Options

FTN Jay Leno Confirmation

paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi there,

Thanks for your e-mail. I am sorry to tell you that The Tonight Show with Jay Leno has been removed from the FTN schedules. This is due to a dramatic slump in ratings over the last few months in its 10pm slot back in July and now in the later slot of 12.50am. We have enjoyed airing the show over the last few years and hope you will continue to enjoy FTN without the show in our line-up. I will make sure your comments are passed on to our channel editors.

Best Wishes,
FTN

:(

Surely it had better ratings that some of the other crap they show?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe if they didnt keep moving it around then people would have kept watching it. Moving it to the middle of the night and then saying it is getting low ratings in stupid. I'm sure if ITV1 moved Coronation Street to 1am in the morning ratings would go down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisdafur wrote:
    Maybe if they didnt keep moving it around then people would have kept watching it. Moving it to the middle of the night and then saying it is getting low ratings in stupid. I'm sure if ITV1 moved Coronation Street to 1am in the morning ratings would go down!

Yeah. LOL. They should have it at 11.30 or midnight, as ITV2 should do with David Letterman. I love those two shows, and now I am left without Jay Leno, but I think CNBC Europe on Cable show some episodes of Jay Leno (like, on e a week on the weekends).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    >Surely it had better ratings that some of the other crap >they show?

It probably cost more, too, though.
    It was literally the only thing I watched on FTN, and usually I watched around 4 times a week.
    Now I don't put FTN on at all.

Dave
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect it was the cost too.

You can see 3 shows a week on CNBC and you can catch Late Night with Conan O' Brien there too. Weekends from 8pm.

(Shouldn't this be in Channels and Pragramming??)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Like was said, if only they could make their minds up when to show it, instead of continually moving it, it'd have done better. I also don't watch anything else on that excuse of a channel, Leno was the only thing they had!
    Hope they bring it back, or another channel buys the rights (BBC3, to compete with Letterman?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    dcarr wrote:
    It probably cost more, too, though.
    It was literally the only thing I watched on FTN, and usually I watched around 4 times a week.
    Now I don't put FTN on at all.

Dave

Yes, same here. I used to watch Leno quite often and now I might as well not have FTN at all. Nothing else on the channel interests me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I whole heartedly agree - Leno was the only thing worth watching on FTN.

What else do we have on there - those blokes trying to do a version of Jackass - no thanks - they are getting paid for acting like jerks (and probably signing on too!).

Oh I forgot we have the televisual treat that is Most Haunted! :eek:

FTN will be removed from my favourites on my set-top box and will join JazzFM & Kiss as part of "the never to be even flicked to by mistake" club!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your e-mail. I am sorry to tell you that The Tonight Show with Jay Leno has been removed from the FTN schedules. This is due to a dramatic slump in ratings over the last few months in its 10pm slot back in July and now in the later slot of 12.50am. We have enjoyed airing the show over the last few years and hope you will continue to enjoy FTN without the show in our line-up. I will make sure your comments are passed on to our channel editors.
    "Over the last few years"? FTN is less than 2 years old!
  • Options
    brooksieladbrooksielad Posts: 75
    Forum Member

Could you tell me/us who you contacted and how?

I would like to express my feelings about its absence as well - perhaps if we (those who enjoyed Leno on FTN) all send our thoughts it might be put back on the "agenda" at the next FTN channel programming meeting.
  • Options
    comedycomacomedycoma Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    No UK network has ever managed to make a true success out of showing the "big" US chat shows. They're just not popular enough with UK viewers (a fact borne out by the viewing figures - they all start off in good slots, get too few figures and then get bumped off elsewhere, before being bumped off altogether.)

Fact is, Ftn save money by not buying a show nobody watches, which means they could import other programming which may prove more successful.

