Options

Steve Rider leaves BBC

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
Forum Member
Read in Autosport Magazine that Steve Rider is leaving the BBC to present Formula 1 on ITV :(:(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was he asked to work with Kate Silverton? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funny.
    does that means jim moves on, and angus misses out.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently Jim will be concentrating on the boxing. Steve Rider's role will include some presenting during the football and rugby world cups, according to the Daily Mail.

Of course ITV doesn't do golf so there's no chance of him presenting that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Also says in Autosport that Jim will present Champions League and Boxing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    With any luck Rider will replace Allen, who, although is a nice guy, is not as experienced of F1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no such luck on that, James has such a unique style, especially the actual race start - they couldn't replace him :)
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenP wrote:
    With any luck Rider will replace Allen, who, although is a nice guy, is not as experienced of F1.
    I don't think Rider is a commentator as such - more of a presenter :)

He'll be missed, but do the BBC need to replace him? I guess John Inverdale will take over the Rugby, and someone suggested Lineker for the Golf.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angus is better at commentating motorsport, not ryder
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who will present the BBC golf if steve goes?
  • Options
    the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=283744
    And yes i know the names spelt wrong!
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I imagine they are grooming Gary Lineker based on his presentation of the highlight shows for the Open.

There are two other possibilities from left field....

1. Get Mark Nicholas from C4 albeit he's onto a good thing with Channel 9 in Australia, or...

2. Wheel out good old Doogie Donnolly.

There's some answers for consideration.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    If this is true, I hope it means that Claire (forgotten her surname, d'oh !) does the rugby league..
  • Options
    listerlister Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true, I hope it means that Claire (forgotten her surname, d'oh !) does the rugby league..

Balding is her surname.

I'm glad that Ryder has gone because I hate it when he presents the rugby league.

Claire is much better at it in that she actually knows about the sport and also does her research.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    ITV F1 seem to have dropped Mark Blundell from their F1 coverage. Good thing in my view, he was always a second rate rate pundit and driver.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Bring back David Icke
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I think Rider has become deadly dull. If he was to interview himself now you can almost predict what the questioning would be like:

"What was going through your mind as you were signing the new contract (facing that difficult chip on the 15th) and then when you were coming down the 18th fairway (clearing your desk)?"

Actually I think I'm being unkind - there's a variation:

"Tell us what was going through your mind............" and so on, ad infinitum.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine they are grooming Gary Lineker based on his presentation of the highlight shows for the Open.

Good call Faxy :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on Steve to leave as they (bbc) regard gary more superior and he wasn't happy about that.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Gary Lineker is to be the new face of the BBC's golf coverage. He has been chosen to replace Steve Rider, who is leaving to join ITV, and will front the corporation's broadcasts of the US Masters and the Open next year. An announcement is due to be made later this month.

source: Media Guardian 13 Oct 2005
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    source: Media Guardian 13 Oct 2005

thank you very much indeed.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    BenP wrote:

james allen has lots more f1 expeirence than you think he has, apart from working at ITV he used to work in the US/Canada as a pit lane reporter as well

i would say he has more f1 experience than Steve ryder...hands on experience rather than sitting in a studio
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    fi~ wrote:
    james allen has lots more f1 expeirence than you think he has, apart from working at ITV he used to work in the US/Canada as a pit lane reporter as well

i would say he has more f1 experience than Steve ryder...hands on experience rather than sitting in a studio

Experience of being a pit reporter though, not a commentator....

And it shows....

Still though, the commentary position is not one that's likely to change......sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Well Jim has just signed off the highlights show for the last time, and he's says its the end of the road for him. I can't believe Steve Rider is defecting, he just doesn't seem right for F1. Plus I thought he was the king of BBC Sport, obviously not anymore.
  • Options
    The NaitchThe Naitch Posts: 10,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard85 wrote:
    I can't believe Steve Rider is defecting, he just doesn't seem right for F1.

He presented the BBC coverage, so is more suited to it than you think.
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fi~ wrote:

James A was a great pit lane reporter but he is not a good commentator at all I'm afraid.