Options

RGB Problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
I have a Panosonic Widescreen TV (100hz screen)& a Grundig Digibox - If I set the video setting on the digibox to RGB, the picture becomes sharper but the colours are awful - any ideas why - red & blue seem ok - but green & yellow look virtually the same & white has a blueish tinge. I've checked the scart leads & this is my second digibox - I had the same problem with both boxes (the last box was a pace)

Comments

• Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either see it your TV has an S-VHS mode, or just use PAL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Dave Lloyd
    I have a Panosonic Widescreen TV (100hz screen)& a Grundig Digibox - If I set the video setting on the digibox to RGB, the picture becomes sharper but the colours are awful - any ideas why - red & blue seem ok - but green & yellow look virtually the same & white has a blueish tinge. I've checked the scart leads & this is my second digibox - I had the same problem with both boxes (the last box was a pace)
    I had exactly the same problem with my Panasonic widescreen occasionally, but I know exactly what caused it. If the SCART lead isn't sitting exactly right in the back of the TV then for some reason everything becomes over-blue. I especially had this problem with a cheaper lead which didn't fit quite so snugly - got some new JVC ones and I have no problems now.
  • Options
    DeadKennyDeadKenny Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    RGB usually results in more 'natural' colours, and many TVs don't let you change the colour in RGB modes.

This might be your problem, but then again I wouldn't say they are awful.

Far too many people have the colour settings way too high to compensate for other bad settings (high contrast, brightness, or poor connections - e.g. use of composite or bad reception). When they go to RGB, they feel it's wrong.

Personally I find RGB colours to be far better, but you need to set the TV up properly (if you've got DVD, then getting a set-up disc is very useful. DVDStreet do one called The Ultimate DVD, although it's NTSC but is a region 2 disc and should be fine on most modern TVs). The sharpness and clarity of RGB is a major factor over composite also.

That said, it's probably another problem if the colours are really bad.

Also worth noting is that most TVs only have one SCART socket that supports RGB. The others are usually S-Video and composite. Try swapping the lead to another socket.

Ensuring the leads are firmly connected is another thing to try, and getting fully-wired and fully-shielded cables is another (but don't bother spending more than £20/£30 on them, beyond that price they're a con).

TVs vary as well. Some work better with RGB and some prefer S-Video (though RGB is supposed to be the best, short of component inputs and progessive scan).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    When I connect ny Sky Digibox or ONdigital Box into the RGB scart socket I can either have a FULL stretched picture on my W/S set or can change to panoramic etc but not just 4:3 mode - why's this?

Also, the picture seems to move a little off centre so, for instance, when watching BBC NEWS 24 the logo is even more in the middle of the screen and the cropped picture moves more to the right so that there is just one big black bar on the left - can anything be done about this as I prefer to have RGB for my Digibox as it makes the EPG look smoother.... please help!

PS I have a Sharp Widescreen set.....
  • Options
    DeadKennyDeadKenny Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by NR Lester
    Also, the picture seems to move a little off centre so, for instance, when watching BBC NEWS 24 the logo is even more in the middle of the screen and the cropped picture moves more to the right so that there is just one big black bar on the left - can anything be done about this as I prefer to have RGB for my Digibox as it makes the EPG look smoother.... please help!

Many, if not all, sets shift with RGB (usually left). Something to do with timing in the RGB signal.

Some sets have a dedicated RGB AV mode that corrects it, some require you to fiddle with service menu settings. The 50Hz Sony WEGA has an RGB Mode (it's the same input as AV-1, but it's a corrected mode). However, the auto-detect of a signal on the SCART always jumps to AV-1 not AV-1(RGB), which is a pain. On the Sony, RGB Mode will not display composite (so I have to go back to AV-1 for VHS) and you can't change the colour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hello, plase help me ...

All images on my TV via composite look fine, but, I get problems when connecting my pace STB to the RGB scart and select RGB, the picture quality increases but is dark and has a red tint.

The red tint is directly proportional to the amount of white in the current picture. A telewest test channel which I think should be white (full screen) is pink and the tv guide popup goes very very dark. Pictures with little or no white look great and the tv guide popup looks bright and clear.

This also happens with my PS2 playing DVD films but does not happen when using my AS DVD 551 to play DVD's.

I have tested multiple leads and all were fully wired scart leads (i think).

Can I calibrate ? Any further testing ? Known issues ?

Please help ...

Andy.

SETUP
    =====
    Philips 32pw6506 (50hz) with 2 rear scarts (one s-vid, one rgb), 1 rca set
    Pace cable/telewest digital tv
    Playstation 2

Accoustic solutions DVD 551 (on loan)
  • Options
    NathanNathan Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot of similar questions to these in the technical forum - do a search in there and you might find the answer already there. It worked for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have been searching the entire site for the past few days and read over 50 posts, still no joy.
  • Options
    HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    It's a known issue that the RGB output from some digiboxes is incompatible with some TVs.

It looks like you're one of the unlucky ones - who will have to use the digibox's PAL setting.