Options

Sky Plus without a telephone connection

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
Forum Member
Has anyone every failed to get their Sky Plus activated when it wasn't connected to a telephone line?

Or rapped over the knuckles by Sky if it wasn't connected to a telephone line for the first year?

Xerxes

Comments

• Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a standard digibox installed in 2002 when ITV Digital went belly up,I kept the phoneline in for the first year and then took it out. Since then I've only plugged it back in when I ordered a Premiership Plus season ticket. I upgraded to Sky+ at the beginning of February,plugged it back in whilst the box was activated,and then took it out again. No complaints from Sky as yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think only mirror subs are really policed. My Sky+ has never been connected to the phone line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had a box plugged into my phone line, including sky+, reason being, is a private purchase, set it up myself etc, then just rang them to have it activated
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I'm not sure if with Sky+ there is any requirement to have it plugged in to the phone line - I've got one so I should know, but I can't remember. The only situations I am sure you need it is for mirror subs, as stated above, to ensure one is not getting a second sub on the cheap at another address, and for the normal digibox when you get it free - you have to be plugged in for the first year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    The contract states it should be connected for 12 months.
    However my box isn't, but I do have to connect it to put Premiership+ games in the planner to record (for some reason it looks for a dial tone).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    All kinds of trouble. Just before I moved home I received a letter threatening me with higher charges and even disconnection because a telephone line wasn't connected (SKY insisted that with SKY plus and a second subsidiary box in another room) both had to have telephone lines fitted. After some argument they even offered to send a fitter to fit the second line free of charge. They could not get the line to work but since I was moving home they agreed to wait.

Now in my new home - guess what - it still didn't work. My suggestion that the problem was not at my end was not welcome. In fact getting anyone to listen was difficult. Even several technician visits couldn't cure the problem. After several more threatening letters and more technician visits I managed to get hold of a supervisor at SKY who did some checks and finally agreed that the problem was at their end. Now I have two sets and two working lines but over a year has passed. Can I really disconnect them - I can't find where it says that I must only reamin connected for 12 months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mcu wrote:
    Now I have two sets and two working lines but over a year has passed. Can I really disconnect them - I can't find where it says that I must only reamin connected for 12 months.

Both digiboxes when using the mirror subscription deal must be connected for the duration of the subscription term, there is no set time limit unlike the plain subsidised deal which is 12 months.
    When you cancel the mirror subscription you can remove both phone lines:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    Both digiboxes when using the mirror subscription deal must be connected for the duration of the subscription term, there is no set time limit unlike the plain subsidised deal which is 12 months.

Thanks. What are the differences between these two deals. Is the mirror subscription the one where I subscribe to both SKY+ and a second box. Also - who owns the boxes? Thanks.

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mcu wrote:
    Thanks. What are the differences between these two deals. Is the mirror subscription the one where I subscribe to both SKY+ and a second box. Also - who owns the boxes? Thanks.

:confused:

The subsidised deal is just the £1 install and a free digibox that has been around for nearly 5 years.
    The mirror subscription is a second smartcard carrying the same package as the original subscription for £10 a month extra.

The subsidised deal gives you the digibox free of charge, however if you break the T&C's then SKY can bill you for the balance of the subsidised installation price.
    SKY+ is as an unsubsidised product, you paid frull price and it is yours to do with as you please. However the channel subscription and SKY+ service subscription have T&C's assocaited with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    The mirror subscription is a second smartcard carrying the same package as the original subscription for £10 a month extra.

Thanks again. This explains the extra charges SKY were threatening me with when they couldn't find my second phone line. Nevertheless all the hype about moving the spare box to a bedroom for only £10 a month never carried a statement that a second phone line might need to be fitted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mcu wrote:
    Thanks again. This explains the extra charges SKY were threatening me with when they couldn't find my second phone line. Nevertheless all the hype about moving the spare box to a bedroom for only £10 a month never carried a statement that a second phone line might need to be fitted.

Specific details such as those are rarely part of a advertsing blurb, but for legal purposes they are covered by the catch all "terms and conditions" apply.