Options

Day to Day (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
Forum Member
✭✭
This is the thread where people can volunteer to do a number of things on Day to Day, the new daily soap opera written by the Digital Spy board members. At the moment we need people for three different jobs.

1) Writers

Every week we'll be appealing for people to write the actual episodes. This, we feel, makes it way more interesting than if just a few people were writing the episodes the whole time. It is a big risk though, as people may volunteer but end up never producing the episode. So there are a few things we ask of all potential writers.
  • If you aren't 100% sure you'll be able to write the episode, don't volunteer. You're not only letting us down, but also the readers.
  • You'll be either PM'd or emailed an episode plan for your episode. Please stick to this, and don't make any changes. Later on we might need to get a few more people to come up with plots and character suggestions, and those who put the most into the episodes will be the ones who get first refusal.
  • If you don't post your episode by 9pm the day of your episode, then we suggest you post the episode plan on the boards. Then there is a possibility that another person will write the episode, or at least the readers will know what was due to happen in the episode and this will help with continuity.
If you put down that you want to write an episode, please put down which day you want to. At the moment we are only taking writer's for the first week of episodes. To give us and the writers a chance to get everything ready, there will be no episode this Monday, January 3rd.

I will try to get your episode plans out to you ASAP, by PM. Please send me a message back, just to let me know that you've recieved it. If you have any questions then I'll try to answer them as well.

2) Website Team

We are hoping to have the website ready this Friday, but we will need a team of people to design and maintain it. I myself have some limited experience with web design, but I don't think I will be good enough to design this website at all. I think we should have a team of people, updating the site every Friday/Saturday with that weeks new episodes, copied from the DS boards. We definitley need to discuss this beforehand.

3) Recappers
A feature of the website will be the recaps, which will hopefully make it easy for new readers to catch up easily on all the previous episodes. So we will need people to send in either episode by episode or week by week recaps. This too needs to be discussed, but if you put your name down here then I'll PM you and we can talk about any ideas you may have as to how it can be done.

I have an idea about setting up a board/group of some kind for the team running the website and the recappers, so that can be discussed in PM's as well.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few weeks ago the idea was suggested that the members of the Digital Spy boards write their own soap opera, and post it daily on the boards. Over time this idea has developed, and we are now proud to present the first ever episode of that soap - Day to Day.

Episodes will hopefully be posted every weekday from this Tuesday onwards. A website, containing recaps and week by week episode archives, will soon appear also. As well as all this readers can actually put their name down to do a number of things, including write one of the first episodes. There's more about that at http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=179688

And now...

Written by Alan Ryan (youngpassion)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mainland B&B, 9pm

“A new start. It’s just what we need.” Pauline Osbourne said, smiling down at her son Joshua as he slept soundly in his cot beside her bed. She was tired after travelling rather a lot that day, but knew that it would be worth it to get away from all the problems back home, back in Dublin. The door in the small room opened, and John Osbourne stepped into the room.

“It’s freezing outside.” He said, pushing the door back and pulling off his scarf.

“Here, sit down beside the radiator.” Pauline said, moving out of her husband’s way.

“Is he asleep?”

“Yeah, at last. He doesn’t know that this time tomorrow night he’ll be sleeping in his new home.”

John and Pauline both looked down for a minute at their son. Eventually Pauline broke the silence.

“Did you get everything sorted out?”

“Yeah.”

“So what time do we travel at?”

“The boat usually travels at nine in the morning, midday and three in the afternoon but tomorrow, because of New Year’s, it’s going just once at three.”

“That’s a pity. I wanted to be there earlier, to get properly settled in for our first night in our new home.”

“It’s only a ten minute drive from the boat to our house, so we should be there by four tomorrow afternoon.”

Pauline smiled, happily.

“I nearly forgot.” John said, taking his hands off the radiator and reaching into his coat pocket. “I picked this up downstairs from Mrs. Carroll.”

“What is it?” Pauline asked, as he handed her a small book.

“Everything you need to know about the island.”

“Everything?”

“Yeah. The history of the island, it’s population, places of interest, everything.”

“Oh, here’s the introduction.” Pauline began, after flicking through a few pages. “The island has been inhabited on and off over the past thousand years. In recent times the population has dropped from a high in the 1800’s of almost 1,000 to roughly 300. There are two small towns on the island. The larger, located to the eastern side of the island, has most of the island’s amenities.”

“Sounds great doesn’t it?” John said.

