Options

Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 2) Spoilers Included

GoosebeeGoosebee Posts: 5,295
Forum Member
edited 31/07/23 - 22:27 in Soaps #1
So with 1000 pages and five years under our belt in the original thread, it's time to welcome Hollyoaks General Discussion Part 2.

This is the new thread for all things Hollyoaks, but with less people posting than ever, let's mix it up with character discussion, talk of yesteryear, daily analysis of current episodes, spoilers, fanfiction, games, and cast changes. Anything really to keep the thread relevant and engaging for those of us still enjoying the show.

Lets make this a one stop Hollyoaks shop for all things Oaks related... suggestions also welcome.

So first up, are we due anymore cast changes, recasts, departures exits or arrivals... and just where has Misbah gone?

Let discussion commence... 😉

Comments

• Options
    Shinealight12Shinealight12 Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome, new thread.
  • Options
    JArsea123JArsea123 Posts: 9,524
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone ☺️
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry @ScottishWoody I made this second thread before I saw your post.
    My personal opinion is that its better to keep things in one place as when we had daily or current episode threads they generated little interest. Plus as the show airs at different times it gets a little complicated. I like the idea of keeping it together, but I am just one person so if others disagree we can of course do something different :smile:

@R2Y5A0N2, thanks for the spoilers - I haven't seen that site before. Bit of a mixed bag week for me, some mentions of Sienna, Ethan and Rafe which I am really enjoying, I'm also surprisingly enjoying the teen storylines with Charlie, Shing Ling and Dillon at the minute. Not a big fan of Ella but let's see how it lands.

I cannot find myself enthused by the Felix fight storyline at all...I always dislike fight club stories in a soap and I don't feel that Richard Blackwood has the screen presence or charisma to make me interested. Although we have had this conversation many times they have some many characters who could be further explored but the same key players are always pushed front and centre and Mercedes, Warren, Maxine and Felix just do not excite me personally- although granted all can be good with the right material.

As I have said time and time again the show really needs to invest in natural friendships and character interaction so people do not exist in silo. When for example was the last time Sienna or Ethan were seen, not just to advance the Rafe plot. Block storytelling seems to be hitting the show hard lately, more so than ever. Why not have Norma seen in the background for example, let us see her general day to day interactions, it would keep @orangeowl happy, provide a better sense of real life and make us care more when the bigger events happen. I also think it would embed a more ensemble and solid cast, Damon for example became pretty tired as soon as Brody left, but the reality is there was plenty of stories left to mine and a decent enough actor to do so.

Family dynamics also need exploring. Sam, Ethan and Dave springs to mind immediately but so do Warren and Norma, Ste and Leela - rather than just seeing events that have happened let us build a window into the characters lives- make us care again and make the show make sense - and don't even get me started on the number relationships that develop and exist solely off screen.

I stand by my thoughts that the show has some really strong actors and a good cast when utilised well, and although there are definitely some weaker links or people who logically need to move on, the far bigger problem is currently with the Stewardship and production of the show in my opinion....
  • Options
    orangeowlorangeowl Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wooohooo! Second thread! Thank you @Goosebee! B) Personally I agree with you about keeping everything in one place. It's much easier to find everything in one big thread IMO than checking lots of little ones.

Woah, that photo of Norma and Felix is very interesting - thanks for posting @R2Y5A0N2! Hugely looking forward to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goosebee wrote: »
    As I have said time and time again the show really needs to invest in natural friendships and character interaction so people do not exist in silo. When for example was the last time Sienna or Ethan were seen, not just to advance the Rafe plot. Block storytelling seems to be hitting the show hard lately, more so than ever. Why not have Norma seen in the background for example, let us see her general day to day interactions, it would keep @orangeowl happy, provide a better sense of real life and make us care more when the bigger events happen. I also think it would embed a more ensemble and solid cast, Damon for example became pretty tired as soon as Brody left, but the reality is there was plenty of stories left to mine and a decent enough actor to do so.

