Free Ntl Tv!

BlueLaserBlueLaser Posts: 247
Forum Member
STICKY:
Hi all :)
I have ntl broadband internet and some of you out there probabily do to whether it is 150k, 600k or 1Mb. I have know this for a while but maybe some of you havn't. Remember when you get broadband installed there was 2 wires, one for catv + bb and the other for telephone.
Well if you take the wire out of your cable modem you are left with a male F plug. I then bought an adapter that turns this Male F plug to a male coaxial plug, at maplins. I then plugged this plug into my tv and started to tune in channels. I found that you can get unencrypted PERFECT analogue basic channels 1 -5. These look excellent, even on my 36" sony screen. I also found that you could get all channels on the ntl analogue package, such as Cnn, Sky Sports yes Sky Sports, BBC News 24, BBC Three, etc.
I then could lock onto these channels and then watch them, Sometimes they would be there but kept going/ comming. This is down to the tv analogue tuner. I have tried 3 different tv's and each can pick up different channels.
So go on, try this on your tv now and see what channels you can pick up.. Ntl can't and won't find out, and there is nothing illegal in gettting channels 1 - 5 if you have a tv liscence. But the other analogue channels I am not sure about.
The quality is even better than sky, no compression :)
Please post here what channels you can tune into with your tv set(S) or pc card :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are just picking up the free to air analogue signals that are present on your cable..

Do a search on the forums for analogue pass through.. you have not found anything interesting :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    This has been knowen for a while now. Same thing if your an ex-subscriber and plug your old Cable line directly into your TV. Also, a hyperband TV(a TV which tunes UHF, VHFH + VHFL) will get more channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course all the channels are free anyway. You have not cracked anything..
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Analogue cable isn't encrypted. They just send messages to the box to say stuff like show Sky One and E4 but not Sky Movies or Sky Sports. Back in the days of Front Row they also told the boxes not show films if you didn't order them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Daveoc64
    Analogue cable isn't encrypted. They just send messages to the box to say stuff like show Sky One and E4 but not Sky Movies or Sky Sports. Back in the days of Front Row they also told the boxes not show films if you didn't order them.

Yes it is, they scramble up the synchronisation so it all appears warped, the STB then sorted this all out again. It is possible to build a home-made unscrambler yourself though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    can sum1 show which adapter i need from the maplins site www.maplin.co.uk
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maplins:

QQ69A, 2 way 'F' splitter
    NG08J 'F' plugs x 4
    QP42V, 'F' socket to coax plug adaptor
    XS16S, satellite coax cable
  • Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what will happen if you plug the 'Male F plug lead' into the 'satellite in' on your Sky digital box? (as they both use the same type of wire).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing would happen, seeing as the digital cable would go down the same lead it is in DVB-C and the sky box wont 'understand' it as it can only 'understand' DVB-S, just the same if you were to connect a DTT box to a satelite or cable, those boxes can only recognise DVB-T.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Two questions...

1) What happens to your internet bandwidth if you're watching tv whilst using the connection? Does it drop or does it remain unaffected as the limit (150k in my case) is not a technical one but ntl-imposed?

2) I want to use the connection with a TV card. However, would I be better off with a DVB-T card and an £8 antenna from maplin? What analogue cards are best for the connection, i.e. can pickup the most channels?

Cheers,
    JH
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The television signals are always on the cable, even if you do not watch the TV so no difference.

A bog standard WinTV card will get you the cable channels but you are better off with a DVB-T card as you get loads more channels.
  • BlueLaserBlueLaser Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    All ntl analogue channels got you mean? On that with no card no sub to ntl apart from my broadband?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by BlueLaser
    All ntl analogue channels got you mean? On that with no card no sub to ntl apart from my broadband?
    All digital and analogue channels are present regardless of what you subscribe to.
    As you found out analogue 'free to air' channels are visiable, all others are encrypted/digital (need a decoder and card).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    those 4 parts listed to get from maplins, are they all needed ?
    i have ntl analogue tv/phone/bb package.

i have a small box in my room for the bb connection, and looking at the bottom of it only 1 of the connections are used and 1 is free

also which tv card do i need to buy ? im looking at hauppauge but dont know which is the cheapest that includes a remote control, and would i need to buy a digital tv card as I only have analogue cable.

Regards.
    Forum Member
    Look that guy is messing you about.
    What do you want to get first, the 5 analogue channels?
    Well on a DTT Freeview box or that card it isn't possible.
    Why? Because I have tried it.
    You have a male F cable coming in. You need to split that and have 1 for your cable modem and 1 for your tv. Get some Ct100 cable and go to the tv and some more Ct100 to go to the cable modem. Then on the tv tune in, perfect all channels pictures and maybe some more depending on your tv set. I also forgot, you need 1 Male coax plug for the tv, and 3 F type plugs, depending on the splitter. GET a 1 IN 2 OUT F type splitter and you should be fine. Also how long is the cable run going to be?
    Forum Member
    Yes I would like the basic 5 channels (with sound) for a Hauppage tv pci fm card, instead of using this mobile aerial connected to the pctv card which is far too grainy.

Im not sure what u mean when you mention runs to the tv set as that is downstairs and I wanted connect to pc card and montor.

