Options

Panasonic DMR-ES10 Finalizing

Zaphod_BZaphod_B Posts: 800
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi Guys n Gals

Question.

When finalizing a disc, shouldn't I be able to play the finalised disc in an ordinary DVD player or PC DVD Drive?

I have recorded numerous discs so far (all DVD-R) and finalized them - however I cannot play them on my PC's DVD drive or on my Sony DVP-NS700 either. The Sony gives the message "cannot play disc". The PC drive just spins amd spins and spins...

Putting it into my Panasonic DMR-ES10 (or my mother's for that matter) - no problems. Index works, plays fine, etc, etc.

Am I doing something really stupid or am I missing a basic fact here?

Zaph :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Probably not your fault - it could be down to the make/quality of disk you're using. (See the "Panasonic DMRES10 - DVD-R compatibility" thread for similar stuff.)

My first go at finalising a DVD-R today (on a Sony disc) played fine on both my PC and on a cheapo Skyworth player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not your fault - it could be down to the make/quality of disk you're using. (See the "Panasonic DMRES10 - DVD-R compatibility" thread for similar stuff.)

My first go at finalising a DVD-R today (on a Sony disc) played fine on both my PC and on a cheapo Skyworth player.
    Ah!

I had some unbranded DVD-R's which I got with my NEC DVD Dual-Layer drive from Scan Computers. It writes tp these fine. Also bought a pack of 50 Philips DVD-R (4.7GB, 120 min, 1-8x speed) from Staples and it writes to those fine too.

Only thing I'm not too impressed with is the time it takes to 'read' the discs after closing the drawer (approaching 1 min) :eek:

Is it the discs I am using?

Can you recommend any (other than Panasonic - obviously)? It's a bit of a pain that I can't watch them on any other DVD player other than the DMR-ES10's!!

Zaph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I can only vouch for these Sony DVD-R discs (the box of 5 says 5DMR47A3) which I got at Woolies for £5.99. Otherwise, I've just been using Panasonic DVD-RAM discs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I can only vouch for these Sony DVD-R discs (the box of 5 says 5DMR47A3) which I got at Woolies for £5.99. Otherwise, I've just been using Panasonic DVD-RAM discs.
    Hmmm....

The pack of 50 Philips DVD-R (4.7GB, 120 min, 1-8x speed) from Staples were either £9.99, £11.99 or £14.99 (I can't remember which).

Even at £9.99 this would make my Philips discs 20p each (compared the Sony discs from Woollies at 120p each (6x the price) :eek:

At £14.99 the comparison is more favourable at 30p each ;)

Maybe try a pack and see . . .

Will report back and let you know.

How much do the Panasonic DVD-RAM discs work out at?

Also, can you edit out the advertising breaks after transferring stuff from (say) your Sky+ box with DVD-RAM?

Zaph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, you'd hope a name like Philips should be ok. I bought the Sonys because, for my first attempt at a DVD-R, I wanted to be (reasonably) sure it wasn't the disc's fault if it didn't work.

The Panasonic DVD-RAM discs came with the machine (Xmas present), but they seem to go for about £2 each at Dixons, in packs of either 5 or 10.

Haven't tried editing out any ad breaks yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    . . .Even at £9.99 this would make my Philips discs 20p each (compared the Sony discs from Woollies at 120p each (6x the price) :eek:

At £14.99 the comparison is more favourable at 30p each ;)

Maybe try a pack and see . . .

Will report back and let you know. . .

Zaph
    Have tracked down some Sony DVD-R's in 25's for 41p each, so will give them a try. Also, will email Panasonic to see what they have to say about finalizing (probably say to use Panasonic discs!)

Zaph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    TDK DVD-R discs finalised in my DMR-ES10 play on my computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    npmcl wrote:
    TDK DVD-R discs finalised in my DMR-ES10 play on my computer.
    Thanks for that npmcl.

Can't figure out at the mo whether it is the recoder or the discs. Tending towards the discs at the moment. Since I have two identical recodrers (well, OK, my Mum has one and I have one) and both record fine but the finalised discs won't play on my laptop or on my Sony DVP-NS700 from either recorder - that's what makes me think it is the discs.

Have emailed Panasonic CS with query - will post the answer
    here later.

Zaph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two DMRE10 players, and I think the manual warns that finalized discs may not play in some other brands, and there's no way to know which ones--it's trial and error. My brother has an Emerson, and finalized discs from my players will play in it. I love my recorders, but this is one instance where the vcr is superior.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunnysue wrote:
    I have two DMRE10 players, and I think the manual warns that finalized discs may not play in some other brands, and there's no way to know which ones--it's trial and error. My brother has an Emerson, and finalized discs from my players will play in it. I love my recorders, but this is one instance where the vcr is superior.
    Have emailed customer services at Panasonic about this. Not heard yet. Also trying Sony.

Will report back when I've received a reply.

Zaph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    When you finalise DVD -RW on the ES10 to allow them to be played on another machine can they be reused? If they cannot then it seems to defeat the purpose of read write.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    You have to format the disc and then it can be used again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    You have to format the disc and then it can be used again.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    Have emailed customer services at Panasonic about this. Not heard yet. Also trying Sony.

Will report back when I've received a reply.

Zaph

Well . . .

Still no reply from Panasonic CS. So much for 24hr return reply!

Will try again.

Zaph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    Hi Guys n Gals

Question.

When finalizing a disc, shouldn't I be able to play the finalised disc in an ordinary DVD player or PC DVD Drive?

Am I doing something really stupid or am I missing a basic fact here?