Family dynamics also need exploring. Sam, Ethan and Dave springs to mind immediately but so do Warren and Norma, Ste and Leela - rather than just seeing events that have happened let us build a window into the characters lives- make us care again and make the show make sense - and don't even get me started on the number relationships that develop and exist solely off screen.

I stand by my thoughts that the show has some really strong actors and a good cast when utilised well, and although there are definitely some weaker links or people who logically need to move on, the far bigger problem is currently with the Stewardship and production of the show in my opinion....

Great post - 100% agree with all this.
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all!

Woooo - new thread.

Happy Tuesday :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can someone remind me how to add a picture to the post, and possibly centre something?
  • Options
    RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,171
    Forum Member
    edited 01/08/23 - 08:05 #10
    Can someone remind me how to add a picture to the post, and possibly centre something?

To insert a picture, drag and drop it into the text box, or paste the URL of the picture. To centre the text, use the middle of the three sets of lines to the right of the chain above the text box (see below).

kud6df9a2knr.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rinsewind wrote: »

I'm not sure about inserting pictures (it may be as simple as pasting the URL for the picture), but to centre the text, use the middle of the three sets of lines to the right of the chain above the text box.

kud6df9a2knr.png

Thank you! Could be because I post from my phone lots of options are missing, was going to try to fancy up the thread a little. 😆
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not sure about inserting pictures (it may be as simple as pasting the URL for the picture), but to centre the text, use the middle of the three sets of lines to the right of the chain above the text box.

kud6df9a2knr.png

Thank you! Could be because I post from my phone lots of options are missing, was going to try to fancy up the thread a little. 😆

Please see my updated post.
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To insert a picture, drag and drop it into the text box, or paste the URL of the picture. To centre the text, use the middle of the three sets of lines to the right of the chain above the text box (see below).

kud6df9a2knr.png

I had no idea how to insert a pic. Is it possible to upload phone pics?
  • Options
    Forum Member

kud6df9a2knr.png

I honestly have no idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member

kud6df9a2knr.png

Worked it out [ I m g ] *paste url [ / I m g ] without spaces :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

kud6df9a2knr.png

Worked it out [ I m g ] *paste url [ / I m g ] without spaces :)

Noni mean just uploading a pic from my phone - what wouldn't have a URL ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/08/23 - 08:42 #17
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no - sounds like it’s Pearl who Jack is smitten with. I was hoping it’d be Norma!
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry @ScottishWoody I made this second thread before I saw your post.
    My personal opinion is that its better to keep things in one place as when we had daily or current episode threads they generated little interest. Plus as the show airs at different times it gets a little complicated. I like the idea of keeping it together, but I am just one person so if others disagree we can of course do something different :smile:

@R2Y5A0N2, thanks for the spoilers - I haven't seen that site before. Bit of a mixed bag week for me, some mentions of Sienna, Ethan and Rafe which I am really enjoying, I'm also surprisingly enjoying the teen storylines with Charlie, Shing Ling and Dillon at the minute. Not a big fan of Ella but let's see how it lands.

I cannot find myself enthused by the Felix fight storyline at all...I always dislike fight club stories in a soap and I don't feel that Richard Blackwood has the screen presence or charisma to make me interested. Although we have had this conversation many times they have some many characters who could be further explored but the same key players are always pushed front and centre and Mercedes, Warren, Maxine and Felix just do not excite me personally- although granted all can be good with the right material.

Don't be silly, the more I think about it, one place for everything is probably better 😌
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was a little confusing seeing Maxine on the phone to the plastic surgeon, next scene is Leela on the phone "well can't you do it yourself?" 😂
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine any surgeon doing surgery already on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 01/08/23 - 11:17 #22
    I thought the new thread would be an opportunity to analyse the characters in the show and to really dissect / discuss what's working and what isn't so without further adieu our first character spotlight:

Joel Dexter
    Rory Douglas Speed (2016- Present)
    Andrew Still (2011-2013)

EEHbVF-UwAAEgaN.jpg

Starting with the less controversial Fox on the show, Joel as a character has been around for 12 years now but in my opinion is still under used despite being played by a competent actor.