“During the summer tourists flock to the island, staying in one of its three B&B’s. Farming and fishing follow tourism as the main industries on the island.”

The Golden Anchor, 11.40pm

Ashley McIntyre sighed, as she looked around the busy, smoke-filled pub. She’d been working non-stop for the past hour on the busiest night of the year, all by herself. The owner of the pub and her boss, Frank O’ Neill, had really annoyed her by refusing to take any extra staff on for the night. Now, to add to her annoyance, there he was, standing in a corner, talking to several fishermen. He looked comfortable, with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

Ashley didn’t particularly like Frank, but they understood each other and he usually was good about letting her have nights off. Ashley, in her mid twenties, and Frank, in his early fifties, didn’t have much in common, especially when it came to their outlooks on life and their opinions, but they respected one another. This was why Ashley was so angered by his laziness.

She glanced over at her mother’s table, who looked up and gave an understanding smile. Clare McIntyre was not a native of the island, but had been living there since her marriage twenty six years ago. Gary, Clare’s husband and Ashley’s father, had passed away from a heart attack almost ten years ago. Clare, owner of the local bed and breakfast, was popular among her neighbours and was always at the centre of any community events.

Behind the bar Ashley smiled back at her mother, before hearing a beep out of the dishwasher. Ashley began to unload the contents, not noticing a loved up couple enter the pub. A few older customers showed their disapproval at the obvious affection the two people were showing, but most of the islanders didn’t mind.

Brushing back a strand of her dark hair, Ashley stood back up having finished with the dishwasher. She was taken aback to see two her two best friends standing at the other side of the bar.

“You look busy, honey.” Robert Barrett greeted.

“Rob, Aaron. What are you two doing here?”

Both men smiled, before Aaron Richardson piped up. “Are you not glad to see us or something?”

“I am, but I just thought you two were spending both Christmas and New Year with your parents, Aaron.”

“Let’s just say things didn’t go too well with them.”

“Bit of an understatement.” Robert added.

“Oh, I see.” Ashley said, knowingly. “But you two had a good Christmas then?”

Robert grinned. “Definitely. I’m not going to let anybody ruin my Christmas, even if they are Aaron’s parents. So tell us about your Christmas? Did any tall, dark handsome men walk through these doors only for you to fall into their arms?”

“Sadly not. Things have been pretty quite on the romance front for me.” Ashley answered.

“Doesn’t really help living on a such a small island does it?” Aaron stated.

“Not really. Especially when there are only around one hundred and fifty men.”

“And you’ve been through most of them already.” Robert joked.

Ashley smiled. “Yeah. The oh-so eligible men, such as Frank O’ Neill for one.”

The trio laughed, and looked over in the direction of Ashley’s boss. Frank looked up and noticed them looking at him. He smirked at Aaron and Robert, before poking one of the old fishermen beside him. The fisherman listened before bursting out laughing at Frank’s joke. The fisherman too looked in the direction of the bar.

“Don’t mind him.” Ashley said, imagining the sort of homophobic joke Frank had just told. He was always making digs at Aaron and Robert, but nothing threatening. It was one of the things he and Ashley disagreed on. But she knew there was nothing she could do to change his opinions.

“Me, mind Frank O’ Neill? That’ll be the day honey.” Robert said, laughing it off. “Where were we?”

“Talking about my love life. I was talking about the sexy older men on the island.”

“What about Dr. Dave?” Aaron asked. Robert and Ashley both turned to look at Aaron, staring. “What?”

Dr. Dave Harris was seated with his wife Fiona and Clare McIntyre. The two women were talking away, as Dave looked around the bar. It brought back memories. He’d lived on the island most of his life, and loved it here. He’d left for nine years, during which time he studied medicine and met, and later married, Fiona. After the birth of their first child, Sarah, Dave and Fiona decided to move in with his mother, Liz, on the island. A couple of years later Chloe came along, giving Liz a second grandchild. Dave and Fiona were happy on the island, with their comfortable jobs and two beautiful daughters.

“Aaron, he’s the same age as my mother, plus he’s a married man.”

“I suppose he’s not too bad. He’s well preserved, and he’s only ten years older than me I’d say.” Thirty-four year old Robert said.

Ashley couldn’t believe this. “He’s got two children.”

Robert continued. “He could give me a check up any time.”

“Yeah.” His boyfriend sighed.

“I don’t believe this.” Ashley said, amazed. “I know he’s only ten years older than you, but still.”

Both men laughed. “We’re only winding you up.” Robert said. “You weren’t taking us seriously weren’t you?”