It happened with Letterman on Sky One, Paramount and ITV2. Even BBC One couldn't make a success of Letterman when he did some shows from the UK, so what chance does Ftn stand with Leno (arguably the same style of show.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedycoma wrote:
    No UK network has ever managed to make a true success out of showing the "big" US chat shows. They're just not popular enough with UK viewers (a fact borne out by the viewing figures - they all start off in good slots, get too few figures and then get bumped off elsewhere, before being bumped off altogether.)

Fact is, Ftn save money by not buying a show nobody watches, which means they could import other programming which may prove more successful.

It happened with Letterman on Sky One, Paramount and ITV2. Even BBC One couldn't make a success of Letterman when he did some shows from the UK, so what chance does Ftn stand with Leno (arguably the same style of show.)

But have you seen the Ftn viewing figures. They are LOW. And Leno was doing well on their channel, becasue lets face it its not that hard to get more viewers than most of the current programmes on Ftn.
    I still believe that Leno was too expensive for the channel, and although doing better than most of their current programmes (which cost them nothing to air because Flextech made them for their other channels) it would have needed to have pulled in something like 200,000 viewers each night - which on Ftn is not going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phdutton wrote:
    Hope they bring it back, or another channel buys the rights (BBC3, to compete with Letterman?)

Nice idea, but BBC3 have a stict limit on the amount of US content it can broadcast. Almost 5 hours a week, every week of Leno would use it all up just about.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FTN will be removed from my Channel line up on my imaginary service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Is there anything we can do to get FTN to show it again?
    Online petition? Email?

Any ideas?

gaffer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could you tell me/us who you contacted and how?

I would like to express my feelings about its absence as well - perhaps if we (those who enjoyed Leno on FTN) all send our thoughts it might be put back on the "agenda" at the next FTN channel programming meeting.

Sorry for the lateness of my reply.

I emailed enquiries@ftn.tv
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    When Letterman did his shows from London which was just for one week they were aired on BBC2 not BBC1 and I'm sure that there was some interest in these, Leno is still available for 3 shows a week although one of those is cut down to half an hour on MSNBC, it's probably shown in other European countries (anybody) so with a different dish you could perhaps see it again on a daily basis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try emailing the source (NBC in America) directly. I have already written out all of the text below. Click Here To Email Jay Leno Directly.

Dear NBC, do you have plans to bring the Tonight Show back to England 5 nights a week, as the current channel (Ftn) on cable has currently decided to remove it from its schedules and not buy anymore rights to it. And you can only see about 3 shows a week on CNBC Europe on cable in England. Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    brooksieladbrooksielad Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Ok, thanks for the contact points.

I have emailed both FTN and NBC. Its worth doing as if nobody says anything then you can't expect them to review/consider it.

Those who miss the show can only hope that it returns to freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Letterman did his shows from London which was just for one week they were aired on BBC2 not BBC1 and I'm sure that there was some interest in these, Leno is still available for 3 shows a week although one of those is cut down to half an hour on MSNBC, it's probably shown in other European countries (anybody) so with a different dish you could perhaps see it again on a daily basis

When did he used to be on the BBC? When his old show was on?

brooksielad - no problem. Hopefully someone will listen to us. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    apparentally the old NBC shows used to be on BBC2, the only editions of the current CBS shows to be on BBC were the 5 that he taped in the UK a number of years ago
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,160
    Forum Member
    I'm another person who used to watch Leno on FTN, but never tune in to watch anything else on the channel. In Metro today they had a few pictures of the show broadcast last night in the US which featured all British stars (Jude Law, Ricky Gervaise etc) - would have loved to have watched that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope CNBC show it this weekend!!!

Maybe we could get one of these online petitions and post the link to FTN/NBC...

can anyone start one?

gaffer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its CNBC, not MSNBC. There are some channels around Europe that air Leno daily, but i dont know them off hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the Jude Law and Ricky Gervais show was not Leno but Tuesdays Letterman which WAS broadcast here last night on ITV2, I have it on tape to watch this evening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was also a British guest on Leno that night. Can't remember who it was though.