Options

What music do you like??

Seeing as someone (I cn't remember who it was)said I was "unusual" because I'm 17 and I like Daniel O'Donnell I was just wondering what Kind of music you all like to see if anyone else is "unusual"

To start the ball rolling I tell you all who else I like.

Westlife, Ronan Keating, The Wolfe Tones, The Dubliners, Coldplay, Brian Kennedy, Elvis, U2, and Irish Folk music i.e. Irish pub songs.

What music do you like?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Regga/Dub, hip-hop, chart stuff, dance type stuff, garage, some trance, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Gary Numan, Dolly Parton (such a great voice and somewhat similar to Sinead), Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Moody Blues, The Lighthouse Family, David Grey, Missy Elliott, some classical, some traditional Irish. . . . . . . .

Actually, too numerous and varied to really be able to list it all properly.

I find I can like one or two singles by an artist but not particularly want to buy their album. This makes it difficult for me to list my likes fully too.

I bet people will list stuff and I will wish I had thought to mention that too - if you see what I mean.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure this is on the right thread, cos there is one for music, so be prepared for it to be moved..

It would be easier for me to say what music I don't like really. I like most things, from classical, Sinatra, things from old musicals, to Robbie Williams, Phil Collins (sorry JP!) Enigma, Clannad etc. I dislike with a passion rap, not keen on folk or country and western. Will that do for starters? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heres my list of my favourite musical artists :

U2 , Celine Dion , Kate Bush , All About Eve , The Mission UK , David Sylvian , Japan , Utada Hikaru ,The Human League , The Cranberries , Darius Danesh , Thin Lizzy , The Offspring , Led Zeppelin , Sugababes , Avril Levigne , Muddy Waters , Etta James , BB King , Albert King , Buddy Guy , Otis Rush , Robert Johnson , Howling Wolf , Robert Cray , Gary Moore , Eric Clapton , Telephone , Jimi Hendrix , Elvis Costello , Jethro Tull , Horslips , Carlos Santana , Natalie Imbruglia , Jennifer Lopez , Queen , Tom Waits , Bob Calvert , The Doors , The Rolling Stones , Guns n' Roses , Motley Crue , The Alarm , Suzanne Vega , Soft Cell , Francis Cabrel , Melanie C , Jamie Benson , Hepburn , Bauhaus , The Offspring , Skyclad , AC/DC , Sophie Ellis-Bextor , Madonna , Tori Amos , David Bowie , Rage Against The Machine , Television , Blondie , the Pogues , Marillion , The Eurythmics , Maddy Prior , My Bloody Valentine , Skeletal Family , Beverley Knight , Beverley Craven , Al Green , Blue Oyster Cult , St Etienne , Alice Martineau , Nick Drake , Sandy Denny , Van Morrison , Bert Jansch , Pentangle , The Cult , Fields of the Nephilim , The Clash , Runrig , The Sisters of Mercy , Christina Aguilera , PJ Harvey , Nellie Furtado , the Waterboys , Bon Jovi , the Levellers , the Police , Del Amitri and Marli Buck !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Dont think I can beat Simon,s list but hear some that are my big favourites, some are from the 70s 80s but I still like to l
    listen to them sometimes. Some are new.

Alice Cooper, Adam & the Ants, Areosmith
    Blue, Beatles
    Cindy Lauper, The Clash,
    David Bowie, Annie Lennox
    Simple minds, Stiff little fingers.
    Cat Stevens,Elton John.
    Slade Roxy Music.
    Guns & Roses, Ronan Keating.
    Simple MInds, Big Brovaz
    Coldplay, Sterophonics
    Sinead,Malachi and Marli ,Ainslie(FAME ACADEMY)
    Christina Agulaira Liberty X

To name a few........... I like various types of music as long as its good. Malachi's Album has some good tracks but come its got a few stinkers as well. I dont think your unusal Katie but seems to me you need to broaden your listening and give yourself more selection.
    :):)
  • Options
    metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    god. loads.

Usual stuff, Beatles, classic metal, seventies 'progressive' rock..(floyd etc). Punk rock, especially sex pistols, buzzcocks and 'the damned'. Some MOR stuff, such as the Carpenters and Abba.
    a lot of classical stuff, especially Nigel Kennedy and Charlotte Church.
    More recent stuff, Oasis, lots of brit pop stuff. Not much in modern 'pop' music at all really, I did like the ketchup song for my sins, I know it gets a lot of stick, but I thought it was a great pop song. also liked the Tatu song, and occasionaly find myself humming along to Atomic Kitten.
    Kylie, of course, shes got the art of the pop song down to a tee.
    Avril Lavigne, loved her album.
    now and then I like something more electronic. 'Addicted to bass' or 'groove is in the heart', I also quite like 'trance'...except when its just a cover version.
    To keep to the forum. I loved 'Keep me a secret', and 'I cant break down'. I hope Sinead and Ainslie develop , because imo, they have great potential.
  • Options
    fruitiefruitie Posts: 6,566
    Forum Member
    Like most on here a wide and varied taste in music....

