Options

32" HD crt for £350

perhaps this will help stop people wasting many more hundreds of £'s on a less capable lcd/plasma screen.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

p.s.
i hope this is not old news.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Anti Beeb wrote:
    perhaps this will help stop people wasting many more hundreds of £'s on a less capable lcd/plasma screen.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

p.s.
    i hope this is not old news.
    Not only old news but the set will be like the last one. Awful.
    The geometry problems will get you in the end.....
    Oh and by the way...The LCD was not a waste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Do you know that for sure? Have you seen the new model (were you at CES)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NO. However, it will be a first if it has no geometry problems. I had the last model and it was truly awful. Even if they fixed 90% of the problem it will still be bad...I'll wait for the buyers to start complaining....
  • Options
    evanscevansc Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore Call100, he is a big LCD fan boy. I have a Panasonic 32in Widescreen CRT and the geometry on my TV is fine. At least I do not have all of the horrible artifacts that LCD's suffer from. I will wait until I see a review of the Samsung HD CRT and if it gets good reviews I would consider buying one. £350 sounds a very good price, much cheaper than the over priced LCD tosh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just out of curiousity, is your Panasonic a 100 Hz or plain (50 Hz) one?

I too have a Sony 32in Widescreen (50 Hz) CRT, and the geometry on it is perfect. ;)
  • Options
    evanscevansc Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    50Hz mate. I do not like the artifacts associated with 100hz processing. This new Samsung 32in CRT HDTV is apparently 100hz, this is one thing that would put me off.

100hz, HDTV, all for £350, sounds too good to be true in one respect. As I said, I will wait until I see a review of it before I consider buying it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Same here, will wait until it gets a review or until I've seen it up close.
  • Options
    gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I am not very tech-minded, so what is the geometry "problem" referred to above? My CRT 32"WS looks ok to me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    same here

i have a 32" ws grundig

380 quid 5 yrs ago

yes cheap as chips but it does me fine and it still works

i dont see the point of spending a load for the sake of it and cos of the brand name

if the picture quality is HD and the reviews are favourable then i see no reason why not

if one fails then get another for less than how much the lcd will cost
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xboxcraig wrote:
    I am not very tech-minded, so what is the geometry "problem" referred to above? My CRT 32"WS looks ok to me

The problem with CRT screens is that they can have "geometry" issues.... these are actually a whole host of problems wrapped up in a single name but basically mean that you do not get a perfectly shaped retangular screen... if you have a monitor it will have all sorts of settings to correct geometry issues like pinching (where the sides of the screen are slightly curved) or tilting (where the sides slant in) etc.

The issue with CRTs is that you have to use magnets to "bend" light to hit the right spot on the screen. The deeper the screen the less angle you have to bend the light and so the easier it is to do. The issue with these slim line TVs is they have to have much more powerful magnets to increase the "bend" which makes problems more likely. You will note that if you look at the depth of a 17" computer monitor against a 17" TV it is much deeper which is why they were able to achieve better picture/ resolutions. This is also a significant reason why CRTs only went to 36" because above this it "had" to be slim line for it to reasonably fit in a room and so had the inherent geometry problems.

If you are happy with your screen then thats all that matters :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evansc wrote:
    Ignore Call100, he is a big LCD fan boy. I have a Panasonic 32in Widescreen CRT and the geometry on my TV is fine. At least I do not have all of the horrible artifacts that LCD's suffer from. I will wait until I see a review of the Samsung HD CRT and if it gets good reviews I would consider buying one. £350 sounds a very good price, much cheaper than the over priced LCD tosh.
    It's not a case of just being an LCD fan. Unlike yourself I have at least experienced a Samsung slim CRT.
    I think it's fair that I relay that experience. It at least makes people aware of what to look for..
    Not all LCD's suffer from artifacts. Catch up, the latest generation LCD's are much better than the original offerings. So, you are spouting quite a lot of Tosh yourself.
    I'm glad you are happy with your Panny. At the end of the day thats what it's all about Happiness. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know whether the samsung 32'' crt has a built in hd decoder. For the price of £350 you would expect it not to have one.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Theres no such thing as integrated HD decoders in any TVs over here.

It will be a good few years before they make an appearence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    why do you need a hd decoder?

if i plug sky HD in do i need this device too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So if the beeb are tranmitting the world cup and wimbledon in Hd, all I need is the samsung crt which is Hd ready? I don't need any additional boxes or other devices?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need a Sky HD box or an FTA HD box. Then you're all set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And how much does a fta hd box cost?
  • Options
    slacker17slacker17 Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can this be used as a pc monitor as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I and thought you only need the tv to view hd transmissions. So I have to fork out more money after paying £350 for the samsung crt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eddman wrote:
    And how much does a fta hd box cost?

See this post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not sure how the HD transmission will work other than on freeview or sky but even then sky hd only works with sky hd not normal sky.

is it worth forking out the extra money just to see england get knocked out again :)

the tv is worth the money and when sky hd price comes down so will that but until then....

your hd tv aint gonna do much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slacker17 wrote:
    Can this be used as a pc monitor as well?

I did a brief web search but I couldn't find any detailed specs on this new model.

Samsung won't tell what the actual resolution is (we only know that it can do 1080 lines – interlaced).

PC monitors are progressive scan, so unless this HD CRT does 720p scan as well as 1080i, I doubt whether it would make good use as a monitor anyhow (hooked up at 1280 x 720 res @ 50 Hz via component).

schmoo wrote:
    is it worth forking out the extra money just to see england get knocked out again :)
    Yes.

eddman wrote:
    Thanks for the link.
    You're welcome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/ws32z308paxxeu.asp?page=Specifications

is this the same or similar one? 32z30? Altho it has a different ending to the model number

It states PAL : 1080i(HD) / 576P(SD)/ 480P(SD)/ 576i(Analog)/ 480i(Analog)