Options

The Eurovision Song Contest 2005 (merged)

Comments

• Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my prediction

1. Bosnia
    2. Hungary
    3. Greece
    4. Romania
    5. Cyprus
    6. Latvia
    7. Norway
    8. Malta
    9. Spain
    10. United Kingdom
    11. France
    12. Denmark
    13. Moldova
    14. Russia
    15. Ukraine
    16. Sweden
    17. Switzerland
    18. Germany
    19. Turkey
    20. Croatia
    21. Serbia & Montenegro
    22. FYR Macedonia
    23. Israel
    24. Albania
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felt I may as well write in this forum, as there are now more far important matters in Eurovision than petting forum squabbling.

ESC 1956-2005

As a devgreat fan of eurovision, I can't believe i'm saying this, but last night I saw the death of Eurovision. Great songs like Austria, Netherlands, Iceland and Belarus not making it through to the final, but dross like Croatia, Latvia and FYROM making it through was disgusting. Political voting is not even funny anymore as pure crap is making it through to the final at the expense of actual good entries. I hope those that 'voted for their neighbour' last night are sufficiently appauled at themselves for runing the contest like this.
  • Options
    trash80trash80 Posts: 21,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh stop being such a bad loser
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monaco had the best song this year
    i'm happy the second best latvia are
    through and hope that they win now
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would really love it if Malta won. The song is very good IMO and they always try so bloody hard. I'd go next year and see it in the flesh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has to be the glam rock or the romanians to win, they were both fantastic
  • Options
    metafismetafis Posts: 11,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trash80 wrote:
    Switzerland to win, but i'm just glad i'll be able to see them again on saturday anyway :D
    I heard that song on the tv showyesterday, yes its not bad at all!. quite good in fact
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flicker wrote:
    I was gonna say I didn't know she'd moved to Malta.

About the same size as Malta!! :D
  • Options
    doctorwhodoctorwho Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Interesting how ballads weren't voted for in the semifinal... I wonder how Malta's ballad will fare then on Saturday..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the best ballad was "why", was that finland? i suppose with ballads they tend to not be as memorable as faster paced songs.
  • Options
    Neily NNeily N Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one am shocked with the results of the semi final round.

Macedonia!!!! - What the hell were the voters on watching this! It's a silly song, and it's only saving grace is the looks of the performer.

Modolva, I expected, the same with Switzerland who put on a really good show :) Romania, Norway, Croatia, Hungary were well performed and well deserved finalists, but Denmark - too cheesy for my liking, Latvia average at best, but I am estatic Israel are through, Shiri performed and sang the song brilliantly, and I for one hope she gets a Top 5 finish. :)

Shame about Ireland...I really though they'd make it, Belarus and Netherlands deserved to go through as well, but I have to say the standard this year is quite poor song-wise.

My rank of the semi-final songs top ten from last night (Out of 15, in three categories: Performance, looks and song):

1. Israel 15
    2. Belarus 13
    3. Netherlands 13
    4. Hungary 12
    5. Iceland 12
    6. Switzerland 12
    7. Rumania 11
    8. Monaco 10
    9. Croatia 10 (looks were it's high mark 5/5 ;))
    10.Ireland 9

11. Andorra 9
    12. Finland 9

bottom were Denmark and Moldova with 4pts. Norway was 14th, but won more marks for it's performance. Also, what is it with Balkan men, Croatia, Slovenia and FYR Macedonia's performers were all nice looking ;) Also the Serbian boyband are quite hot too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    OOOOH Scandal

according to eurosong.nl, people who voted for Netherlands were greeted with 'thank you for voting for croatia', how wrong is that???

wonder if it will make any differrence to the final results?

This forum is much better for current eurovision stuff. i had to search through pages and pages of the other one just to get to the actual contest!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following made it through (somewhat debatably given recent events) to the final;

Hungary
    Romania
    Norway
    Israel
    Latvia (how??!!)
    FYR Macedonia (how??!!)
    Croatia (or maybe they didn't!!)
    Switzerland
    Moldova (again, how??!!)
    Denmark

Netherlands, Iceland, Belarus and Ireland all fell victim to the cull. God knows how this happened as they all performed well and were favourite to win the whole thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    can't believe holland and iceland didn't get through. moldova was such rubbish! None of the songs were either decent, or cheesy, just plain crap. A rather dull eurovision ahead i fear. last nights show was so good until the results happened!
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Just been reading how Javines got a sore throat and how in rehearsals she missed a threw key notes because of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4565987.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    uh oh. could this contest be getting any worse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have proper confirmation that the voting was dud?

Also, I wouldn't worry about Javine's voice just yet, its happened to other before and they've been fine. The Netherlands sung amazingly well in semis, despite not getting any further, and their entrant was stung by a hornet thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why is everyone raving about the dutch song? it was just a competantly sung ballad, hardly memorable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think macedonia benfits from the serbian, bosnian and croatian vote, macedonian pop stars are pretty popular across there too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it was decent, but some of the stuff that got through clearly wasn't. The Dutch women clearly had the best voice, perhaps not THE best song, but still good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well she had a good voice but the monaco singer has better (IMO of course ;) )

its clear in this visual age you have to stand out to be remembered, image is everything in eurovision as in every walk of life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange though. Neither Croatia or FYROM stood out for me and they got through! Its very very suspect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    balkan tastes, macedonian and croatian singers are popular across all the ex jugoslavia. and no that is not political voting, more like people voting for the kind of song/singer they usually listen to. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If thats the case, then why didn't all of western Europe (bar the Iberian peninsula) vote Ireland Iceland and Holland into the final?
  • Options
    athena2004athena2004 Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the other eurovision 2005 thread has 643 Posts, use that one!
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=4020861#post4020861

mods, why cant both threads be merged