Toshiba RDXS30

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link Hammy. Surprising that this is not on Tosh's website. I wonder how long I'd need to wait for this model to become available - and what the XS32 will do that the XS30 won't?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    kennyw wrote:
    Thanks for the link Hammy. Surprising that this is not on Tosh's website. I wonder how long I'd need to wait for this model to become available - and what the XS32 will do that the XS30 won't?

It will write to DVD-RW disks and also has RGB In, plus from the sounds of it there are changes to the menu system and other options - personally I think it is the dvd recorder I have been waiting for :)
  • HammyHammy Posts: 4,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so sure about the RGB, but here's a link to the US version and it's specifications, not sure if the one here will be exactly the same.

http://www.onecall.com/PID_23366.htm

Hammy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Is there a service menu on the RDXS30 that you can adjust the RF modulator channel from ? On most videos this can be changed with either a small screw at the back or via a special menu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    The RDXS30 does not have a RF modulator. The UHF sockets are just a pass through for the aerial signal.
    Forum Member
    The RDXS30 does not have a RF modulator. The UHF sockets are just a pass through for the aerial signal.
    So does that mean if you connected rge RDXS30 to a TV using only the aerial cable it wouldn't play back anything as you would have to tune the TV into a channel number to receive anything.

So if it did not have a modulator there would be nothing to tune your telly to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    CanonMan wrote:
    So does that mean if you connected rge RDXS30 to a TV using only the aerial cable it wouldn't play back anything as you would have to tune the TV into a channel number to receive anything.

So if it did not have a modulator there would be nothing to tune your telly to.

Yes. Like a lot of freeview boxes you cannot tune your TV into the Tosh. You have to use the scart or S-Video lead.

More and more equipment is like this so why do TV manufactures still only put 2 Scarts on most TVs.
    Forum Member
    kennyw wrote:

I have just had the following reply from Toshiba:
    "The RDXS30 is to be discontinued. This model will be superseded by the RDXS32, 80GB HDD, available at the end of May 04 and RDXS33, 160GB HDD available at the end of October 04.

If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,
    Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or feel free to reply by E-mail.
  • John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kennyw wrote:
    "The RDXS30 is to be discontinued. This model will be superseded by the RDXS32, 80GB HDD, available at the end of May 04 and RDXS33, 160GB HDD available at the end of October 04.

If you have any further queries or would like to go through your query with an advisor you can contact us on 0115 9766958,
    Monday - Friday 8.00-20.00, Saturday 8.00-18.00 and Sunday 10.00-16.00, or feel free to reply by E-mail.

I wonder if any of these will have RGB input?
    It's always the same.........you buy a product and a couple of months later a better version replaces it............I've only had my RDXS30 since January and I'm very pleased with it but now find the 60gb HD a bit limiting..........has anyone tried fitting a bigger one?
    John.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I wonder if any of these will have RGB input?
    It's always the same.........you buy a product and a couple of months later a better version replaces it............I've only had my RDXS30 since January and I'm very pleased with it but now find the 60gb HD a bit limiting..........has anyone tried fitting a bigger one?
    John.

I believe the new model does have RGB input - the US model doesn't of course as isn't used over there, but I don't think Toshiba are making the mistake of leaving it out for the UK model again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Here's a link to the specs for anyone that's interested.

http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/toshdvd.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    kennyw wrote:

Does this mean that there will be a bios upgrade available?
    It would be great to upgrade the HDD and some of the menus.
    Forum Member
    I think that the new model will be more like the D-R1. I shouldn't think there will be a bios update. Maybe you can just swop the hard drive for another larger one, don't know if it is as simple as this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    for info. my local mega safeway were recently selling off rdxs30 for £399.98 which having owned one for last 11 months, is awesome value!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Help! I'm having trouble with my Toshiba RDXS30. Each time I make a thumbnail, its qualioty deteriorates. My latest thumbnails are covered in green snow.
    I've also had problems with the controls jamming. I tried a delete and the menu froze. I could only escape by switching off at the mains.

