgMC:www.circus.edendev.co.uk/otherarticles/lasttrain.htm+%22the+last+train%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It lists the air-dates as....

Episode 1 7 April 1999
Episode 2 8 April 1999
Episode 3 15 April 1999
Episode 4 22 April 1999
Episode 5 29 April 1999
Episode 6 6 May 1999

but Im sure it was longer ago than 1999, and I dont think it got repeated.

I emailed Granada about it once, but just got the usual "There are no plans to repeat this program or release it on DVD"

I wondered if anyone else remember this, and enjoy it as much as I did.

and is it really too much to ask for a repeat showing on ITV2, even Granada Plus?

or, realms of fantasy, ITV1 since The Second Coming is kinda is the same area ?

Edit: Fixed Link

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I remember that, great stuff. It is one of my favourite shows. I remembered it not too long ago, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called. It's a shame they haven't repeated it as it was a good show. Reminded me a bit of the film 28 days later, which is based on a similiar idea. A DVD release or even a rerun would be great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for the very quick reply!

I havent seen 28 days later, but I have heard about it, and it does sound similar. Ill have to get it on DVD when its out.

Anyway, back to the last train. Id would like to think and hope,t hat if there was a fair amount of interest, Granada might consider a re-run. Depending on how many replies this thread gets, and the nature of the replies(!) I might email granada again pointing out this thread.

I would love a DVD release, but even a re-run on Plus would give me an opportunity to record it to tape once and for all. Ive thought about it on and off since it was first shown, but couldnt think of a way to generate interest in a repeat showing. Finally, after in a small way, The Second Coming reminded me, and I thought - I know - DS poster's know their stuff - maybe they can help!

Still cant believe it was NEVER repeated on any of the granada-connected channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah 28 days later is a great film and I enjoyed it. Great for a little known British film. As for the Last Train, I'm not sure I think I read somewhere on here that it was repeated on ITV2 at some point on sunday lunchtimes? A DVD release would be great and if Carlton can release a fair ammount of their better shows on DVD with extras, then Granada should do the same. Theres quite a few people on here who I seem to recall mentioning the show and I'm sure a rerun on Plus or ITV2 or even the Sci-Fi channel would get a fair few viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be worth emailing Sci-Fi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it won't do any harm. They have the rights off Carlton for the Prisoner, which is one of the greatest television programmes ever made and if Granada aren't going to do anything with the show, then they might let Sci-Fi have them for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I remember. I don't remember it from first time round, but it was repeated on ITV2 on Sunday evenigns in mid-2001. I enjoyed it, but sadly missed the last episode so never saw the climax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, now im pissed! Gutted that I didnt know it was repeated! DAMN IT!!1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    that last episode was possibly the weakest. A bit of an anticlimax. Overall though a good series.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by bob2002
    As a 'shock' episode ending, a grave, dated 2012 is shown.

However, IIRC, that grave-stone was eventually found to be so many years old (50?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the last episode was very hard to work out, and there were a lot of questions left, but it was still awesome
  • Options
    HandyBendyWendyHandyBendyWendy Posts: 3,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember that about 30 odd years had past in The Train. It was a great series and thought provoking too. I remember the deserted buildings that had been used to house the survivors with images of dusty teddies in long abandoned cots and that women who were able to conceive were sought after to rebuild the population. I think programmes like this and The Second Coming are very powerful with the threat of war and armageddon be it man made or natural (or supernatural even!) always on the edge of the horizon.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Anyone know if there are anyplans to release Threads on DVD?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah i loved that programme :)

And yep it was repeated on ITV2 in 2001....would love to see a dvd release or reruns :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glad to see its not just me that enjoyed it! and that more people want to see it on ITV.

Did you notice ITV made a point of advertising the DVD release of The Second Coming. Cant see why The Last Train doesnt deserve a DVD too. But an advertised(!) re-run would be good :)
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone should email ITV2, if they see a few people want a repeat they might show it :)
  • Options
    GWRGWR Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if there are anyplans to release Threads on DVD?

It's been out for almost a year... :rolleyes: ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I never saw The Last Train but it sounds really good. Dont suppose we could convince a channel to show it again??

No - thought not, worth a try though.

Craig
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is great. Seriously, im really pleased.

Theres very little info on the program, and I guess it was easy for Granada to fob me off, because maybe they thought it wasnt popular?

But this thread is rapidly proving there is interest :)
  • Options
    Neil WilkesNeil Wilkes Posts: 2,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, fantastic programme.. still got it on tape somewhere. It can do no harm to email ITV2 en masse and ask for another (repeat) showing. :)

Neil
    Digital Spy Ltd
  • Options
    John WebbJohn Webb Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good programme, The Last Train.

Itwas one of those programmes where people actually spoke about the next day. Almost cult status. I suppose with a lot of multicahnnel TV that doesnt happen much anymore as people are all watching something different.

Anyway - I would love to see the series again just to see that desrted pub they found with the teapot still full - dunno if I could chance the beer though!

Granada did show it on ITV2 a coupole of years back - but mised it as it wasnt heavily advertised and I think it was at a point where ITV2 was relatively new.

I think if enough of us pester, then we may get at least a repeat, or a series. Just think how long it took for Ghostwatch to appear to buy!

John.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    email sent to Granada and Sci Fi.

Do ITV2 have their own contact?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Keep an eye out on various sci-fi news groups as it gets posted up every so often.

I watched it first time round but missed the first episode. Then I watched the repeat on ITV2, but again missed the first episode. But just two weeks ago managed to get a rip off the net and have at last seen how the whole thing begins.

It was an excellent drama although the odd wild lepord in huge factories seemed a bit over the top. It would be nice to see a DVD release.

L
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by bob2002
    Do ITV2 have their own contact?
    There used to be dutyoffice@itv2.co.uk - whether that address still exists tho, I don't know.

Though, Granada would be a more appropiate contact, and I see you've sent an email to them anyway. :)

*damo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    id be very interested in finding a copy on the net, even though im only on 56k

maybe you could PM me a link?
  • Options
    N-I-C-KN-I-C-K Posts: 3,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching it because i even watched them film parts of it... The part when they were on that dirt track waste land and near the pond.

Only about 3 minutes worth of footage but they were there for a good 2 days.

And it was wired seeing that super-inposed backdrop that you can see in the background.

Great show