Analogue Cable Box - Is It Any Use To Me ?

I have Ntl digital with broadband ..... I also have an old analog box I was wondering if anyone could suggest a use for it.

It used to pick up UK History just prior to its launch but I havnt plugged it in to my spare cable connection since then.

Is it still worth trying to use or is it just a relic from days gone by ?

Comments

• carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    Door-stop? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I was thinkin of something more televisual but hey a door stop sounds good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    How about send it back to NTL!
    As they own it not you :p
    Forum Member
    I got it off a mate in work....didnt ask where he got it from....frankly i dont care!!!

Has anyone got any useful suggestions ???
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by fozzie
    I got it off a mate in work....didnt ask where he got it from....frankly i dont care!!!

Has anyone got any useful suggestions ???

Take it to Brent, where the ex Videotron/Cable and Wireless/ntl analogue network is still very much in swing, plug it in, and get the programme guide for free!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mod it to get free channels or maybe i shouldnt of said that ?
  • BlueLaserBlueLaser Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    How could you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have Ntl digital with broadband ..... I also have an old analog box I was wondering if anyone could suggest a use for it.

Give it back to NTL as its their property and you're breaking the law by doing anything else with it.
    Forum Member
    I got it given to me if you read the earlier post so why the hell should i give it back as NTL have no record of me having the thing.

I was only asking if it was likely to have any use ..... obviously i was wrong to ask for such advice on here !!!
    Forum Member
    It depends in some areas it works some areas it wouldn't. What area are you in? I wouldn't mind buying it off you for £5 or so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Do what u want with it mate. We at ntl dont want you box back. All AN customers who canx or migrate to DTV we tell them to dispose of it in a responsible manner lol, so plug it in - your bound to get a few channels. I've got an AN box, they're good for when your digital goes wrong as a back up - just wapp the old box in and you'll get 1-5 and some others, depending on where you live obviously. Have fun!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give it back to NTL as its their property and you're breaking the law by doing anything else with it.

NTL do not require analogue boxes back anymore, normally they will switch it off - leaving you with channels 1-4 (Not five).

However sometimes they will not send any signal to the box - leaving you with a useful 2nd box for Sky 1, E4, Eurosport, Disovery & MTV.
  • **piston****piston** Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    if you want to mod the box, open the cover up. go down the local chippy and get a bag of chips.

put a nice big fat greasy chip into your old cable box.
    voila you got a chipped cable box:D :p :cool:
  • tokio17tokio17 Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    if you want to mod the box, open the cover up. go down the local chippy and get a bag of chips.

put a nice big fat greasy chip into your old cable box.
    voila you got a chipped cable box
    /

Don't forget the Salt n Vinegar!
    Forum Member
    Tartare sauce too!
  • j0iletj0ilet Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    dont send it back to NTL. it will just end up in someone elses house. probably someone who works for NTL. probably appear on ebay or summat!

if you want some good use out of it. visit some of the "experimental modification" sites. they're easy to modify. its illegal to mod it and plug it into your provider. so dont do it ;)

this is not the place to discuss such activities obviously! if you want more of a challenge do a digi box instead! or rather not as its illegal :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably appear on ebay or summat!

Huh? I can whiff a vague smell of bovine excreta :D
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by bokboy
    Huh? I can whiff a vague smell of bovine excreta :D

these boxes arn't used much anymore. i know people who work for NTL and telewest. they take these home. then they sell them on ebay. or to anyone they know who might want one.

if you go on ebay. your see many of these. the majority come from the install techs. obviously some come from normal people who have had not had anyone come to collect it.

digital boxes are the most common now. but theres a large crack down with NTL to stop their staff selling them.
  • okonskiokonski Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by bokboy
    A sweeping generalisation if ever I saw one. I have TWO NTL boxes like this and they belong to ME, not NTL. In the pre-digital days, customers were encouraged to buy the Jerrold boxes and in return received the programme packages as a reduced rate. In my case, I bought one, and the other was supplied free as a swap for my satellite equipment. So, just because you don;t know, doesn't mean you're right in coming to your erroneous conclusion.

As for 'breaking the Law' - what utter nonsense!
    Forum Member
    well said.

there are plenty of legit reasons why its yours and not the providers.

if you lost your sub box and they charged you for it. then you suddenly found it. obviously its yours as you paid the price for it.

if its bought at a car boot or house clearance, etc. its yours aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone has one that works I may be intersted in buying it, One that hasnt been locked though!!

If you have a valid ntl subscription for the digital Family Sports and Movies.........are you entitled to use the analogue signal too? Obviously ntl wont sell you an analogue box, just it may be useful for recording.

I have a spare cable feed, from an old extra box no longer subscribed to that ould just plug in.
    Forum Member
    your not entitled to use it.

but you can. just keep a low profile and dont tell anyone.

it wont give you many channels. your need to tinker with it to get the channels ;) i take it you already know.
  • Beth HartBeth Hart Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by j0ilet
    your not entitled to use it.

but you can. just keep a low profile and dont tell anyone.

it wont give you many channels. your need to tinker with it to get the channels ;) i take it you already know.
    Now this would be illegal so dicussion on it is not accepted on the forums, thank you.

Beth.
    Forum Member
    yeah sorry about that. atleast i was told off!

last time i emailed the admins about getting one of my threads closed. but was it done? no. did my email get a reply? no

i was beginning to think this place was abandoned
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is an interesting legal discussion I've located.

So, would it be illegal to mod the box, but not connect it to the NTL network and should NTL want it back, remove the mod and send it back? So it would be legal to add the mod to the box as long as the mod can be reversed.

BTW, don't connect the modded box to the cable. It's naughty. ;):D