Options

JVC tv playing up-time for a new one?

Hi folks,

I have a 32 inch JVC tv about nine years old, and when I switched it on today, we noticed that there is a horizontal line about a quarter of the way down from top on screen, above the line the picture is perfectly normal, but below the line the picture is still visible but is tinged with a sort of orangey colour.

I tried switching on and off, no good, might try a tv reset if that is possible, but do think it will be a case of a new tv.

Just want the same size 32 inch but do have a few extra requirements.

1 As I live in N Ireland I want to be able to receive the Saorview RTE TG4 and Virgin Media from Republic of Ireland, as we currently do, as well as having a Freeview Tuner.

2 We use the old magic eye on the old standard basic Sky box which works well for us. I understand that is an Analogue signal, so want to make sure we can use the magic eye with a new tv. The magic eye is taking the signal from Living room to the above TV.

Other than that I can't think of anything else.
Any advice about existing Tv or a new one Gratefully appreciated.
Joe43iny00htoim.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hildenerhildener Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I Would go for a Panasonic or Sony. All modern sets have DVB T2 Tuners as standard so reception of RTE will be ok. However it is not so easy to find a modern set with scart sockets so if the old sky box has not got hdmi that could be a problem. Cannot remember about the magic eye so long ago.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,538
    Forum Member
    As long as you make sure the new set has analogue tuning capability it will fine via the 'magic eye' - most sets probably still do, if not all (as it's a very useful feature that costs nothing to include) - but there are always rumours about manufacturers dropping it. Most of these rumours come from people disabling analogue when they initially set it up - most sets ask if you want to tune in analogue, and if you answer NO then it's removed from all menus, unless you do a factory reset.

Bear in mind as well, you're unlikely to find many sets with SCART, if that's something you still use.

As for your old TV, it's a fault on the LCD panel.
  • Options
    joemardo1joemardo1 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replies, Hildener and Nigel,

I am looking at something like this at Currys

JVC LT-40CR330 (wont let me post link)

I will probably ask Currys in store about the Saorview tuner but as Hildener has mentioned all modern TV's have DVB T" tuners that should cover it.

This new set will connect via the magic eye, as main TV and Sky box is in living room and the cabling is done to deliver the signal to the room that new TV will be in,

I have a distribution box in the loft, both The Freeview aerial, Saorview aerial and Sky feed is connected to it and delivers the signal via the magic eye to the room for new TV.

A bit concerned as mentioned by Nigel that it will be able to tune into the analogue signal of the magic eye, wonder how I would find that out, would the manual mention it?

I do have CCTV camera hooked up to the old faulty TV through a Scart, I barely use it, but i understand I may be able to get a Scart to HDMI converter.

Thanks
    Joe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww just checked the TV above and it does have a DVB T2 tuner on the Currys spec.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    joemardo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies, Hildener and Nigel,

I am looking at something like this at Currys

JVC LT-40CR330 (wont let me post link)

Bear in mind, JVC pulled out of the TV market years ago - so the set is nothing to do with JVC, it's just any cheap crap Currys can buy and badge - Currys currently have the right to use the JVC brand in the UK. Incidentally, when JVC pulled out of the UK, they sold the name to Comet - who shortly afterwards went bust.

But in any case, earlier JVC badged sets mostly weren't made by JVC anyway, they only rarely made their own TV's for the UK market, most were badged even years back in the old CRT days.

I will probably ask Currys in store about the Saorview tuner but as Hildener has mentioned all modern TV's have DVB T" tuners that should cover it.

This new set will connect via the magic eye, as main TV and Sky box is in living room and the cabling is done to deliver the signal to the room that new TV will be in,

I have a distribution box in the loft, both The Freeview aerial, Saorview aerial and Sky feed is connected to it and delivers the signal via the magic eye to the room for new TV.

A bit concerned as mentioned by Nigel that it will be able to tune into the analogue signal of the magic eye, wonder how I would find that out, would the manual mention it?

It's REALLY, REALLY difficult to find out - specifications mostly don't tell you, and manuals are so appallingly bad these days that they are unlikely to be of any help either. If you're asking in Currys, ask them about it - you 'may' be lucky - but Currys staff are rarely very well informed on such details.

The only way to know for sure, is to set one up, and see if it offers analogue tuning - paying close attention while you do - as if you inadvertently answer 'no' it will disappear until a factory reset.

I do have CCTV camera hooked up to the old faulty TV through a Scart, I barely use it, but i understand I may be able to get a Scart to HDMI converter.

The specs at Currys claim an AV input?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been over to Currys and its not good as regards that JVC tv, no analogue tuner it seems, so won't work through magic eye to get the Shy signal and other aerial signals. Seems JVC have stopped the analogue tuner feature.

If anyone knows a brand that still has analogue tuner it would be great.
    Many thanks.
    Joe
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your best option is to select several models that seem a possible choice then search online for their manuals.

