how fast shoudl i get it?

dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi, i'm moving out of my student flat this week into a house soon and we're thinking of getting ntl broadband

what speed would you recommend for a connection that's going to be shared by 3 PCs - and, if you can help, how would I go about setting this up?

thanks
Lee

Comments

• LeeB TVLeeB TV Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    if u are sharing 3 pc then i would suggest 1mg broadband - fastest ntl offers, this is £34.99 a month and you get 15 email addresses, FREE instal and FREE conection and FREE cable modem...to get it visit www.broadband4you.com or call ntl:home product services on 08001831010....hope this helps!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it depends what you are likely to be using the internet for. if its just casual web surfing and checking emails then 150k speed would be fine. if you think all 3 pcs are likely to be surfing the net at the same time you mght want to look into 600k or if you think you would be downloading a lot using p2p applications etc or playing games online. if this is high on your agenda consider 1mb service, obviously the 1mb works out cheapest for what speed you get. as for setting up 3pcs to share one internet connection then you will have to set up a network, either wired or wireless. wired networks are cheap nowadays and offer high speed of data transfer however can be more expensive/difficult depending on where your pc's are situated in the house (how much drilling is required. alternatively you can get wireless which are more expensive (especially 54g or 802.11g products) and slower than a wired network (less so with 802.11g or 54g). it requires a wireless network card for each pc and a wireless gateway/router.
  • dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well at the moment it's only the two pcs that'll be connected - the one in the downstairs front room and the one in the upstairs back room - probably do it wired if it's cheaper.
    as for bb, i reckon 600k is probably the one we'll go for - neitehr me or my housemates are into gaming and i only use p2p software occasionally and i guess my housemate's the same.
    that sound sensible?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes. you'll get about 75kb/s download rate off (most) websites
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Lee Stanley
    hi, i'm moving out of my student flat this week into a house soon and we're thinking of getting ntl broadband

what speed would you recommend for a connection that's going to be shared by 3 PCs - and, if you can help, how would I go about setting this up?

thanks
    Lee
    knowing you Lee, I would suggest the 600k or 1Mb service, and knowing you are a poor student, 600k seems the logical option, as for using it, watch out the you dont constantly use over 1Gb of bandwidth per day ;):p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't fprget you can easily ask ntl to change what speed you have after you have it installed, so see if 600k suits your needs and if not change it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    iv just upgraded to 1mb from 600k, could someone tell me what upload and download speed i should be getting.

Thank you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    140kb/s down, 45kb/s up or around that. of course this is likely to vary especially on p2p applications.

im thinking of doing the same afterall twice the speed for a tener, my dad pays the £25 at the moment so i just add in a tener every month! whats the increase in speed feel like? must be pretty good, of course nothing compares to the change form dial up to broadband.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    on p2p im not seeing that much of a difference, max down so far 90kb, max up 25kb. best result is from direct down from web 120kb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    In reality you'll get around 128 Kilo Bytes Download and 32 Kilo Bytes Up... MAXIMUM, anything above that is a bonus.

On P2P you're lucky to get a connection at all (at least to the files you're after) so just be happy if you get over 20 Kilo Bytes eh! I know I am.. blehhhh

:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah 600k will do you I think.

Gamesaddict>>> You should be getting around 120kb/s.If you download from microsoft.com you'll probably get even faster.
    Plus on P2P you could have a 10mbit and it wouldn't make a difference 90% of the time.The 10% being everyone else of p2p with a really good connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice guys :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, 600k

using a router should do it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we were talking about it today when who should knock at the door, but a nice friendly man from ntl, to flog us the service at a discounted rate. was pretty handy cos now we know what the hell we'll be doing abotu getting a network and that

cheers again