Wet Wet Wet, Eurythmics, The Corrs, Van Morrison, Bon Jovi, FAME ACADEMY, TTF, Oasis, anything Motown, The Pogues, Deacon Blue, U2, Shania Twain, Cher, Elton John, Boyzone/Ronan Keating, Westlife, Spice Girls.....I could go on and on and on.....

That's a fair impressive list Simon :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    I like pretty much anything to be honest but favs include Kylie, Blue, Westlife, obviously Sinead and Malachi, Madonna, Carole King, Tracy Chapman, Kosheen, Dolly Parton, Carly Simon, The Corrs, Britney, The Saw Doctors, The Pogues, The Dubliners, Rod Stewart, Steps, Take That, (am trying to mentally go through my cd collection here!) Tiffany, All Saints, the list goes on....
  • Options
    misterpartridgemisterpartridge Posts: 3,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to resist the temptation of listing all my favourite artists: I don't think DS allows posts that long. :) But here are some artists I like who I think others might as well, depending on who your favourite student is:

If you like David, I would recommend trying out:
    Del Amitri, The Big Dish, Deacon Blue (especially the Raintown album), The 4 of Us, and George Michael (I really like Older, unlike most people).

If you like Sinead:
    Slightly trickier. Perhaps Bonnie Raitt, Carole King, Dionne Farris (check out "Hopeless"), Sinead O'Connor's early stuff ("Troy", for example).

Lemar:
    Obviously, Marvin Gaye, Al Green and Stevie Wonder. Maxwell, D'Angelo (particularly the "Brown Sugar" album). Curtis Mayfield. Prince (check out his version of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me", which Pam sung on one of the shows).

Ainslie:
    Early James ("Stutter"), Placebo, The Buzzcocks, Magazine, XTC, David Bowie, Radiohead, The Smiths.

Malachi:
    Brian Kennedy (particularly the first album, The Great War of Words), James Taylor, Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, Jeff Buckley, Simon and Garfunkel.

Marli:
    Tori Amos, Kate Bush.

The others didn't really have enough of an identity (or I didn't like them enough :) ).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Very wide, some great albums in my collection and some awful ones too (I don't remember buying The Tamperer feat. Maya but there you go).

Very into Catatonia, wearily excited about Cerys Matthews' debut solo album "Cockahoop" (out May 19th, all good record shops ;) ) due to her shift towards folk from pop rock.

Last albums I bought were Turin Brakes ("Ether Song") and The Cardigans ("Long Gone Before Midnight"). I'd thoroughly recommend the latter, it has been slated in some of the music press as being "joyless", I don't think it's anything of the sort.

Otherwise, lots of Britpop (though I cannot stand Oasis, mainly due to the Gallaghers and not their music), Coldplay, Norah Jones, Texas, Natalie Imbruglia, Macy Gray (great new single out, poor lyrics but very funky), Cranberries, Stereophonics, Supernaturals, and the fantastic Alanis Morrissette.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by misterpartridge

If you like David, I would recommend trying out:
    Del Amitri, The Big Dish, Deacon Blue (especially the Raintown album), The 4 of Us, and George Michael (I really like Older, unlike most people).

I'm one of the happy few that really like Older...and yes, not a lot of people agree with me.

The music that I like depends a lot on my mood, of course...
    Rammstein, Metallica, Bon Jovi, U2, Eurythmics, Vivaldi, Puccini, Beethoven, Elton John, George Michael, Billy Joel, Therapy!, Oasis, I like the 'rush of blood to the head' album of Coldplay, INXS, The Beatles, Jacques Brel (he was a Belgian, not French like Q-magazine claimed some time ago :mad: ), Guns 'n' Roses, Robbie Williams, Eric Clapton, The Police, Patrick Bruel,...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Castafiore
    Jacques Brel (he was a Belgian, not French like Q-magazine claimed some time ago :mad: )

Typical! Did they at least have the decency to mention that he was David Sneddon's father?

http://kultur.orf.at//001003-4259/3-brel.gif

Altogether now!

"Je peux pas croire que tu tires sur ta manche
    Quand tu pleures..."

Or something. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Je peux pas croire que tu tires sur ta manche
    Quand tu pleures..."