For example, I picked this Sony Bravia KD32W800 at random and found in its manual:
    TV system: Depend on your country/area
    selection/TV model
    Analogue: B/G, D/K, I
    Digital: DVB-T/DVB-C/DVB-T2
    Satellite: DVB-S/DVB-S2
    Colour system: PAL/SECAM
    Channel coverage: Depend on your country/
    area selection/TV model
    Analogue: UHF/VHF/Cable
    Digital: UHF/VHF/Cable
    Satellite: IF Frequency 950-2150 MHz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just been over to Currys and its not good as regards that JVC tv, no analogue tuner it seems, so won't work through magic eye to get the Shy signal and other aerial signals. Seems JVC have stopped the analogue tuner feature.

As I already said, it's NOT a JVC TV, it's a Currys TV with a JVC label - and there's nothing in the specs which say the analogue tuner isn't present. Just because it doesn't mention it, doesn't mean it's not present - many specifications no longer bother mentioning it, and I suspect the people who actually write the specification know nothing about the sets.

I'm impressed that misar managed to find a specification which actually does mention it, certainly not all Sony specifications do - although the sets most likely all do have analogue. But I'd certainly recommend a Sony TV over a Currys/TV one (or any other).

The only set I actually know of without analogue (other than tiny handheld ones) was one specially made for Argos - where they had the analogue tuner disabled - the set was a complete and utter flop, and they never repeated the experiment.

Basically there is no 'digital tuner' or 'analogue tuner', just one tuner and common chips which do both, and it's just a question of how the software is written.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Return_of_the_saintReturn_of_the_saint Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    edited 17/03/24 - 20:29 #11
    Aww just checked the TV above and it does have a DVB T2 tuner on the Currys spec.

If you want a cheap set then check out a Toshiba - yes, they are produced by Vestel, but chances are your JVC was a Vestel as well. Looking on their website, most, if not all the sets state analogue tuning with number of presets.

I wonder if the JVC you looked at doesn't have the analogue tuner because it's using the Roku OS as the smart platform.
  • Options
    hildenerhildener Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Just go for a Sony. that will be your best option. I would say Panasonic but small screen Panasonic sets are now made by Vestel. Samsung or Lg would be the Next choice but i would spend a bit more and get the Sony.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hildener wrote: »
    Just go for a Sony. that will be your best option. I would say Panasonic but small screen Panasonic sets are now made by Vestel. Samsung or Lg would be the Next choice but i would spend a bit more and get the Sony.

Sony only do one 32" - the size the OP was asking for and that's massively overpriced. Even their cheapest 40" is over £500 which is 40% more than an LG or Samsung, plus the OP has had 9 years of troublefree use from a JVC set which was almost certainly a Vestel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 18/03/24 - 09:35 #14
    Thanks very much for replies, I have had a look at the Argos website at Toshiba TV ( Sony are out of my price range) and the tv seem to have a analogue tuner as well, though according to manual. if you are to input the UK as country at setup, it won't search for the Analogue channels. So not sure what country I would input there, bearing in mind that I need to search for Freeview as well, maybe if an Analogue country is selected it won't search for Freeview.

I just thought of another possible solution as the old Sky box is connected to my existing Panasonic Plasma bought in 2013 (has an Analogue tuner) in living room though AV2, I could possibility just swap the tv to the room where I need a new tv, and that should work with the magic eye hopefully.

Then I could bring the new TV into living room and reconnect the Sky box through the AV connection on the new TV.

Can you see any problems with this not working. I am living in an area where its not possible to get all Freesat channels on Freeview.

On a slightly different note, as the magic eye setup seems to be nearing its end of life era, is there any other not too expensive way of getting Sky around the house in different rooms for a non Sky subscriber.

Thanks so much for everyone's help,
    Joe

• Options
    Forum Member
    The help pages on the Toshiba website say that all Toshiba (Vestel) sets have analogue tuners, and even tell you how to tune it to your Sky box :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The help pages on the Toshiba website say that all Toshiba (Vestel) sets have analogue tuners, and even tell you how to tune it to your Sky box :D

In fairness to Vestel they do actually put reasonably good information on line for the Toshiba sets they produce, in some cases better than the supposed "premium" or "big" brands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much Folks for replies,

Having been back and forth to Currys a number of times now, and getting advice on this and other forums, there are no really good options open to me, as regards connectivity ports or tuning on modern tv's that would keep me in the loop with these magic eyes.

It does seem that I am in the dark ages somewhat with this magic eye set up, time has moved on and what has worked for me for over twenty years is starting to no longer work for me.

I have three tv's all working over the magic eye setup in different rooms, so what I will do is, take the old plasma in upstairs room that I barely switch on, and use it to replace the tv that has broken down in ground floor room.

I was going to buy a new fifty inch Toshiba for £299 at Currys today but all the connections I use from the old sky box is no longer there on the TV, scart, rgb.

I need to get a more modern Sky box later on when other TV's start to fail, and find a way if its still possible to get the Sky signal around the house, without being a Sky subscriber, not sure if that is possible.

Just buying a TV that may tune Sky into analogue is going to be very hit and miss as far as I can see. It has being pointed out that on initial setup of TV I probably would have to choose a country that has analogue broadcasts (if I choose UK) then probably I would not get the option to tune into the Sky magic eye signal.

If anyone knows of the best way, that may help later on when I get a more modern sky box without being a subscriber to get Sky around the house, then that would be great.

