Options

Box resetting - any updates lately?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
Forum Member
Got up this morning to find the box had reset to 998. I surmised it was a software update, but sadly it appears it might be the death of my box instead - it's shutting itself down and resetting every ten minutes or so.

It's a 2nd gen Amstrad, on software 1.31A0K and 4.01a. Is that the same software that we've been on for a while?

Any ideas of anything to try before I call customer services? :cry:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    You're not the only one.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=8404666#post8404666

so far you're the fourth confirmed victim!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Mine seems to have sorted itself.
    It's been OK for the last 40 minutes or so (touches wood).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh good. Well... not good - bad, because it's not working. But good that it might not be the hardware failing. I think. :(
  • Options
    Caveman643Caveman643 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem. Last night's recordings I have set around 2am failed. The box was in standy this morning. It turned on OK but turned off again after 10 minutes or so. I unplugged it for a few minutes and it's been OK for half an hour now.

Time to go to work now so lets see if it's still OK when I get back this afternoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've had to come to work so I can't do anything further until tonight. Would be very pleased to hear of anyone's experiences and solutions regarding this one during the course of the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Same problem this morning with my Amstrad. No problems last night or before.

Box was in standby this morning but wouldn't respond to the remote, so I switched it off at the mains.

It did then come on, but no TV showing. Then after a few minutes went back into standby again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I woke up this morning to channel 998 and sure enough my Sky+ Box is crashing every 15/20 Mins... :mad:

Not sure which generation my box is? But the system details are as follows:
    Manufacturer - Amstrad
    Model - A20AK04
    Version Number - 4F2001
    Operating System Version - 1.31A0K
    EPG Software Version - sky+4.01a

I tried switching it off for 5 mins and it still crashed 20 mins after that reboot.

Initially I thought it was a sinister Sky ploy as my box is just out of warranty... but I guess it is their usual incompetence...

Martin
  • Options
    matseymatsey Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Same here. Box was in standby when I got up this morning, tried to watch something off my Sky+ and it reset itself three times in the space of an hour and a half.

Just got off the phone to Sky technical support. Woman I spoke to said they've had quite a few calls about the same thing this morning, and she admitted there does seem to be a central issue, which sky are looking into "urgently". So looks like we're not the only ones - I just hope it's sorted soon, if I miss Lost tonight because of this I shall not be a happy :mad: .
  • Options
    matseymatsey Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    PS: My system details:

Amstrad
    Model: A20AK04
    Version: 4F2002
    Operating System Version: 1.31A0K
    EPG Software Version: sky+4.01a

Does anyone know if there's been a software update? The sky technical support person didn't know.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a thread elsewhere on the board about a version 4.02d of the software going out to 'other makes' of box. I wonder if there's been some sort of update balls-up rolling this version out to Amstrad PVR2 boxes?

Edit:
    This is the thread...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    up in scotland i had same problem. though my box seems ok. i am forcing a software update just to see what happens. the box seems ok though. a bit slow to change channels. funny thing though before i upgraded to sky+ box was fast changing channels now a 2 second delay. still not to worry

the software is exaxt same as 2 weeks ago when i last checked to see what was on it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Glad to see Sky have screwed up royally again... I knew I could rely on this forum for the truth! Two recordings failed last night due to a 'clash' although they were set at the same time as usual so shouldn't clash.

Box took much longer than usual to boot up this morning and then turned itself off again (to restart to 998). I left it on again this morning in order to attempt to record the repeat of the Carolina v Buffalo NHL game that I was *supposed* to record live last night...

Does anyone know if pulling the phone line out from the wall overnight prevents glitches such as these which disrupt recordings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Manufacturer - Amstrad
    Model - A20AK04
    Version Number - 4F2000
    Operating System Version - 1.31A0K
    EPG Software Version - sky+4.01a

this was my upgrade. now after i forced upgrade its
    Manufacturer - Amstrad
    Model - A20A102
    Version Number - 4F2000
    Operating System Version - 1.31A0I
    EPG Software Version - sky+4.00o

so iswitched it off and it wont come back on. i have turned it off at wall and see if it resets itself. anyone with an amstrad got this version of software?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes i have blown it up and wont come out off standby. great. fantastic. i am going to shoot it.

why do you think its going into standby, could be the 1.31aok tells the box to go onto stanby to save power and people were complaining about the 160 being noisy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was on standby when I woke up this morning - but no upgrade has happened.

I got it installed on Saturday, It's a Thompson Model no 125 127, and is still on the 4.00o software that it was installed with.

It has not turned itself off at all though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    My box appears to work fine now. Just left it off for about 30 minutes.

Maybe SKY did something to fix it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My box started constant resetting at about 11:30pm last night. When I got up this morning it was in standby, turning on it was on 998.

I did a planner rebuild and so far it has been running ok (2 hours).

Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i got it back up and running. doing one more forced software update. i think it should be 4.01a. for amstrad. still i was under the impression if you did forced softwar update it would give the most uptodate version. maybe thats not the case and signals periodically give updates quicker. the forced update might just get your box going until any nightlu updates. any views?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    i got it back up and running. doing one more forced software update. i think it should be 4.01a. for amstrad. still i was under the impression if you did forced softwar update it would give the most uptodate version. maybe thats not the case and signals periodically give updates quicker. the forced update might just get your box going until any nightlu updates. any views?

How do you do a software update? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woke up to find my Amstrad in standby. I've tried the "unplug, wait 30 secs" thing, but it still won't come back - the furthest I've got is a blue screen on my tv. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    to do a software update switch off power to box.

then hold back up button on front of box only

plug in power cable and watch tv

it will say software update after 30 secs

leave alone until it switches back on itself-ages but it does come back on

but the software i now got might not be for up to date amstrad, could be to get your box going then you get nightly update waiting for someone to confirm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Woke up to find my Amstrad in standby. I've tried the "unplug, wait 30 secs" thing, but it still won't come back - the furthest I've got is a blue screen on my tv. :(

Me too the same thing :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    if you have blue screen then i would do a forced update. mine is working even it could be slightly older software

they will upgrade soon but at least your sky+ working
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else been on to customer services? Any new info?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    My Amstrad Sky + worked fine up to this morning but when I switched it on it said 'Sarching for Listings' Nothing then happened until it changed to No signal - this was nonsence as the meter showed a normal signal. I had to uplug it twice before it returned to normal.

My mother-in law, who is stying with us, rang me alittle while ago to say that when she switched the tv on it said 'No signal' again.

What have they done this time. My previous Sky + Pace box died in similar circumstances some time ago - dodgy software upgrade??

I am having a HD box installed next week (possibly) and are due to install the old box in the bedroom. I will ask for a replecement if necessary.