Options

SKY+ and Football First

ScottishwhiteScottishwhite Posts: 1,236
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm off to a wedding on the firsy day of the season (2nd wedding in 6 years held on the first day of the season). I am wanting to record one of the football first matches (I seem to remember hearing that the latest update will give us the option of recording an interactive application), does anyone know if this is possible and if so how to set it in advance?

Comments

• Options
    LemonadeLemonade Posts: 4,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can record any match on Football First. Not sure to put it in advance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you would not be able to record the chosen match in advance
    because the red button during football first would need to be pressed and match of your choice chosen
    the answer is no you cant
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Why not? You will be able to record any champions league match which uses the same interactive technology. I'm not saying you will be able to but there is no technical reason why you can't.
  • Options
    BCtomBCtom Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See this recent thread which we discussed this issue http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=135533
  • Options
    james paynejames payne Posts: 4,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not? You will be able to record any champions league match which uses the same interactive technology. I'm not saying you will be able to but there is no technical reason why you can't.

No technical reason no, however how would the Sky+ box know when to press the Red button, and then know how to select what game you wanted to record.

The Champions League and Prem highlights game would have had to been selected by the individual. Once chosen, press select and then there's your game to either watch or record. Not so simple I imagine if you're not there.

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something James or was recording interactive streams now made possible with the latest software? Why is interactive Champions league not the same as the new Premiership service???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening to you Richard.

I think somewhere we're both getting our wires crossed.

Indeed with the latest s/ware you can indeed record Interactive streaming. This will coincide with the nre Prem service and multistart movies.

I imagine the way it will be implemented will be to press Red and wait for the interactive games/highlights to load. There will then me a choice of games that will be on offer to watch the extended highlights. It will be these highlights (in the interactive application) that you would be able to record. The same goes for the Champions League games. Where as last year you could choose the game you wanted to watch via SSX, you could not record it. This year, with this latest s/ware you will be able to choose and record(handy if you then go out) The same could be said for the Prem highlights. If you are there at 22:30, or whenever it's on, you can choose your game from the interactive application, and then record it if you choose to go out or leave the room, or watch another channel etc.

I think the original question was whether you would be able to set up in advance one of these interactive matches. Personally I don't think it would be as like I said, I can't see how the box would be able to guess which game you wanted to watch. You can record the interactive games once the red button has been pressed, however I don't think the box will press the red button for you.............therefore not being able to set it up in advance..................phew ;)

Regards James
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    They are repeating Football first many times through the night on Sky Sports. However, I think it will have the same main match each time and will still have the interactive element.

If they had changed the main match Sky+ users would have been able to record a particular match in advance. What a shame they are not broadcasting a different match each time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member

I imagine the way it will be implemented will be to press Red and wait for the interactive games/highlights to load. There will then me a choice of games that will be on offer to watch the extended highlights.... If you are there at 22:30, or whenever it's on, you can choose your game from the interactive application, and then record it if you choose to go out or leave the room, or watch another channel etc.

I think the original question was whether you would be able to set up in advance one of these interactive matches. Personally I don't think it would be as like I said, I can't see how the box would be able to guess which game you wanted to watch.

An earlier news story on this site seemed to suggest that the interactive streams would appear on the EPG, which if true suggests that you will be able to set them to record in advance:

The goal is that for this year's Champions League you will be able to record any of the games even though most of them are on an interactive channel, which will be accessible via the EPG and as usual via the programme while recording. From the EPG you will be presented with a set of options of programmes showing on the interactive channel and will then be able to select, while like pushing the record button will finally have the desired effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if all the Champions Leagues games and Interactive highlights of Prem games are accessable via an extended EPG, therefore being able to set up to record in advance every game your team plays, that would be excellent.

Possibly THE best advancement since Sky+ was developed.

Roll on the 14th !!!!...................Come on you Spurs ;)

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elbow wrote:
    An earlier news story on this site seemed to suggest that the interactive streams would appear on the EPG, which if true suggests that you will be able to set them to record in advance:
    That was my understanding of the situation. I would think having to press the red button fist to record a Champions League game would be useless for most people. Lets hope it does show up in the EPG though for both CL matches and the new Premiership programs.
  • Options
    JonLambertJonLambert Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, what I would like to see is this for example:-

Select Champions League from the EPG as normal, except you will be presented with a new screen perhaps with something like this:-

Please select your chosen match

1. Arsenal v Inter Milan
    2. Porto v Bayern Munich
    3. Man Utd v Roma
    4. Ajax v Panathinaikos
    5. Fenerbahce v Juventus
    6. Paris SG v Celtic

0. Main match coverage

Would be very simple really. Come the time when the program starts, the box doesn't need to press the red button for you etc, it just needs to directly record the interactive stream that you have selected.

Of course if this is not how this new feature is going to work, and you do in fact have to access interactive first, then the whole thing is pretty useless really, and the only benifit I can see, is that you will have the option to use live pause on one of the interactive games if necessary.

If we do get an extended choice menu like above, then I would also like to see the feature implemented on other sports other than just the football. I like my tennis, and it would be nice to be able to select a certain court in advance to record on Masters Series events and the US Open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonLambert wrote:
    Yes, what I would like to see is this for example:-

Select Champions League from the EPG as normal, except you will be presented with a new screen perhaps with something like this:-

Please select your chosen match

1. Arsenal v Inter Milan
    2. Porto v Bayern Munich
    3. Man Utd v Roma
    4. Ajax v Panathinaikos
    5. Fenerbahce v Juventus
    6. Paris SG v Celtic

0. Main match coverage

Would be very simple really. Come the time when the program starts, the box doesn't need to press the red button for you etc, it just needs to directly record the interactive stream that you have selected.

