Options

Fransat Installation

jeffkeyjeffkey Posts: 181
Forum Member
I did an install of a Fransat setup in Southern UK this weekend.

Any Questions?

Comments

• Options
    iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does Fransat give you over and above TNTSat?
  • Options
    radiofan28996radiofan28996 Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffkey wrote: »
    I did an install of a Fransat setup in Southern UK this weekend.

Any Questions?

These are the channels on 5 west?

I used to be able to receive the multi stream channels on a Zgemma receiver. Until they switched the footprint. I lost them.

I had an 80cm ish dish in North Wales. All the other satellites (that I could receive in my location) still worked fine. Just not 5 west.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    iiyama17 wrote: »
    What does Fransat give you over and above TNTSat?

I'd like to know that too. I have a TNTSat receiver and also get tons of German and other European channels free.
  • Options
    john_baconjohn_bacon Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Years ago I brought a Fransat receiver back from a day trip to Calais. I installed in in W London and used for years until it all went HD. I still have the receiver as it can be used as a fta receiver on other satellites. For the Fransat channels I obtained a multistream receiver to use on 5W. Much cheaper than a Fransat receiver and it also gets RAI channels without certain events being blocked out as the other fta feeds are.
  • Options
    radiofan28996radiofan28996 Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john_bacon wrote: »
    Years ago I brought a Fransat receiver back from a day trip to Calais. I installed in in W London and used for years until it all went HD. I still have the receiver as it can be used as a fta receiver on other satellites. For the Fransat channels I obtained a multistream receiver to use on 5W. Much cheaper than a Fransat receiver and it also gets RAI channels without certain events being blocked out as the other fta feeds are.

I am guessing cause you are further south than me, you can still get the 5 west multistreams for the French and Italian channels?
  • Options
    jeffkeyjeffkey Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    edited 24/04/24 - 11:56 #7
    Hello, yes sorry.

I am in lower Hampshire with a better view SW rather than SE from the easy access dish location.

Knowing my UK Garden and the near by trees I did not want to climb up on the apex where the sky dish is.

I had a choice in the local Intermarche over Easter with a choice of receivers for 99 Euros. Fransat and TNTSat. Both with a four year viewing card.

I bought a Strong SRT-7407 FRANSAT HD Receiver with a Card.

The Fransat package includes all of the popular National French TV Channels such as TF1 France2 M6 and W9. Plus Radio Channels.

The reason I went for a dish was my VPN on the TV was getting detected from the official channel sites and was getting blocked.
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 03/05/24 - 06:56 #8
    Interesting to hear that VPN route is becoming less reliable for French TV. I have never tried it, but have considered it many times, as I would dearly love to stop paying the BBC licence fee; (I make a point of never watching Auntie, (for a variety of reasons) but still have to cough up as I'm watching live TV and have sat dishes plastered all over the house, including a 1 m on 5 deg W (most of our watching is in fact French TV).

It was a shame that the replacement satellite at 5 deg W partially failed so soon after launch, I think there might well have been a few more channels up there if they had had the full range of transponders available; as it was they had to shunt some stuff off 5 deg W due to the reduction in available power. As others imply the non French channels are more extensive on 19 deg E. However, worth bearing in mind that TNTsat is no longer qualified by the CSA (or whatever it is now) as a recommended/agrée route to reception of French TV in the absence of a terrestrial signal, and this was amply demonstrated only a couple of years ago when TF1 had a fight with Canalsat and their channels were dropped for two weeks from TNTsat; (During the dispute TF1 briefly had an FTA signal of their own on 19 deg E, shame it went when the battle was resolved). When TNTsat was recognised by the CSA this dropping of channels would not have been allowed.

All that said, if you can get the FTA multistream version it's probably the best solution,, allowing use of non-agreed boxes, in turn allowing one to record and keep stuff with no restrictions. I hesitated for so long over VPN simply because the convenience of a sat box outweighed the resentment of having to pay the BBC licence in order to use it. Hey ho, I suppose I shall have to keep nourishing the BBC indefinitely......