:)

Monsieur Partridge, arrêtez de vivre le mensonge... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abba, Squeeze, ABC, almost all the Jock Rock bands of the 80s like Deacon Blue, The Big Dish, Hue & Cry, Love & Money, Hipsway etc (definitely NOT Altered Images mind ;) ), Barbra Streisand (nothing of note for some time however), Lara Fabian, Brian Kennedy, The Adventures (anyone remember their first album? Awesome!), Sugababes, China Crisis, Go West, George Michael (again nothing of note for a while now), Bruce Springsteen, and songs...I am a terrible purchaser of singles :D
  • Options
    fruitiefruitie Posts: 6,566
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by trendygirl
    (definitely NOT Altered Images mind ;)
    And why not? Happy birthday to ya, happy birthday.....

(It was them wasn't it? That wee gnaff Claire Grogan....)
  • Options
    northgirlnorthgirl Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like alot of you a varied choice - some that will be liked [and some derided - like Darius and Cliff Richard !!]. Classical , Gershwin and various Jazz classics then pop/rock [not in any particular order] - Tracey Chapman , Joan Armatrading, Queen, Dire Straits, The Corrs, Coldplay, Travis, Beautiful South, Phil Collins, Abba, Amy Grant, Toto, Boston, Barbara Streisand, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Kirsty McColl, Frank Sinatra, Beatles, some Elvis, Bryan Adams, Billy Joel, Mary Black and from FA Sinead, Ainslie and Malachi !!

BUT lots of music from artists most of you will not know from the Christian pop and rock scene - Petra, Susan Ashton, Twila Paris, Pam Thum, and World Wide Message Tribe !!!

PS Simon do you still post on the Darius site? and can you really include Marli for her music yet or is it just lust at the moment !!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by northgirl
    Like alot of you a varied choice - some that will be liked [and some derided - like Darius and Cliff Richard !!].

...says the woman who likes Toto, Boston and Barbra Streisand!

Oh, and trendygirl, thanks for posting - I was worried my tastes were a bit 80s, until I read your selection.

:D
  • Options
    arkark Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Rock music, but not too heavy. NOT punk, or heavy metal. My tastes have changed over the years :

As a child in the 60's Clif Richards and also the Monkeys!!!!!!!

During the 70s : Free, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Humble Pie, Santana, Rolling Stones

During the 80s : didnt pick up on much other than Dire Straits

During the 90s : started to pick up on some 80s stuff : Police/Sting

Elton John

Laterly Robbie Williams, David Gray, Coldplay, Ainslie and via Ainslie to James and U2

and with my daughter : Avril lavigne & Sinead Quinn
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm mainly an indie fan myself, going back to the original masters like Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Kirsty McColl, Buzzcocks and the Cure. Loved all the old twotone stuff like the Specials.

The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The The, The Pogues, The Happy Mondays, Supergrass, Catatonia, The Verve, loved Oasis when they were good, Pulp, Blur, The Divine Comedy.

Also love good pop like Lightning Seeds, The Beautiful South, Madness, Madonna (when she was good).

Beatles (mostly John Lennon's songs, find McCartney's songs a bit too sentimental), Van Morrison, James Taylor, love Sinead O'Connor's voice though her music is a bit hit and miss.

Love old soul, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, Stevie. Going further back swing from people like Cab Calloway and Louis Jordan. I also love Paul Robeson (for his voice but also for his life).

Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sinatra, Nina Simone, Nat King Cole.

Can't stand: heavy metal or any heavy rock (or rock n roll as the americans call it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi northgirl , I do still post on Darius Devotees a bit but not as much as I used to because (i) Darius hasn't really done that much for a while and (ii) the site seems to have gone a bit crazy , theres a lot of ' I fancy David Bowie/Spike from Buffy/Chris from Busted/D-side/Westlife etc ' messages now which I find hard to relate to. I got told off for saying David Bowie was not God , okay I do like him but they are a-bit-too-obsessed-to-be-healthy over there with him - they don't seem to remember Bowie has spent the last 20 years releasing cr*p albums and he only ever did about 3 good ones ! Which are IMO ' Aladdin Sane ' , ' Young Americans ' and ' Lets Dance ' if you are interested !

I still think if Darius was prepared to take a risk with some of his material then he could be a truly great artist , hes got the talent but hes playing it too safe. There are some really good songs on his album , but some awful stuff too - hes got to try and avoid being too bland.