Of course if this is not how this new feature is going to work, and you do in fact have to access interactive first, then the whole thing is pretty useless really, and the only benifit I can see, is that you will have the option to use live pause on one of the interactive games if necessary.

If we do get an extended choice menu like above, then I would also like to see the feature implemented on other sports other than just the football. I like my tennis, and it would be nice to be able to select a certain court in advance to record on Masters Series events and the US Open.

Nice idea Jon.....

........Have you ever thought about a job in Sky+'s s/ware development/technical dept.

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just decided to open August issue of Sky Magazine.

Sports section..Page 49

To choose one of these matches ........Press the red button on your Sky remote while watching Football First . You'll see a video menu and you can use the arrows or number keys to select the match of your choice.

To Watch a diffrent match .......You can choose to join highlights of one of the other games by pressing ' Back Up ' to navigate the video menu, or short cut by using the number buttons. The service will also be available on certain midweek Premiership nights.

There certainly doesn't appear to be any mention of additional EPG entries enabling Sky+ users to set up recordings in advance . This however isn't surprising as the mags put together about 6wks in advance and at this stage I don't imagine they'd of known that there was new S/ware supporting this.

However it does say to me that as the viewer can choose which highlights he wants to watch, if the s/ware is ready then there will be the option to record one, whilst watching another. This said.......You will not be able to set it up in advance.

As Jon and Richard said....pretty useless if you're not there.

Regards James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But lets not forget, this is Sky we are taking about so the chances of something in the latest software being pretty useless is sadly quite high. Fingers crossed over here. Less than two weeks until we find out. In fact, shouldn't we know by this Saturday night? If it's in the EPG I would presume it will be available 7 days in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But lets not forget, this is Sky we are taking about so the chances of something in the latest software being pretty useless is sadly quite high. Fingers crossed over here. Less than two weeks until we find out. In fact, shouldn't we know by this Saturday night? If it's in the EPG I would presume it will be available 7 days in advance.

Now you are being optomistic ;)

Regards James
  • Options
    JonLambertJonLambert Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice idea Jon.....

........Have you ever thought about a job in Sky+'s s/ware development/technical dept.

Regards James

mmm, the changes that one could make to the whole system :)

Anyway, in an ideal world I would implement a system 'slightly' different to what I originally suggested. It's ok to have a new screen pop up when you select a programme like that in the main EPG, but if you selected "Football First" to record from the search and scan bar, would you want your viewing interuppted by a whole screen of info. So I change my initial thoughts slightly. How about this:-

All programmes with the option to record an interactive screen should be marked with an 'i' in the top right hand corner of the info banner (where it currently shows W for widescreen etc).

When selecting an interactive program to record, you don't instantly get a new screen appear like I sugeested before (so it doesn't interrupt your viewing), instead....

In the personal planner, when the new program is highlighted by the user a new option appears at the bottom of the screen for when the "red" button is pressed (currently not used), by pressing red here you then get to select which match to record (using the screen I posted before). By using this method, you would also be able to pop back into the planner at any time before the program starts to change your mind. If you never select an interactive option, it records the main program feed by default.

When pressing the "i" button in the personal planner on an interactive program, it would show which interactive game you have selected.

What do you think of that??

Something that springs to mind if we do get to choose interactive screens in advance.

We should have the option to add the same program to the personal planner twice, this would allow you to dual record 2 different games then. Currently if you press record on a program you already have set up, it would add it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I tried to set Sky+ to record football first next week to see if you got an option to choose the games but you don't so doesn't seem that it will be working until at least the champions league starts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    pac wrote:
    I tried to set Sky+ to record football first next week to see if you got an option to choose the games but you don't so doesn't seem that it will be working until at least the champions league starts.

I thought you'd have to wait till tommorow (sunday) before you could even see next saturdays EPG????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No you can see what is on this time in 7 days, it has two seperate entries for the delayed game and then the "match choice".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning to you all.

Unless you're able to set up in advance which Interactive highlight game you want to record, or unless Sky have a different game showing on each programme throughout the night, what is the point in Sky repeating the programme one after the other throughout the night.

You watch the full highlights of say Spurs v Liverpool at 20:00 (or whatever time it is on). Then at 22:15 you press the red button and choose the game of your choice.

It's then on again at 23:45, 01:15, 02:45 etc.............what good is that if you cannot set the game up in advance. Most people have gone to bed for goodness sake.

Regards James
  • Options
    Dek HoganDek Hogan Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No software upgrade for me Amstrad yet so however it works, no recording extended highlights for me :cry::cry:

Looks like I'll be stuck with MoTD who, if they are anything like The Premiership, will show about 45 seconds of me beloved Villa right at the end :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good morning to you all.

Unless you're able to set up in advance which Interactive highlight game you want to record, or unless Sky have a different game showing on each programme throughout the night, what is the point in Sky repeating the programme one after the other throughout the night.

You watch the full highlights of say Spurs v Liverpool at 20:00 (or whatever time it is on). Then at 22:15 you press the red button and choose the game of your choice.

It's then on again at 23:45, 01:15, 02:45 etc.............what good is that if you cannot set the game up in advance. Most people have gone to bed for goodness sake.

Regards James
    I would have thought that Sky would update the EPG after the days matches and have decided what order they want to show the games. I suppose they will show the best game on Football First, well... first, then show the rest of the games throught the night.

Re interactive recording though, Sky said we'd also be able to record multistart films, so when is the next film on interactive? We could try that to see what happens (if anything). This Saturdays Premiere is Star Trek.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are two multistart films, soon, think Johnny English is on a week saturday then the two towers the week after, this is just from memory though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if Football First doesn't work, I'll have to test out those films then to see what happens with the new software. I have a feeling it wont work for football first though. :(