Over at the Harris’s table, Fiona and Clare had now moved onto their daughter’s love lives.

“Thank goodness Ashley’s my only child.”

“Why do you say that?”

“She’s always picking the wrong men. Thankfully she’s single at the moment.” Clare sighed.

“Is this because of her and Andrew, or her and James?” Fiona asked, referring to two of Ashley’s previous boyfriends who Clare hadn’t been happy with at all.

“Both. They give me the creeps, James especially.”

“I can’t say I like James either, but Andrew seems okay.” Fiona answered, taking a sip of her drink. “I’ve got all this ahead of me. In fact I think Sarah’s already got a crush on someone.”

“Who is it?”

“I don’t know. She’s been very distant recently. Fifteen already…”

“Being distant could mean anything at that age though.”

“I suppose.” Fiona said, with a sigh. She turned to look at her husband. “Are you okay? Your very quiet.”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“All our female talk annoying you Dave?” Clare asked.

“No, it’s fine.” Dave answered. He noticed a familiar face walk through the door. “There’s Gordon. I’ll leave you two alone, to continue your female talk.”

Dave stood up, taking his glass with him, and headed in the direction of Gordon Currah. Gordon was the island’s only police officer, and he also owned a farm just outside the town. Sandra, Gordon’s wife, mainly ran the farm though with their son Rory. He was twenty one and engaged to the mysterious Lydia Jones. She lived with the Currah family in their farmhouse, and worked with Liz Harris, Dave’s mother, in the local post office and shop. Gordon and Sandra’s daughter, Elaize, was best friends with Dave’s daughter Sarah.

“Evening.” Dave said. His friend turned around and smiled.

“Dave, how are ye?”

“Can’t complain.”

Sandra Currah entered the pub, and looked around. She smiled as she spotted Clare and Fiona seated nearby and walked over towards them.

“Hi guys.” She greeted warmly, taking a seat beside Fiona.

“How’s the party going? Sarah behaving herself?” Fiona asked.

“Yeah, I’m just glad Rory and Lydia are supervising. I really don’t know how you can cope with children all the time Fiona, both in school and at home.”

“I’ve learned to cope.” Fiona said.

“Terrible what happened in Asia wasn’t it?” Clare said, changing the subject.

“Yeah, I’ve already donated money to the fund.”

“Same here. I think that there will be a collection here tonight as well.”

“Yeah, so have I.” Sandra added. “Anyway, we should cheer up. What happened was bad, but we’ll enjoy ourselves just for tonight. It is New Year’s after all.”

The Currah Farmhouse, 11.50pm

Rory Currah laughed, as his fiancé whispered in his ear. The dark haired twenty-one year old looked around the room to make sure the group of teenagers were behaving themselves. He and Lydia weren’t happy at spending New Year’s Eve here, but at least they were together. By this time next year, he and Lydia would be man and wife – or so he hoped.

“Ten minutes to go.” Rory shouted, to cheers. He turned to look at Lydia. She flashed a smile, and swept a strand of her blonde hair back.

“We better get the rest of the food out from the kitchen.” She said.

“I’ll go.” He said, pushing past Lydia and walking out of the room.

Lydia felt a cold hand on her back, and turned around. Elaize Currah, Rory’s sixteen year old sister, stood beaming.

“Hiya.” Elaize greeted.

“Hey, is everyone enjoying themselves?” Lydia asked her future sister in law.

“Yep, I think so anyway.”

“They better be. Rory and I did sacrifice our New Year for this.”

Elaize distractedly looked over Lydia’s shoulder, noticing a young, male friend carrying out her plan. He was struggling to steal the bottle of vodka from her parent’s cupboard, without being noticed by the rest of the teenagers. Elaize was planning to sneak outside with her friend and have some fun later on.

Lydia was slightly puzzled by the dazed look on Elaize’s face, and turned to look at what it was that she was distracted by. But before she could see Elaize pulled her into a hug.

“Lydia, you aren’t just Rory’s girlfriend to me. Your… your like a sister.”

“I’m glad. I feel the same about you too Elaize. Your just like my little sister.”

The boy signalled to Elaize he’d got what she wanted, so she decided it was time to make an exit. “See you later.”

She pulled away and quickly moved past Lydia. Lydia was totally puzzled by Elaize’s strange behaviour. She looked up and saw Sarah Harris walk out of the room, in the direction that Rory had went. She grinned to herself, knowing that Sarah had a slight crush on Rory. Lydia felt a hand slip into her and she was twirled around, surprised to find herself being pressed against a teenage boy.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Rory was almost ready with the food. He picked up to two plates of sausage rolls, and turned around, jumping as he spotted Sarah Harris, standing in the doorway.