Although he has been getting more screen time recently Joel very much falls into the camp which I mentioned earlier (a relationship which seemed to flourish off screen until needed), no real friendships to talk about and a complex family dynamics which would again benefit with the day to day character building aspects that makes us root for, cheer and understand a character.

I find Joel fairly inoffensive, and quote like him and Leela together but he does feel prime candidate for someone who could be easily axed. Sam or Ethan could be a good dynamic for him.

His new diabetes storyline is OK, but I don't really understand his motivation behind not telling Leela, and I struggle to believe that he would go to the extreme lengths of getting Donna Marie heroine to keep his illness a secret, particularly given his history with Katie.

So... thoughts on Joel, current past or present?
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    You're welcome @Goosebee @orangeowl :smile:
  • Options
    JArsea123JArsea123 Posts: 9,524
    Forum Member
    I thought the new thread would be an opportunity to analyse the characters in the show and to really dissect / discuss what's working and what isn't so without further adieu our first character spotlight:

Joel Dexter
    Andrew Still (2011-2013)

EEHbVF-UwAAEgaN.jpg

Starting with the less controversial Fox on the show, Joel as a character has been around for 12 years now but in my opinion is still under used despite being played by a competent actor.

Although he has been getting more screen time recently Joel very much falls into the camp which I mentioned earlier (a relationship which seemed to flourish off screen until needed), no real friendships to talk about and a complex family dynamics which would again benefit with the day to day character building aspects that makes us root for, cheer and understand a character.

I find Joel fairly inoffensive, and quote like him and Leela together but he does feel prime candidate for someone who could be easily axed. Sam or Ethan could be a good dynamic for him.

His new diabetes storyline is OK, but I don't really understand his motivation behind not telling Leela, and I struggle to believe that he would go to the extreme lengths of getting Donna Marie heroine to keep his illness a secret, particularly given his history with Katie.

Joel Dexter
    Andrew Still (2011-2013)

EEHbVF-UwAAEgaN.jpg

I like Joel. He needs more gritty storylines though like the older Joel did.
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    Week 32 spoilers
    Monday 07 August 2023 at 18:30PM on Channel 4
    Sharon is concerned that Felix could end up getting seriously hurt, but Norma has a fight lined up for him with big money up for grabs. Felix tells Norma the risks are too high and he's out, but she's determined to make her money-making idea a success and encourages him, while Sharon listens in from the door.
    Felix agrees to the fight, but Sharon follows him and is on hand when things turn ugly after the bell.
    Meanwhile, Norma gives a drop-off job to Mercedes, which requires Warren as protection.
    Elsewhere, Jack hosts the Earl of Dee survival workshop, which has two VIP tickets for a festival up for grabs as an incentive to get the teens to participate. At the café, Tom tells Pearl that Jack lacks skills in survival, despite his history in the police force, so she joins forces with him to co-run the workshop.
    Lucas confides in Dillon that he handed in an old phone as a decoy so he could keep his real one, but Pearl discovers the phone in his hand and confiscates it. Lucas and Dillon decide to team up and come up with a plan to ensure they win the tickets.
    Also today, Hunter gives Zoe a private art class in the village, but when Freya passes by, she invites herself to join.

Tuesday 08 August 2023 at 18:30PM on Channel 4
    Felix tells Mercedes that his latest injuries are a result of being in a boxing ring to bring in more money to help her family.
    Hurt that Felix is putting blame on her, Mercedes walks out.
    Meanwhile, Cindy is out of hospital and wants to make up to Ella. She suggests a sweet 16th birthday party. Wanting to help, Dave proposes they use The Loft and offers to speak to Shing Lin to smooth things over between the two teens.
    At home, Cindy reflects on losing the market, which was her and Luke's legacy. Dave tries to support her.
    Elsewhere, Warren confronts Norma about the fake job. She confesses that it was to keep him out the way while Terry Smart was around. Norma suggests to Warren that they should go into a legitimate business together, claiming the closer they get, the more she feels the absence of Katie.
    Ethan and Sienna are taken aback when Norma and Warren inform them that, with Grace in prison, they'll be their new business partners. With these changes afoot, Ella's party gets cancelled.
    At The Loft, Ella is upset to hear the party is no longer on and lashes out at Warren. She refuses to tell him what her real issue is, but Norma is determined to find out the truth.
    Also today, Brooke offers to help Charlie with his anxiety, but when Shing Lin walks by and tries to take his notepad, things between them only get worse. Back at home, Brooke worries that Charlie is bottling up his anxiety.