Zaph :confused:
    I'm afraid you'll find yourself between a rock and a hard place here. In principle, yes, they should play in other DVD players and PCs. In practice, there's so much variation in technologies between DVD players, recorders and PC drives that it's a matter of pot luck. As another poster has said, this is where VCRs score. :(

Some drive manufacturers (e.g. Plextor) post lists of which discs work well in their drives. If you're lucky you may find a make in common. If not, it's trial and error: you'll probably have more luck with name brand discs (e.g. TDK, Maxell, Verbatim, etc etc) but it's not guaranteed. Unfortunately, since both Sony and Panasonic market own-brand discs, they are probably just going to tell you to use those.......

When you find a brand that works, buy yourself a stock, and stick with it!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    Hmmm....

Also, can you edit out the advertising breaks after transferring stuff from (say) your Sky+ box with DVD-RAM?

Zaph
    Yes. Don't think you can do that with any other type of disc in the Pannie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I recorded on some Panasonic DVD-R which play back ok on the DMRES10, but have a stutter every 40s on another player, and arent even recognised on my pc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone help with this one? I'm very happy with the DMR-ES10 which I picked up before Xmas, but I'm having problems getting any recorded stuff over to my PC for editing.

I'm using WinDVD creator for editing ads etc out of Vob files, but for some reason there are audio sync issues. It's hard to explain, but say for example I've recorded a 20 minute episode of 'Lazytown' :D and preview it in WinDVD creator, it plays all the way through except that the audio goes out of sync. If I then save the file as an MPEG or AVI, the audio re-sync's but the file cuts off before the end of the episode!

I've noticed that smart ripper seems to think that vobs recorded by the Panasonic are in NSTC format for some reason.

Anyway, maybe someone has had a similar problem and can help out... I've had an easier time of it 'backing up' copyrighted DVD's than this! Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, 20 days after posting an email query about this to Panasonic - A REPLY :eek:

Fisrstly, my email to them:
    wrote:
    ISSUE DESCRIPTION: EMAIL REQUEST: Subject - FINALIZING ON DMR-ES10.

Dear Panasonic CS

I hope that you are able to help with a little problem I am experiencing.

I have two Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVDrecorders, both only about 2 months old.

When recoding onto DVD-R discs (I haven't tried any other discs at the moment), I don't have any problems. However, when I go into "Disc Management" to finalize the discs, the discs appear to have finalised properly, but the discs will not play oneither of my two Sony DVP-NS700 DVD players.

Both SONY DVD players report that the"Disc is Dirty" - error C:10, yet the discs play normally in the DMR-ES10 and on my PC.

Other DVD-R discs that have been recorded on a PC's DVD drive and finalized play correctly.

Can you shed any light on this please?

Regards
    And their reply
    wrote:
    ISSUE RESOLUTION: Dear Mr Beeblebrox ;)

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the uncharacteristic delay in our response. Due to an unexpected increase in the number of contacts we have recently received, we have been unable to provide as speedy a response as we would normally.

In response, I would explain that We recommend that you use discs made by the following manufacturers:
    Panasonic
    Maxell
    JVC
    TDK

Please ensure that discs are free from fingerprints and dirt as this can cause malfunction.

We have been informed by our technical support team that you will be able to use disks up to 8x as long as they display the following:
    DVD
    (Disk Logo)
    R
    R 4.7

You will need to ensure that they are disks specifically manufactured for use with domestic DVD players and recorders, and are not stated to be for 'Data or General Use', as these are PC disks and are not compatible with the unit. (my emphasis)

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 08705 357357 or email us using the following email address:

customer.care@panasonic.co.uk
    Hope that you find this info useful, especially the bit about the 'Data or General Use' discs being PC disks and "are not compatible with the unit."

Zaph
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    Well, 20 days after posting an email query about this to Panasonic - A REPLY :eek:

Fisrstly, my email to them:

And their replyHope that you find this info useful, especially the bit about the 'Data or General Use' discs being PC disks and "are not compatible with the unit."

Zaph
    That's interesting - definitely something to watch out for!
    Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I think that's the standard patter for all manufacturers - use video discs not data ones. It'll be some agreement with the big disc manufacturers to get people to pay the extra for video discs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I returned my DMRES10 to the Panasonic shop I got it from. Their tests indicate 'no fault found'.
    They also tried the discs in their other shop which sells a few brands and found no problems with new dvd players that support dvd-r.
    So I'm wondering whether my 40s stutter is due to the basic differences in design between dvd-rom and dvd-r in that older players may not be fully compatibile.
    Looking back my PC dvd player was released in 1998, and my dvd player probably in 2002 (though may be based on an older board design?).

I've got a few discs to do for my kids playgroup so I'll see if there are any whinges about poor playback, and how old their players are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sorted out my problem...

I got hold of a new LG dvd re-writer which reads DVD-Ram (for £35) and a copy of TMPGENC. Happy as a pig in shit :cool: :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sorted out my problem...

I got hold of a new LG dvd re-writer which reads DVD-Ram (for £35) and a copy of TMPGENC. Happy as a pig in shit :cool: :)
    What is TMPGENC and what does it do (oh, and where do you get it from?)

Zaph
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphod_B wrote:
    What is TMPGENC and what does it do (oh, and where do you get it from?)

Zaph

Tmpgenc

It reads the MPEG's recorded on DVD-RAM's etc and transfers them over to my PC so I can edit them. I couldn't do this by just copying the files over because my editing software was saying the files were not PAL, were only 20 mins long when in fact they were an hour, and the audio would run out of synch with the video etc.

I've only got the demo, but think I'll buy it because it's quite a handy piece of software :)