“Sarah, you scared me.” Rory said.

“Did I? I’m so sorry Rory.” She said. “Do you need a hand?”

“Me? No I’m fine.” Rory said, moving back as Sarah, his younger sister’s best friend and five years his junior, moved closer. She reeked of alcohol, smelling worse than a brewery. He wondered who had given her the alcohol, as Sarah was usually a timid, shy girl.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.” Rory said, backed into a corner.

“Rory, you naughty boy.”

“What?” Rory shouted out.

Sarah sighed. “That’s so…”

“What?” Rory asked. He looked up to see what she was staring at – a bunch of mistletoe was unfortunately hanging from the ceiling. But before Rory could say or do anything, Sarah had already slid her arms around his waist and quickly pushed her lips up against his. He pulled away, and pushed past her, running out of the room with the sausage rolls in his hands.

Sarah exhaled heavily, before burping. She put her hand to her mouth, and turned around hearing cheers and shouts. The countdown had begun.

Ten… Nine… Eight… Seven… Six…

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Golden Anchor, midnight

Five… Four… Three… Two… One…

“Happy New Year” rang through the pub, loudly. Kisses and hugs were exchanged by all, before the pub erupted in a verse of “Auld Lang Sine”.

Clare McIntyre smiled, as Frank O’ Neill turned to her.

“Happy New Year, Clare.” He said, with a smile.

“Yeah, Happy New Year Frank.” She replied. They leaned in, and shared a quick kiss on the lips before moving closer and sharing a hug. Ashley, looking over Aaron’s shoulder, didn’t know how to react to her mother and Frank’s kiss.

Nearby Gordon and Sandra Currah stood. “I love you Sandra.”

“I love you too.” She said, happily. She felt safe, secure in his arms.

Fiona Harris was also holding on tightly to her husband, as they both looked around the pub at the many happy couples and happy people near them.

Frank, puling away from Clare, took her hand. “Come on everybody. Let’s go outside and see the fireworks.”

The cold night air hit most people as they stepped out of their local public house. It was a cool, yet dry night. A dark sky stood out. Fireworks from the other side of the island could be seen over the buildings opposite the pub, and everyone grouped tightly together to watch them. People laughed, close to the families and friends as they welcomed in the New Year – 2005.

The Harbour, 3.30pm

The boat pulled into the island’s small harbour. A few people were stood, waiting for the boat to arrive. Most were leaving the island, after returning for their Christmas holidays. The boat had a capacity for carrying some cars as well as foot passengers, and a blue 2002 Irish registered Toyota Corolla was the first out.

John and Pauline took their first proper look at the island. It was raining slightly, but it still looked beautiful. The quaint little cottages perched on small hills looking out towards the sea and the mainland… The winding roads and lanes leading over the hills…

“It looks beautiful.”

Pauline glanced into the back seat where Joshua lay sleeping, before turning to her husband. “It does, doesn’t it?”

They heard a beep from behind, and realised they were blocking up all the traffic emerging from the boat. John quickly moved the car out of the way. Pauline took out a map and started to direct her husband, up and over the hills. As they reached the top of one of the hills they were delighted to see a beautiful lake down in a valley.

“Keep going straight.” Pauline said, continuing with her instructions. “The town shouldn’t be too far away now, in fact we should see it after this next turn in the road I think.”

Frank O’ Neill sped along in his battered old car. He didn’t bother with a new one, it would only get destroyed travelling along these bad roads, which were very rarely saw tarmac or new cars for that matter. Frank was heading down towards the boat to pick up a few things he’d ordered for pub. He and the captain went back years.

John and Pauline rounded a turn in the road. John was shocked to see a battered old car, heading straight towards him. He swerved to miss it, and went off the road. He tried frantically to break, but drove straight into a tree.

Frank slammed on the brakes. He stopped his car, turned off the engine and stepped out. The blue Toyota was crashed into a tree. Inside the car Joshua was crying in the back seat. John had a gash on his forehead, as he lay slumped across the wheel and Pauline lay unconscious…

Day to Day continues this Tuesday, January 4th. Find out if the Osbourne family survive their terrible crash. Elsewhere a character gets a letter which may change their life forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh dear lord....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    lauralou wrote:
    oh dear lord....