Wednesday 09 August 2023 at 18:30PM on Channel 4
    Norma puts the sweet 16th party back on at The Loft, telling Warren it's good for their image. However, feeling like Norma has gone behind his back, Warren tells his mum that he wants no more secrets.
    Later, a hurt Shing Lin takes to the microphone during the party, but what will she say?
    Meanwhile, Ste is displeased to hear that James intends to kick the McQueens out of their home during a surprise home inspection. The McQueens are anonymously tipped off and prepared for James' visit, but Sally also discovers they need 24 hours' notice before an inspection.
    Later, James asks Ste if he was the one who tipped them off. Goldie tells James that they'll be putting a statue of Bronzer up in the village to remind him of what he did to her beloved pet.
    Elsewhere, Darren tries to encourage Charlie to seek professional help, but he storms off. Brooke finds Charlie having a panic attack in the village. At home, Charlie opens up to Brooke and lets Darren know he's willing to consider medication to help with his mental health.
    Also today, Dillon and Lucas try to play cupid and tell Pearl that Jack has been speaking admiringly about her. The teens suggest to Pearl that she asks him out.

Thursday 10 August 2023 at 18:30PM on Channel 4
    Sienna is worried that Ella might cause trouble for the family. She tells Warren that Mandy not telling him probably meant she doesn't want him involved in her daughter's life.
    Later, Ella walks in on Terry Smart trying to rob the garage.
    Meanwhile, Goldie is shocked to see the estimated price for the statue of Bronzer but is determined to make it happen and turns to Norma for extra shifts. However, she's left shocked and concerned when she discovers that Norma has sold the Salon. James admits he was the one who suggested the property to Rafe, who's looking to open an office in the village.
    Elsewhere, Charlie wants to stop struggling, but when Darren suggests he tries speaking to someone first, Charlie's emotions blow up. Brooke tells Darren he really needs to tell Charlie the truth.
    At the opening of the market, Charlie tries to speak to Shing Lin, but she doesn't want to hear what he has to say.

Friday 11 August 2023 at 18:30PM on Channel 4
    Romeo does all he can to try and get the video that Juliet left for James back, but it's gone forever. James gets in touch with an old acquaintance, who owes him a favour.
    At the McQueens', Mercedes receives a shocking phone call.
    Meanwhile, Darren confides in Tony about his concern for Charlie. Down at the Youth Centre, Darren reaches out to Shing Lin. He lets her know how overwhelming the outside world can be and how Charlie never meant to hurt her. He asks her to speak to him.
    Over at the Osbornes', Charlie opens up to Shing Lin about his dark thoughts and apologises.
    Elsewhere, Warren tries to get answers from Cindy, but her head is elsewhere, worried he may end up causing more harm in Ella's life.
    Joel asks Warren when he was going to tell him about Ella. In the park, they both bump into Ella, and Warren asks her to come and visit him later on.
    Also today, Sienna is finding it hard to accept that Warren might have another child. While Ethan and Sienna spend the day together, they agree not to talk about Rafe or Dilly, but when Sienna nips to the bathroom, Ethan looks at her phone when it goes off and discovers a message from Rafe.
    Wanting Sienna to know she has his support and trust, Ethan replies to Rafe on Sienna's phone, arranging for her to meet him, knowing she wouldn't do it after committing to spend the day together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else interested in how they've managed to get shorts on the statue of Tony ?