Options

Freeview PVR (Thomson DHD4000 PVR)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
Forum Member
My wife and I are just sitting here waiting for a proper Freeview PVR with a 7+ day EPG that functions as well as the Sky+ box (or better) with a 40-80 Gb hard drive.

Is there one, going to be one?

Comments

• Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    The Pace Twin has access to the full EPG.

It's just that the EPG isn't being broadcast in its entirety yet.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pace Twin has access to the full EPG.

It's just that the EPG isn't being broadcast in its entirety yet.

... but 20GB HDD.

There is the option of upgrading the HD, but you're probably best holding out until something with a bigger HD comes out. There is a Humax twin tuner due but I'm not sure of the details.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still holding my breath for the Fusion FVRT100 and the Thomson DHD4000, long promised and long delayed:(
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jarrak wrote:
    Still holding my breath for the Fusion FVRT100 and the Thomson DHD4000, long promised and long delayed:(
    Jarrak, people must think you a new species - we're both turning blue! It's probably going to be quite a wait for that Thomson, but the Fusion must surely be being checked through Heathrow or Southampton right about now. It's been promised for the middle of this month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite a remarkable wait:)
    I upgraded the terrestrial aerial and distribution last year in preperation of replacing an analogue source/VCR combo but so far I've only managed to install a single Freeview box in a bedroom.
    I did not believe I would still be using analogue 6 months later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I just read at www.pvruk.co.uk that the fusion should be available in the shops by thte end of the month.....

mburton2
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a Humax twin tuner due but I'm not sure of the details.

It's this one the PVR8000T. It's currently on dabs.co.uk for £149.99 and has a 40Gb hard disk (20 hours).

The BBC say it is also compatible with the 7-Day Epg according to this post.

It looks like a bargain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobbynolan wrote:
    It's this one the PVR8000T. It's currently on dabs.co.uk for £149.99 and has a 40Gb hard disk (20 hours).

Actually, not sure the PVR8000T is a twin - now that I've looked. Sorry if it isn't. Someone correct me if this is the case. It's just that I was going to buy one of these but wont if it not a twin. Will prob opt for the Pace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    It only has a single tuner - but Humax are making a twin tuner PVR and if its as good as the single tuner one appears to be then it could turn out to be a very good piece of kit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butleri wrote:
    It only has a single tuner - but Humax are making a twin tuner PVR and if its as good as the single tuner one appears to be then it could turn out to be a very good piece of kit!

Guess I'll wait for the Dual tuner. Though the 8000T is very good value for money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The Humax is an outstanding pvr I have only had this unit for a short while but it is far better than my sky+ which I have stopped using. As I have dtt box downstairs I only use it for recording other channels and viewing in the bedroom and it is connected to the TV downstairs with a link so I can watch recorded programs.

This suits me with NO Sky payment for channels I don't need, if Sky provided a card for freeview or the same as topup tv with a small payment for extra channels I may have kept my subscription with Sky
  • Options
    Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ford wrote:
    The Humax is an outstanding pvr I have only had this unit for a short while but it is far better than my sky+ which I have stopped using. As I have dtt box downstairs I only use it for recording other channels and viewing in the bedroom and it is connected to the TV downstairs with a link so I can watch recorded programs.

This suits me with NO Sky payment for channels I don't need, if Sky provided a card for freeview or the same as topup tv with a small payment for extra channels I may have kept my subscription with Sky

Is it actually better than the Sky+ or is it that it does what you need on Freview and has an acceptable price. Can be explicit about why it is far better than your SkY+?

Roger
  • Options
    Forum Member
    considering the faults I had with my V1 sky+ box in the first year I had it, they changed it 3 times. If you take the cheapest package you still have to pay for recording! which makes this £23.99 for the basics.

the Humax fair enough doesn't have twin tuners but the box is solid smaller than the Sky V1 and very quiet, longer recording time better picture quality than sat, a two year guarantee, seems to have all the same features and once the 7 day epg is activated will be an ideal pvr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    The Thomson DHD 4000 is going to be available from Currys from Monday......I had a chance to look at the manual, as the currys next to my work already have it in stock. I provides 7 days EPG, Pause Live TV plus host of other features + 40gb HDD, and Twin Tuner.
    No pricing was available as iyet, it is going to be officialy availabel from Monday! Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news.
    Regardless of a SKY subscribers need to buy a Freeview PVR device more of these on the market can do nothing but good in regards to SKY+ and it's development.
    SKY will soon get the message when the industry press start comparing these new STB's with SKY+ and point out the subscription elements and dated spec of the older SKY hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I honestly think sky have taken as much profit as they can, I was with Sky from the days of analogue, digital Sky + seemed a perfect solution, no need for a vcr and has a twin tuner.

I expected the costs to at least stay where they were or come down with all the new subscribers and profit increase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dariusz wrote:
    The Thomson DHD 4000 is going to be available from Currys from Monday.......
    Just rang Thomson and they confirmed this is the case, and that it will be available from Dixons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    Quick! Somebody buy one and tell us what it's like!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:

:D
    It's funny but I had no hesitation in ordering SKY+ as soon as it was announced, perhaps because I had no problems with the PACE 2200 digibox I'd been using since SKY D launched.
    However just like people who have said if they had read the reported problems with SKY+ they would not have bought it I am thinking the same after reading the DTT forums.
    The disregard some manufacturers have in making sure all their customers have the most upto date software and bug fixes bothers me and how that would impact a warranty claim against the supplier.

Anyhow I still favour the FVRT100 but it ain't here so the Thomson even though it isn't pretty has to be considered (after someone else has bought one).
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    Seem to remember Thomson saying that John Lewis would have them early too, but that was quite a while ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote:
    :D
    ... so the Thomson even though it isn't pretty ...
    :)

Definitely with you on that one, Jarrak!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jswift909 wrote:
    Seem to remember Thomson saying that John Lewis would have them early too, but that was quite a while ago.
    Popped in to John Lewis today but they don't have them. I asked about it and they told me that they usually get it up to 3 weeks after Dixons/Currys. If anyone has any details of the pricing in Dixons/Currys can they post - I may take a look there on Monday.
  • Options
    Digi_MasterDigi_Master Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately they don't have any stock, nor any updated delivery date for stock - I rang them on Friday. I'm really looking for somewhere I can see the box, perhaps even see it in action, to make up my mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Great news about the Thompson unit, i'll probably get it despite it being ugly as sin.

Does anyone know of any reviews of it, or full lists of features? :)