Options

7-Day EPG?

marbles316marbles316 Posts: 1,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've heard that the BBC/digital network companies have successfully trialled 4 and 7 day epgs in wales and now plan to test again in the london area: do you need a special box to be able to use the 7 day EPG? currently my box, a Furguson FDT500 only displays now and next; will the box manufacturers provide an upgrade when the time comes?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    The Fusion FRT100 offers this facililty currently. I think it does depend which STB you are using.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know wether it will work with the Thomson DTI1000
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the Nokia Mediamaster 221t?
  • Options
    holsy1982holsy1982 Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bram wrote:
    The Fusion FRT100 offers this facililty currently. I think it does depend which STB you are using.
    That uses a different system. Channel 704 4TV.
    The BBC/Freeview system had some problems in testing someone said.
    No-one seems to know what boxes will be updated to run it.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some boxes already support it (Sony and Paces non-OnDigital boxes) whilst others have been promised updates (Goodmmans GBD2+ ?) and other won't support it (OnDigital boxes, Panasonic TUCT-20). These boxes are only examples from the top of my head btw
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Well isnt the Goodmans GBD2 similiar to the Thomson DTI100 or am i thinking about something else.
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youre thinking about something else-the Grundig is simalar to the thompson
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first had my pace dtva it did list a whole days programming on some channels when using the EPG, however last time I used it, it only listed now and next on all channels. I am using the mendip tx if that makes any difference.
  • Options
    bronx2282bronx2282 Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my Pace DT210F supports it looking at the layout of it.
    I was wondering whether it would slow down the time it takes to load the EPG data into the guide feature of the box, it takes a few seconds to recieve the info as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bronx2282 wrote:
    I think my Pace DT210F supports it looking at the layout of it.
    I was wondering whether it would slow down the time it takes to load the EPG data into the guide feature of the box, it takes a few seconds to recieve the info as it is.
    Pace will most likley add the same cacheing techneque to the boxes as is currently on the TWIN. After first view, the information is stored on the flash memory. Oh how I wish the box would download it with Tuner 2 when it was booted?!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeydb wrote:
    When I first had my pace dtva it did list a whole days programming on some channels when using the EPG, however last time I used it, it only listed now and next on all channels. I am using the mendip tx if that makes any difference.
    Yes there was some wide-scale testing of a 24 hour EPG sometime last year. By happy coincidence I was visiting my uncle at the time, who has a Pace DTVA. I can say now that without some changes (some caching wouldn't go amiss, like Nic said) to the way the DTVA (and possibly the FTVA) handles EPG data it will be unuseable - it took nearly half an hour for listings to fully load IIRC.

Sam
  • Options
    asjonesukasjonesuk Posts: 8,954
    Forum Member
    Are there actually chances of Pace DT210 owners actually getting caching software though? Now that the box has been discontinued - what will that do for the software support??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read on another message board that tests will resume in the London area sometime during w/c 3rd May 2004. So hopefully those people in London will keep their eyes peeled to see if this is true.

http://dtt-tx-info.org/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=20
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    A full 8 day EPG will start broadcasting from Crystal Palace from 5th May at 2pm. Full details of this on the DTG website . They also have details of the receivers that can receive this, apparently only Sony STB and IDTVs, Pace STBs and Humax STBs.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePa wrote:
    A full 8 day EPG will start broadcasting from Crystal Palace from 5th May at 2pm. Full details of this on the DTG website . They also have details of the receivers that can receive this, apparently only Sony STB and IDTVs, Pace STBs and Humax STBs.
    Thanks for posting the information and link. So if these tests are sucessful in London now long do you think it will be before it rolls out across the whole of the country?
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Nokia Mediamaster 221t?

Well said, will the 221t supoort such a function
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjb007 wrote:
    Well said, will the 221t supoort such a function
    The BBC have said the following boxes will work

Humax F2 Fox 1 STB
    Humax 8000 PVR (full product details not specified)
    Pace PVR
    Pace DTVA
    Sony VTX D800U
    Sony iDTVs (integrated digital TV sets)

... but they then go on to say

"However, once extended SI is available ongoing, [the broadcasters] would hope that more manufacturers make their boxes capable of displaying extended SI - either through over-air software upgrades or by marketing new 'schedule-ready' receivers."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisdafur wrote:
    Thanks for posting the information and link. So if these tests are sucessful in London now long do you think it will be before it rolls out across the whole of the country?

I think that if the Crystal Palace tests are successful the roll out should follow about a month later. However, the SI information is not going to be broadcast on the SDN mux for these tests, so that may be something that could delay any rollout as they might want to test on that mux first.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent news - when they say "trial" does that mean there's a planned end date ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Thats odd..
    I thought the SETPAL range of receivers were able to support this?
    Maybe we' can expect another update...

strange..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pyrie wrote:
    Thats odd..
    I thought the SETPAL range of receivers were able to support this?
    Maybe we' can expect another update...

strange..

It's my understanding that Setpal STBs were going to be getting the proprietry EPG that was developed for Fusion STBs and broadcast by 4TV.
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news - when they say "trial" does that mean there's a planned end date ?

As far as I understand theres two parts to the trail :-

part 1, is that they want to see that the software can be loaded on to the transmitters computer with out it crashing. Once london is working fine then it will be rolled out over the country and that will be the end of trail.

Part 2, will allow all the manufacturers to test there products in the london area so that it will work.

iain
    x
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very happy it's now 8-Day, this will provide massive benefits (esp for PVRs) as when you've just watched a prgram you liked you can immediately record next weeks episode.
    Also great to see progress is being made :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    FWIW, there are some experiences with the extended EPG on the Humax boxes (including some clues on the timescales for the new software to be released) at http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=122970
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could anyone who witnessed the Wenvoe tests help?

Does the 8-day epg data include channel and programme data for TuTV's services?

Many thanks.