*ahem* ditto
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Open to all critisism!:) It would really help us.

People were really up for this idea a few weeks ago, so what's changed? Please tell!
  • Options
    ITV FanITV Fan Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    possibly because soaps take up to 3 hours each evening, and especially with all the private life scandals [dev from corrie], and EE not being its best recently, people might not want another soap
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Euch, some people have too much time on their hands.

As a budding writer myself I must say its actually quite impressive and I've seen some really shit hot stuff from actual soaps on the course I'm doing. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we will only take a few minutes to read a day, plus did I mention the fact that you readers can get involved?

Really wish you'd said that at the time animal_lover! Would have been a really good point actually. Can't see the other seven people who've worked with me on the project over the last month agreeing with it though either. Thanks anyway, Happy New Year.

Any more comments? Please!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Euch, some people have too much time on their hands.

As a budding writer myself I must say its actually quite impressive and I've seen some really shit hot stuff from actual soaps on the course I'm doing. :cool:
    Thank you so much! I wrote that episode, and you've made my day. I'm not really confident at all in my writing, so that's really, really kind.

Thank you so much, and I hope you have a very, very happy New Year!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Can't be bothered with it.
  • Options
    dirtydandirtydan Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am interested in writing some... seeing as this whole thing was my idea in the first place!
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    wow, I'm quite aghast at the lack of positive comments here. YoungPassion has made a real effort here and the result is very good. We gave everyone an opportunity up until now for about at least a month to say whether or not they'd be interested in seeing it and we had much positive feedback. If you don't want to read it, don't, but from what we've heard in the past, many people actually do.

Well done youngpassion

PS why the hell is this in chatter!? It's entirely soap related!!!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i think its a great first effort by youngpassion. Especially since its a first attempt, and for a first attempt it is great writing. Im not saying that it needs to improve but over time, it will get better.

Well done youngpassion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the last few comments, which have been really positive. Really nice things to say about my writing!

Is there anyone who wants to write the episodes for this week, so as I can send the episode plan out to you?
  • Options
    morningmorning Posts: 17,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done youngpassion

PS why the hell is this in chatter!? It's entirely soap related!!!

I must agree with you here. I cannot see any connection between this and chatter at all.

I know, lets all chatter away about writing a soap. I don't think so. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a little stupid that it's here rather than in the soaps section! And all the threads were merged as well, really annoying so there will be less people from the soaps section coming over here - who we are aiming this at.

Thanks for the kind comments!

You're not interested in writing an episode this week are you "morning"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Writers for the week:

Tuesday - wallo mr. slug
    Wednesday - ???
    Thursday - ???
    Friday - youngpassion (me)

Can anyone volunteer for the two days in the middle - Wednesday and Thursday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a little stupid that it's here rather than in the soaps section! And all the threads were merged as well, really annoying so there will be less people from the soaps section coming over here - who we are aiming this at.

Thanks for the kind comments!

You're not interested in writing an episode this week are you "morning"?

Sorry YP, but no. It all seems too much like hard work so soon after Christmas and New Year - I'm shattered. But good luck with it, and I promise to read the above when I have more energy.

I know a budding writer who has just finished uni and would probably enjoy doing this, but she is on holiday for the next 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did actually volunteer earlier, so why have I not been PM'd?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I never noticed your post! I'm so sorry. I'm in my own little world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is really annoying that this has been moved to Chatter. When I thought of this project I was aiming for the posters on the Soaps Forum. I mean, it's not going to get much attention here, is it?
    I am going to ask if this thread and all threads associated with this project can be removed to the Soaps Forum. And then, if they allow that, then after a while I am going to ask Beth to make a poll of favourite soap, with 'Day to Day' on it to see if it can beat any of the televised soaps- this was my plan before anybody else even got involved, so I am not taking over.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I've already asked but they said they wouldn't go back on their decision :rolleyes: I can write Thurdsay's youngpassion and I'm sure when we attract people to the fanbase more people will be interested. We should stop asking on here, maybe that's what' annyoing them

Fan group: *admin edit* - no advertising, please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I did read the above late last night and immediately the following came to mind - a mix of The High Road, Monarch of the Glen, and a series which involved Michelle Collins with two kids on a remote Scottish Island (sorry, don't know the name).

I just hope that the wife doesnt die (or end up in a coma), leaving the hubby to the lonely barmaid or the engaged post mistress. Will the guy who is engaged to the postmistress end up with the barmaid or the young voda thief?

God, please move this thread to Soap.