Thanks so much again folks.

I have seen this,

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/how-to-distribute-sky-q-around-the-home
  • Options
    Forum Member

Having been back and forth to Currys a number of times now, and getting advice on this and other forums, there are no really good options open to me, as regards connectivity ports or tuning on modern tv's that would keep me in the loop with these magic eyes.

It does seem that I am in the dark ages somewhat with this magic eye set up, time has moved on and what has worked for me for over twenty years is starting to no longer work for me.

I have three tv's all working over the magic eye setup in different rooms, so what I will do is, take the old plasma in upstairs room that I barely switch on, and use it to replace the tv that has broken down in ground floor room.

I was going to buy a new fifty inch Toshiba for £299 at Currys today but all the connections I use from the old sky box is no longer there on the TV, scart, rgb.

I need to get a more modern Sky box later on when other TV's start to fail, and find a way if its still possible to get the Sky signal around the house, without being a Sky subscriber, not sure if that is possible.

Just buying a TV that may tune Sky into analogue is going to be very hit and miss as far as I can see. It has being pointed out that on initial setup of TV I probably would have to choose a country that has analogue broadcasts (if I choose UK) then probably I would not get the option to tune into the Sky magic eye signal.

As I mentioned above, the Toshiba website clearly states their TV's have an analogue tuner, AND clearly explains how to tune it to a Sky satellite box - which is then accessed on ch901. Ask the guy at Currys to demonstrate how to do it for you.

It would probably be more 'hit and miss' trying to find a TV that doesn't have an analogue tuner.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If anyone knows of the best way, that may help later on when I get a more modern sky box without being a subscriber to get Sky around the house, then that would be great.

Thanks so much again folks.

I have seen this,

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/how-to-distribute-sky-q-around-the-home

Can you confirm which Sky box you've got? Is it the old white Sky + box ?

If it is, then you can pick up the later Sky + HD box online from various sources, that would give you an HDMI port that you could connect to the new TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 18/03/24 - 23:17 #20
    Thanks, yes its the old type of box, probably over 20 to 30 years old, with Scart no HDMI.

Yes you guys will have me sorted buying a new TV yet and to be honest I really want to buy a 50 inch one (will be an an upgrade from the main TV I have with the Sky box 43 inch)

1 As you have said I can then connect the Sky + HD to the new TV through HDMI.
    2 Activate the RIF on Sky HD to power the Magic eyes in other rooms.
    3 Simply move the existing Panasonic plasma TV with analogue/digital tuner to the room where the faulty TV is, and get the signal through the magic eye there.

And hopefully will be sorted.

As already stated I am not a Sky subscriber so hopefully that won't have any bearing on it.

:smiley:

• Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, yes its the old type of box, probably over 20 to 30 years old, with Scart no HDMI.

Yes you guys will have me sorted buying a new TV yet and to be honest I really want to buy a 50 inch one (will be an an upgrade from the main TV I have with the Sky box 43 inch)

1 As you have said I can then connect the Sky + HD to the new TV through HDMI.
    2 Activate the RIF on Sky HD to power the Magic eyes in other rooms.
    3 Simply move the existing Panasonic plasma TV with analogue/digital tuner to the room where the faulty TV is, and get the signal through the magic eye there.

And hopefully will be sorted.

As already stated I am not a Sky subscriber so hopefully that won't have any bearing on it.

:smiley:

AIUI you'll be fine with a Sky + HD box as that still has the co-ax (aerial type socket) output. And it would be a sensible upgrade because Standard Definition (SD) channels are being replaced on satellite with HD ones, so sticking with the old SD box is limiting your choice.

Sky Q boxes *will not* work with your Magic Eye though.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me sending signals around the house at analogue level is a thing of the past. Far better to go digital and use an HDMI modulator and convert the signal into a digital channel, that will be available on your Freeview EPG. Probably Ch. 800. Technomate do an HDMI modulator which I think allows for remote control switching. This way no more inferior quality pictures just glorious HD and SD with no picture degradation.
  • Options
    john_baconjohn_bacon Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    leslie123 wrote: »
    For me sending signals around the house at analogue level is a thing of the past. Far better to go digital and use an HDMI modulator and convert the signal into a digital channel, that will be available on your Freeview EPG. Probably Ch. 800. Technomate do an HDMI modulator which I think allows for remote control switching. This way no more inferior quality pictures just glorious HD and SD with no picture degradation.

Agreed but his sky box does not have HDMI out.
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john_bacon wrote: »

Well I am afraid he will to get a box with HDMI port. If he checks the satellite threads, he will understand a lot of SD channels are either closing or moving to T2 transponders, so his existing box will become virtually useless. The good news is that second hand Sky+HD boxes are available very cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    john_bacon wrote: »

Well I am afraid he will to get a box with HDMI port. If he checks the satellite threads, he will understand a lot of SD channels are either closing or moving to T2 transponders, so his existing box will become virtually useless. The good news is that second hand Sky+HD boxes are available very cheap.

The OP has already started another thread about which Sky box is needed moving forward and Nigel Goodwin has offered some suggestions, so maybe continue the conversation on that thread ?