I have a tiny box in my bedroom near my pc already which I believe is just an extension from outside the front of my house from a small brown box.
    The box in my room has 2 connections, one is connected to the cable modem, and the other is free which I can see.

I was assuming that:

1. I would just take this free 2nd connector from the box in my room and wire it to my pc card using a correct adapter on the end of the wire, and then tune my channels in like that

OR

2. split the wire thats already presently going in to the cable modem, so 1 end stays in the modem, and the other end with an adapter on the end goes into the pctv card.

Which is best way to do it or wont this work at all and im completely wrong ??
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by pallys
    Yes I would like the basic 5 channels (with sound) for a Hauppage tv pci fm card, instead of using this mobile aerial connected to the pctv card which is far too grainy.

Im not sure what u mean when you mention runs to the tv set as that is downstairs and I wanted connect to pc card and montor.

I have a tiny box in my bedroom near my pc already which I believe is just an extension from outside the front of my house from a small brown box.
    The box in my room has 2 connections, one is connected to the cable modem, and the other is free which I can see.

I was assuming that:

1. I would just take this free 2nd connector from the box in my room and wire it to my pc card using a correct adapter on the end of the wire, and then tune my channels in like that

OR

2. split the wire thats already presently going in to the cable modem, so 1 end stays in the modem, and the other end with an adapter on the end goes into the pctv card.

Which is best way to do it or wont this work at all and im completely wrong ??

The 1st one is wrong. If you look close you will see that one says FM and one says TV. FM won't give you tv, and probaibly isn't wired up at all.
    Do the 2nd option. So The wire goes to your cable modem and pctv card. Also what connection does the card require? S-video, composite, F-plug, male coax?
    Forum Member
    The card can take
    1 x Composite or
    1 x S-video

Also I assume using the 2nd option, It'll be happy still providing internet access to the cable modem and provide tv signals picture sounds all through the same wire ?

Regards.
  • dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Fred Smith
    Maplins:

QQ69A, 2 way 'F' splitter
    NG08J 'F' plugs x 4
    QP42V, 'F' socket to coax plug adaptor
    XS16S, satellite coax cable

right, so i've ordered all that at a cost of £11.73 (P&P VAT incl.), how do i fix it all together?
    Forum Member
    No that is the wrong stuff to order
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by pallys
    The card can take
    1 x Composite or
    1 x S-video

Also I assume using the 2nd option, It'll be happy still providing internet access to the cable modem and provide tv signals picture sounds all through the same wire ?

Regards.

Well you need a Male Coaxial to S-video adapter as well, and then it will work. S-video is much better anyway. You can also use internet at same time :)
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by dvboy
    right, so i've ordered all that at a cost of £11.73 (P&P VAT incl.), how do i fix it all together?
    That is all wrong cancel the order.
    What you need is:
    COAXIAL F SCREW SPLITTER: 1 FEMALE INPUT --> 2 FEMALE OUTPUT.
    That connects onto your existing cable modem cable. Now you need to run a cable to the modem and a cable to the tv/pc card.
    For this you will need 2 x MALE F PLUGS for the cable modem and 1 x MALE F PLUG and 1 x MALE COAXIAL PLUG for the tv.
    For the modem the MALE F Plug goes at the spliter and the other MALE F Plug at the cable modem.
    For the tv the MALE F plug goes at the splitter and the MALE COAXIAL Plug goes to the tv/computer tv card. Also get as much cable as you need. Get double screened CT100 cable.
    Email maplins and say you need the following:
    3 x MALE F PLUGS
    1 x MALE COAXIAL PLUG
    1 x COXIAL F PLUG SPLITTER 1 FEMALE INPUT SOCKET ---> 2 FEMALE OUTPUT SOCKET
    x Meters of Ct100 Cable

x = how many meters you need
    Forum Member
    ah k, so would I be able to change channels from the pc card ?

oh and also there seems to be a 3rd option, which is split the wire that comes from stb to the tv keeping the one that goes to tv and then run the other to my pc ?

a. what advantage would this have ?
    b. would i still be able change channels from the pc card ?

Regards.
  • j0iletj0ilet Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by BlueLaser
    Well you need a Male Coaxial to S-video adapter as well, and then it will work. S-video is much better anyway. You can also use internet at same time :)

sorry but what are you on about!?!?

he ordered exactly what was needed.

i dont think ive even seen a coax to s-video adapter. and what would that be for. only a few things i can think of. the cable coax. composite can be used on coax. good if you dont want interference. or an ariel output from another source.

cable coax to s-video. hmm. somehow i dont think thats going to work! i cant even be bothered saying why as its obvious.

composite to s-video. that will work. but whats the point? you will get the exact same quality with just an RCA composite output. s-video is better. but the video will not even output in s-video so its pointless and a waste of money!

i might have got the complete wrong end of the stick here!

correct me if im wrong please
  • j0iletj0ilet Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    cablesplitting.JPG

thats a pic i fixed up when helping people out in another forum.

thats just for wathcing unencrypted stuff on an analogue or DVB-C tv card. really its quite pointless. not even worth the hassle of ordering stuff. unless you already got the bits sitting around in your house.