Options

Warning! Clocks going back

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
Forum Member
✭✭
This is a warning to all the new Sky+ users (and a reminder to the old timers) that every time the clocks have changed, Sky+ has got itself in a mess.

The last time it happened (March), the problem with programmes set through the EPG seemed to be fixed, but there was a problem with Manual Recording.

What happens with the clocks changing is that a day or two before, everything in the planner after the time change is modified by one hour. Then it all sorts itself out when the time changes. However, Manual Recordings were mysteriously modified by 2 hours, and only reset 1 hour so they were still an hour out.

This affects ALL manual recordings (after the time change), not just those near to the time change.

Now, V1 boxes have had a software update since March, so it's possible that this may have been fixed (as yet unknown). However, V2 boxes have received no software updates, so the problem is almost certainly going to occur this Sunday.

Consider yourselves warned! :eek:

Comments

• Options
    JonLambertJonLambert Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment I cannot get the synopsis on any programs after saturday night, could this be something to do with the clock change also???
  • Options
    sjpsjp Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    the post 1am sunday morning shceduled recordings are a bit sqiffy already (and have been on my box for a few days, possibly since last sunday which would make sense).

will be amusing to see what happens... glad i'm not away this weekend.

stuart
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by JonLambert
    At the moment I cannot get the synopsis on any programs after saturday night, could this be something to do with the clock change also???

Try this, find the program you have set to record in the EPG itself, and view the synopsis. Then return to the Planner and view the synopsis on the same program, which you couldn't view before. It should now work :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by nickw
    Now, V1 boxes have had a software update since March, so it's possible that this may have been fixed (as yet unknown). However, V2 boxes have received no software updates, so the problem is almost certainly going to occur this Sunday.

Consider yourselves warned! :eek:

Well, I've got a V1 box with the last software update and the problem is not fixed for me.

I have a "weekly" manual recording set for 11.30pm on a Monday.
    But the entry created for Monday of next week says 9.30pm.

And for some reason it's lost it's "Keep" symbol too.

I re-entered the recording for 11.30pm on Monday and it entered the planner as 10.30pm on Monday, so I think it's right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Branko
    Well, I've got a V1 box with the last software update and the problem is not fixed for me.

I have a "weekly" manual recording set for 11.30pm on a Monday.
    But the entry created for Monday of next week says 9.30pm.

And for some reason it's lost it's "Keep" symbol too.

I re-entered the recording for 11.30pm on Monday and it entered the planner as 10.30pm on Monday, so I think it's right now.

Ah, yes, that's the problem. Can't say I'm totally surprised that it's not fixed. I wonder if they've put a fix in the dual-record update, which they would have assumed we'd have by now! Then again, it only happens twice a year so Sky probably don't think it's important.

Anyway, looks as though as long as you delete any existing man/recs and do them again it should be ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Well, this is the sort of basic fix that should be given priority over frills like dual recording. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Is that correct?

Maybe I am missing something here but if you enter a manual recording today to record something on Monday at 11:30pm, should it not enter as 11:30pm.

I guess the system just assumes a majority position that everybody has forgot the clocks will change.
  • Options
    ste_leonardste_leonard Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looking through the EPG for Saturday night/Sunday morning it goes like this:-

1.00am
    1.30am.................1.00am...........1.30am

so does this help with correcting the recordings?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by EnglishJon
    Maybe I am missing something here but if you enter a manual recording today to record something on Monday at 11:30pm, should it not enter as 11:30pm.

I agree. The way it currently works is just confusing.

And it's not just manual recordings, this applies to programmes entered to record via the EPG too, e.g. enter EastEnders to record on Monday on BBC1 8pm and it enters the planner as 7pm.

I think most people would expect the times shown by the EPG (and times entered manually) to correspond to the time displayed in the planner.

This makes me wonder what happens on Sunday morning when the clocks go back at 2am? For example, if I enter a manual recording for Sunday 02.30am (i.e. after the clock change) I assume it will be entered in the planner as recording at Sunday 01.30am. If I then add a manual recording for Sunday 01.30am (i.e. before the clock change) I assume it will also be entered in the planner as recording at Sunday 01.30am. Would they try to record at the same time??? And which Sunday 01.30am (BST or GMT) would they try to record at??? All very confusing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. The way it currently works is just confusing.

It's very bad. It shows up a fundamentally flawed design in the worst way possible - by completely confusing the user. And that's when it's working correctly!

The way it should work is for ALL times to be stored internally in one single "time zone" - ie. GMT. The software can then display the times in the appropriate zone according to the date (ie. whether the time falls into GMT or BST). Manual Recordings would be a special case, where the time is taken at face value. This would be a whole lot easier to implement than the dodgy internal time modifications that it has to do now - and it would cause no operator confusion (and perhaps most important of all, it would actually work!)

Whoever was responsible for designing "Time" in Sky+ should be dangled in a box over a river. What with this and the 12-hour clock format (that you still have to enter as HHMM), it's quite ridiculous we still have such dreadful useability more than 2 years after the thing was launched.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by nickw
    What with this and the 12-hour clock format (that you still have to enter as HHMM), it's quite ridiculous we still have such dreadful useability more than 2 years after the thing was launched.

Yeah, I've fallen foul of that a couple of times already when doing a manual record. Surely 24-hour clock is pretty much standard by now, and it avoids any coinfusion between am and pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Could this be the reason why my V2 box is playingup at the moment? It's crashing intermittentl and whenever I try to view a recording that I've made over the last week then it starts, freezes for about 5 seconds, moves another wee bit, then freezes again, etc...

The only way back out of this is to pull the plug and wait for the disc to stop and then restart it after about 60 seconds.
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not having any problems with my box at the moment (a V2- but upgraded to 120gb.)

Quite happy- had it two weeks and so far only two things gone wrong- one with a Prem Plus game, but I've heard these been been problems with them. A film I recorded wouldn't play- locked the box when I selected it- but as its on again tommorow I'm not too annoyed.

Very puzzled about the problems with the times of recordings after tonight, must be down to how the EPG works. I'll need to check in the morning as I've two or three things set for tommorow that I don't want to miss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Yea, mine's the same. All times after tonight are showing an hour earlier. Apparently, when the clocks change, the times reset themselves. Will keep an eye on this too.

This hasn't caused any other problems with the box, and I doubt if it would be the reason for the problems mentioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    As expected, all normal recordings have corrected to their correct time. However, all manual recordings, which were 2 hours out, have now gained back an hour, but of course still 1 hour out.

You got to hand it to Sky, not only is there logic to timezone changes bad, but they can't even apply the same logic to all recordings (of -1 hour from set recording) :)

So I will now delete and re-create my manual recordings, I remember doing the same last time as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As requested I've added this bug to the known major bug list at http://www.hummer.co.uk/skyplus-bugs.htm

Perhaps anyone out in the UK testing the new Pre-lease dual record software will be able to confirm to Sky that this problem is fixed?

Assuming one or more of the testers makes or was intructed to make dual recordings :)

In the early days of Sky+ the winter / summer time change used to list all recordings made a hour out. This they actually fixed :)

Automan.
  • Options
    Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched how it worked last night when the clocks changed.

At 1am the EPG seemed to stop at that time, so if you had a recording at 1.30am (which I did), it didn't record it for another 1.5 hours( after the clocks changed at 2am), in other words BST recordings after 1am didn't happen untll GMT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Simple solution to all of this, abolish the clock changes and stick with GMT + 1 hour all year round. :rolleyes: