Options

Women get away with murder!

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
Women get away with murder! :)

Following on from the scenario described here (sorry for hi-jacking your thread, Doc; thought I'd redeem myself a bit by continuing in a fresh one), I've just come back home. I'm a software developer to trade, and am currently in the process of looking for a new job. I was at a 2nd interview/test this morning (as explained in the referenced post), and found that I couldn't remember any more than the basics about the type of application they'd asked me to design (an ASP.net project, which I was to design over the course of four hours this morning; being more of a windows-based developer, I haven't designed one of those in just over two years now). After a couple of hours re-familiarising myself with the base concepts, I just knew that I wasn't going to be able to finish in the time given. I held my hands up to that, and went next door to talk to the guy who owns the company about the situation. Instead of thanking me for my time and showing me the door, as would perhaps have happened in years gone past, he instead made me a coffee and gave me a couple of chocolate hob-knobs. We had a bit of a chat in the 'kitchen' (a converted disabled toilet; definitely the low point of the building, and not at all indicative of how well-ordered the rest of the place is) as the coffee was being made. Pausing only briefly on his way out to inadvertently switch the hand drier on with his arse, he proceeded to give me a bit of a tour of their offices. It was at this juncture that I got a bit of an insight into why they might be prepared to overlook some shortcomings in my case: there wasn't a single woman. Anywhere. At all. They could definitely do with a feminine touch in that place. Anyway, I went back into the interview/test room, to wait for their head developer (a rather charming Russian gentleman whom I'd be working under – :) – if I were to get the job), to discuss how to proceed from here. It was at this juncture that I got bored and tuned into DS, and made the post I've referenced above. It didn't help much that when they came back in to the room, I was sitting grinning like an eejit at some comment or other in one of the threads; I was so surprised at their sudden return in the middle of my DS-repartee I nearly dropped my hob-knob. Lucky they weren't much longer, because otherwise I suspect my feet would have been up on the desk as well. This is where I get to my point about women getting away with murder; surely a performance like mine thus far would ensure any bloke a footwear-propelled exit from the building? Not me though, I just adopted my most innocent expression, which looks something like:
Love me :)

, and all was well. Anyway, they asked me how much time I'd need to read through my books again, and produce a solution to the problem they'd set. I told them I could have it ready for Monday, they asked if I was sure, because I could have more time if I needed it.

In short, they really couldn't have done any more for me. As well as the extra time, I had access to the internet and MSDN for the duration of the exercise, plus I had some of my own books with me (not the one I really needed, though!), and access to books owned by the company. Although it might seem like I'm taking the mick here a bit at their good nature, I did appreciate their understanding, and it was obvious that they still expect me to come up with the goods before I'd be offered a job there. I've had one test prior to this, in which I did pretty well (it being a windows-based application, and my having taken a unique approach to the problem which they seemed to like), so perhaps that helped too. Anyway, I suppose I'd better get hitting those books. :)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you'd been out driving with a shotgun!
  • Options
    cazkinscazkins Posts: 5,136
    Forum Member
    bob.bobsta wrote:
    I thought you'd been out driving with a shotgun!

Shooting at neds! :D:D:D
  • Options
    CHUTNEYCHUTNEY Posts: 16,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too, after your showdown with the local Ned on Sunday, who'd take you on, RP? ;)
  • Options
    dizzyblondedizzyblonde Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member
    WoW, R_P - you end up having interviews like me! Fair dos - I've never had one where I've posted on DS part way through, though!

I'm now going to ban you from posting until you get the damned thing done, though! Well - after you've had a bit of a breather. If I catch you burning the midnight oil on Sunday - it's serious spanking time :D

Hugs and all things crossed for you
    Dizzy xxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, R_P - you end up having interviews like me! Fair dos - I've never had one where I've posted on DS part way through, though!

I'm now going to ban you from posting until you get the damned thing done, though! Well - after you've had a bit of a breather. If I catch you burning the midnight oil on Sunday - it's serious spanking time :D

Hugs and all things crossed for you
    Dizzy xxxx
    Promise? ;):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RP you should maybe become a comedy writer.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tests: I dunno, I had one in my last position. I passed obviously. Still it starts of the job relationship of with distrust. This ultimately shows in the people. It is also a matter of arrogance in my opinion to do them. I think any good interviewer should reasonably be pretty able to tell fast if you are lying.

Anyway in the test I passed, I went to the toilet inbetween and got locked out of the building. LOL. Took me like 20 minutes of a 40 minutes test to get back.. Maybe they try to get the biggest idiots with these tests. ;)
  • Options
    BooHooBooHoo Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    People getting away with murder only ever happens on EastEnders.
  • Options
    dizzyblondedizzyblonde Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member
    Promise? ;):)
    :D:D:D:D
    I can see I'm going to have to be that little elemental sitting on your shoulder, whispering - work, work, work. Spanking can wait! ;)
    I expect updates, and no excuses!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote:
    RP you should maybe become a comedy writer.. :D
    You just made my day, Doc. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,268
    Forum Member
    You just made my day, Doc. ;)
    At least you know you've got a job at the the Komödieleitunghauptbüro waiting for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midspan wrote:
    At least you know you've got a job at the the Komödieleitunghauptbüro waiting for you.
    That's the Laffenpantenvettenkomödiewrittenbureau, to give it it's full title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midspan wrote:

Komödienleitungshauptbüro ... :)

You're having Compoundwordophobia again Midspan .... ? :rolleyes: ;)

Go home and play some Dudelsack .. :D