Mike
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    had the same problem on my much used model. Gradualy detoriated, funny noises from the hard drive etc. Tried housekeeping, full format etc. Thumbnails from ram disc recordings were ok, are yours?. This pointed to the hard drive on the way out. Contacted toshiba and was given the number for there service company. Machine picked up by courier next day, new hard drive drive fitted and returned within 8 working days. all covered under qte. Very pleased with service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tip. Now if I can only find my documentation.

Mike
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Well just got the RDXS32 and it beats the excellent RDXS30!

Just to confirm the UK model does has RGB in and out and a DV input...and progressive scan etc and satellite IR blaster.

It burns a DVD-R in about 20 minutes and has the option for you to use a still as the background image - but have not tried this yet.

Loads of other tweaks - too many to mention. Watch out cos it's even more complicated then the RDXS30 and the manual is even fatter!

One minus point is that it seems you can't record to the HDD while creating a DVD (just like the RDXS30).

I feel sorry for all those people who shelled out £700 for the Panasonic E100 4 months ago when this seems a whole generation ahead and for only £430
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Shame this was not announched before i brought mine!

But never mind

I cant moan about the RDXS30 its a amazing bit of kit.
    Been in OZ and NZ for 5 weeks
    I recorded 68 programmes, every one was recorded ok.
    Most were on the 1.4 setting and were still fine.
    I had all my Arsenal games from Sky, and she had all the soap operas
    5 weeks of Coro St, and Eastenders

Very Very impressive!

And i still had h/d space, so for me that was enough.
    The one thing that i do like about the new one is that you can record DVD-RW, which is a major plus over the S30, but otherwise for me it does not make much difference, i suppose it would allow me to get rid of my 2nd DVD player as its multi-religion.
  • John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soop wrote:
    Well just got the RDXS32 and it beats the excellent RDXS30!

Just to confirm the UK model does has RGB in and out and a DV input...and progressive scan etc and satellite IR blaster.

It burns a DVD-R in about 20 minutes and has the option for you to use a still as the background image - but have not tried this yet.

Loads of other tweaks - too many to mention. Watch out cos it's even more complicated then the RDXS30 and the manual is even fatter!

One minus point is that it seems you can't record to the HDD while creating a DVD (just like the RDXS30).

I feel sorry for all those people who shelled out £700 for the Panasonic E100 4 months ago when this seems a whole generation ahead and for only £430

So it DEFINITELY DOES HAVE RGB INPUT?, does it say so in the manual? because the link given earlier in this thread by chippo states

Output Terminals:

1x DV Input

1x Optical Digital Output, 1x Coaxial Digital Output

1x Analogue Pair Audio Output/Input

1x Component Video Output (Progressive/Interlace)

2x SCART Output (2x RGB), 1x S-Video Input/1x Output

1x Composite Video Input/ 1x Output

1x RF In/1x Output

Nothing here about RGB In?

John.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It DOES have RGB input.

It also seems a bit quieter than the RDXS30 although the DVD drive is a bit louder due to the increased speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Not been on the forum for awhile. Has there been any developement for a region crack for the RDXS30?
    Forum Member
    gdf wrote:
    Sept.

The recorded picture quality was very impressive from DV and from Sky+.

Joining the discussion late but wondered if anyone could help me with an installation issue? Bought a Toshiba XS32SB and being new to this technology cannot get it to recognise Sky+ through AV2 connection? Connected the channel changer and input the code Toshiba gave me for Sky+ (0326) but no joy... Any pearls of wisdom for a frustrated novice?
    Forum Member
    Soop - just posted before reading your message. I cannot seem to get Sky+ to work on the XS32SB. Any help you can give would be most appreciated!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I'd like to hear if anyone has a multi-region hack for the RDXS32 too, please. And since I'm using analogue broadcast only, does 'RF tuner pass-through only' (as per the spec) mean it can tune analogue channels?

Thanks.