Options

A comment I heard tonight on TV (Kate Moss documentary)...

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I watched the Kate Moss documentary on TV tonight, out of curiosity more than anything.

I just commented on a thread elsewhere about it ...

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=5775726#post5775726

Now the last bit of this message has made me really cross.

(even though I wrote it, I am talking of a quote off TV:))

the bit that made me go 'arghhh' was when Sophie Anderton said that beautiful women, like her and Kate, have a hard time of it. And when some sleaze sells their story to a paper, to her it compares, in her mind, to being raped.

That is not a direct quote but pretty much what she said, in fact I may have toned it down. :rolleyes:

I thought that comment was very very crass. And I don't mind Sophie usually.

Okay , quite serious post by me for a change.

My point is, I have no personal experience of drug abuse, people selling my stories to the papers or indeed rape thankfully (sorry to be so serious but this comment disturbed me) and so I am only talking of how I feel about things. But does anyone else get mad when words are bandied around like that to cover another thing that is totally unrelated? Is selling a story to a newspaper the same as rape as Sophie says? I may have no personal experience of it but it makes me quite emotional. It seemed wierd to hear it just talked about like that, matter of factly.

And there are many other examples of words being used to cover things that are not actually what they really are. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I am sure some of you can.

I can't see that at all, yet of course have never been in a paper like Kate or Sophie.

However, as a woman, I think using a word like that is very strong and not very applicable imo.

I am probably not making sense, I have had a bit of a weird night before that.

But I just didn't like her comparing being talked about in a paper, to the trauma of rape.

Am I over reacting? :rolleyes: Apologies if I am, it just didn't seem right? And it is not the first time I have heard people joking about or trivialising this matter. :rolleyes:

And sorry to be all serious, not like me at all. Just been a serious night.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    No. I totally understand what you are saying and it makes me as mad as it does you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou Anna. I kind of wrote off the cuff there..but I am feeling a wee bit blah tonight!:) So I wasn't sure if it made sense! :rolleyes:

Love your user name btw. Welcome to the boards. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see the show, but Sophie Andertons comments sound very offensive to me :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say that it seems like a bit of luvvy overdramatisation, to me. I do think that the press can be complete wazzocks, but there is always the choice not to read what the papers to say. Last time I checked, rape wasn't something one chose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm with you boho, what a stupid comment. I'm understand what she means, but the word rape is far too strong. Tut tut Miss Dahl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't see the show, but Sophie Andertons comments sound very offensive to me :mad:

Well it was a pretty boring programme, but I was cooking the dinner at the time and half watching, and when that came on, I really recoiled at her comments.

After all she has been through (Sophie) I just thought that was a bit OTT. :rolleyes:

And as I said, it isn't just about that. There are many times that people over dramatise a situation, which is offensive to a person who has been in the situation they over dramatise it too.

Not just her comments, but many other.

For example, celebs having depression, checking into a clinic (the priory :rolleyes: ) for two days and being fully recovered a few days later and out on the town.

I do have personal experience from friends I know, of this illlness..and I know that if you are depressed, it takes alot longer than two days to recover. :rolleyes: It is a joke when some people say that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm with you boho, what a stupid comment. I'm understand what she means, but the word rape is far too strong. Tut tut Miss Dahl.

Sorry, I don't want to be done for libel!:D It was Sophie Anderton. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you as well.

It just goes to show how far detached some stars are from reality when they use such embarrassing analogies to describe how "hard done by" they are when one of them gets caught sniffing coke.

It's sick :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Boho I totally agree with you.

These celebs can say that they feel their privacy is intruded upon, but to feel 'raped'? It just shows how out of touch they are with real life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bohochick wrote:
    Sorry, I don't want to be done for libel!:D It was Sophie Anderton. :)

Oh right that makes more sense, she's more of an idiot. Sorry my mistake!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched Sophie Anderton being interviewed I was getting increaingly tetchy :mad: at her "me me me" attitude. Feel sorry for any young girls who look up to her as a role model. Poor things :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    Sophie Anderton is really thick though you have to remember and she's a chronic attention seeker. She's got all the tabloids on speed dial she's so desperate for the whole world to share in every mind numbing moment of her self induced trials and tragedies. The woman is a total clown.

Oh edited to add something I saw recently - in her column in Reveal she bitched about Liz Hurley being too old to show cleavage and on the same page printed a picture of herself completely naked for no apparent reason!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I actually liked Sophie on 'I'm a celeb' but she has gone way down in my esteem now.

Someone else has said elsewhere, that she looked a bit flustered after she made the remark. Maybe she realised it was wrong?

I certainly wouldn't 'cry wolf' as she does. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,590
    Forum Member
    Bohochick wrote:
    Am I over reacting? :rolleyes:

Nope, you're not. It's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, and it shows how bad 'celebrityism' (sorry for the lack of a better word) makes people and how detached from real life they become.

To come out with a comment like that is not only downright stupid, it could also cause a fair bit of offence as you mentioned Boho.
    Apologies if I am, it just didn't seem right? And it is not the first time I have heard people joking about or trivialising this matter. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and it's actually fairly worrying. It seems to be cropping up more and more..."when x happens to a celebrity, it's as bad as murder/rape/other inexcusable offence".

On a sort of related sidenote, I find it's the same when they complain about all the paparazzi crowding them and ruining their lives. This also annoys me a fair bit about these celebrities. They all complain about what dreadful people the photographers are, and say they should be locked up because of it, whilst failing to realise that it's these photographers (and the media in general) that are keeping them in the lifestyle they're used to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bohochick wrote:
    Well, I actually liked Sophie on 'I'm a celeb' but she has gone way down in my esteem now.

I bet she's gutted. ;)

Seriously though...you really must remember that these people are idiots. Regrettably they are in a position where they have free access to vent their airhead views and make stupid, off the cuff remarks without thinking through what they really mean.

When I say airhead....I'm not just talking about models...just all talentless prannies that find themselves in the media with something (clueless) to say.

My answer. Ignore it all. It doesn't matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie Anderton is beautiful but she's also very spoilt,self obsessed and over dramatic.Her statement is ridiculous but also typically her.I doubt Kate Moss would use those words.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    totaly i couldnt believe she would compare someone secretly filming someone to someone going through what a rape victim would go through.
    I don't think she thought about it before she said it and proberly regrets it now i would have thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    totaly i couldnt believe she would compare someone secretly filming someone to someone going through what a rape victim would go through.
    I don't think she thought about it before she said it and proberly regrets it now i would have thought.

I lost you on the second "someone"... ;)