As for me , I am definitely feeling a lot of lust towards Marli ;) but I have been lucky enough to hear some of her original material , and it is fantastic : the Kate Bush and Tori Amos influences have already been mentioned but the songs I heard could be compared to PJ Harvey , Propaganda , Curve , Cranes and Portishead as well. She is an exceptionally talented singer and musician and with a bit of polishing-up on her lyrics and creating some more variety in her arrangements she could take on anyone in the charts today in terms of exciting , good-quality music. I really believe that !

People may not agree with me at the moment , and people may not like Marli's music or her style , but I think in 6-18 months when she is mega-famous , people will have to admit that she is a genuine musical talent equal to the best artists in this country or maybe even the world ! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, where to start. Well, just a selection from looking through my mp3 collection:- Ash, Avril, Blur, Coldplay, David Gray, Doves, Feeder, Foo Fighters, Hundred Reasons, Idlewild, James, JJ72, Manic Street Preachers, Muse, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Stereophonics, Stone Roses, The Cardigans, The Coral. The Music, U2, Air, Basement Jaxx, Incubus, Inme, Puddle Of Mudd, Rage Against The Machine, George Michael, Abba, Queen, The Beatles, Jamiroquai, Kylie, Justin Timberlake, Natalie Imbruglia, Liberty X, Robbie Williams, Michelle Branch, Blink 182, Alkaline Trio, Jimmy Eat World, Brand New, New Found Glory, NOFX, Reel Big Fish, Green Day, The Ataris, Destiny's Child, Eminem, Nelly, Wyclef, plus of course the wonderful Sinéad, David and Ainslie, and probably Lemar when he gets some material out in the open. Plus plenty of different types of dance music without preferring any particular artists, and the same story really for older music.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn everyone's tastes are so cool and sophisticated. ;)

I like 80s electro pop - Midge Ure, Thompson Twins, Human League, OMD, Spandau etc
    Cheesy Pop - Bucks Fizz (dear god did I say that out loud?), Kylie, anything naff and poppy.
    Soft Rock - Meatloaf, Bon Jovi, Deacon Blue, T'Pau etc.
    Male middle of the roaders - Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Sting, Paul Simon.
    New country - Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride. Rock Musicals - mostly Lloyd Webber.
    And quirky pop- Beautiful South, Barenaked Ladies.
    Also love The Pretenders, Paul McCarteny,neil Sedaka, 60s hippy stuff, 70s glamrock, Sarah McLachlan and one of my favourite albums was by one-hit-wonders Scarlet.
    (Looking at who I have most albums by it's a tie between Bucks Fizz and The Beautiful South, not quite sure what that says!)
  • Options
    metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Simon Owen

People may not agree with me at the moment , and people may not like Marli's music or her style , but I think in 6-18 months when she is mega-famous , people will have to admit that she is a genuine musical talent equal to the best artists in this country or maybe even the world ! :)

I did start watching FA determined to judge it on talent alone and not personality, Marli was my fav at the start but Im afraid her manner in FA really annoyed me in the end.

I do agree she has talent though, and Ill look forward to hearing her work. I guess that sometimes talented people do have personality quirks.
  • Options
    northgirlnorthgirl Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by misterpartridge
    ...says the woman who likes Toto, Boston and Barbra Streisand!

Oh, and trendygirl, thanks for posting - I was worried my tastes were a bit 80s, until I read your selection.

:D
    I can't work out whether you are saying the later 3 are more to be derided or that you thought I didn't like Darius and Cliff which I do. Please explain because I am confused !!
  • Options
    geilogeilo Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Taste developed over a good many years includes –

Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, Electric Light Orchestra, Gerry Rafferty, Dave Brubeck (going to a concert of his next month – Mother’s Day present! :)), Ella Fitzgerald, Buddy Holly, Sting, Eurythmics, U2, Elton John, Stereophonics, Travis, Lighthouse Family, Pink, Avril Lavigne, Coldplay, Robbie Williams, Abba, David Gray, Carpenters, Dusty Springfield, Dire Straits, Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, Mamas and Papas, Sugababes, Anastacia, Shania Twain, The Smiths, The Pogues, Blondie, The Supremes, Pet Shop Boys, Bob Marley, Jools Holland ………

…. and I’m not averse to listening to some of my son’s collection - Richard Ashcroft, Feeder, Red Hot Chili Peppers - as well as classical music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think with Marli , you have to be kind and forgive her her strange behaviour at the end of her time on the show - she was in a very difficult situation and her life had taken a bit of an unhappy turn but I'm sure shes feeling better now. Its a bad thing for that to happen when you're in a situation which is going to expose all your weaknesses to the public eye , I think all along she was quite sensitive to what was being said about her.

There were people prepared to stab Marli in the back in the Academy with their barbed comments , but I like to think that ' what goes around comes around ' , and Marli will have the last laugh in the end !

:p:p:p:D