Options

Talk Talk Block p2p

veseyvesey Posts: 375
Forum Member
I am with talk talk broaband

Since the end of December they have been blocking p2p ports, they sometimes work at night time (if you are lucky)
anyone have any other news on this, and if there is a way out?

Would ISPr will run a story on it, as talk talk are meant to be "unlimited" and they are clearly not!

I am stuck with them for another 6 months :(

Comments

• Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that's true would it mean SkyByBroadbamd wouldn't work on it?
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TalkTalk have always screwed up P2P.

I was with them from Dec 2004 until Feb/March 2005.

At first they denied blocking P2P, but admitted it in the end, TalkTalk for broadband is crap, you only need to read ADSL Guide to see how crap they have always been. Thankfully they let me migrate out at no cost.

When I was with them P2P was 'throttled' 24/7, you would be lucky to get 1k/s mostly 0.5k/s.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=222329&highlight=talktalk

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=277676&highlight=talktalk

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=277676&highlight=talktalk

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=209125&highlight=talktalk

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=167797&page=1&pp=40&highlight=talktalk

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/search.php?searchid=496781&pp=25&page=2

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote:
    If that's true would it mean SkyByBroadbamd wouldn't work on it?

As Sky By Broadband is P2P, you will find it will crawl to stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to be very interested to see how SkyByBroadband (and BBC's offering in due course) develops.

There are an awful lot of people with ISP's that have very small caps (just a few gigs a month) or throttle speeds or block ports etc, etc. None of these people will really be able to use SkyByBroadband etc apart from literally one or two films a month.

I suspect lots of the people who want to try these services will be exactly those on the cheapest and most capped packages and who understand very little about BB or that it will be via P2P.

Seems on one hand more and more services being launched but more and more ISP's seeking to restrict usage levels. One hand Sky promoting it and on the other people not being able to use it. Its only going to take the average user to increase their usage a little to impact us all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky will be able to advertise their broadband ISP offering as not restricting the P2P traffic to at least it's P2P program.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but the majority of us have no access to LLU and in many cases probably never will have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is true, and likely to annoy a lot of people, plus I wouldn't go with Sky for broadband, that would be going too far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    hi to all out there talktalk have blocked all p2p and have said they have no date to let us download p2p again so as I have said before cant wait until may until I get out of this contract and I am going to advise anyone never to join talktalk as they tell you its unlimited and uncaped but they know that a lot of p2p are illegal so watchdog or any one else will not take this case up, so they have us by the b**** and they know it.So as I have said in another place if we all let people know how bad this company is, they will lose a lot of customers in the long run so come on all you spread the bad word :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kanso2002 you are saying everything myself and others have been saying since the beginning of the year, yet people still sign up with them.

I joined Dec 2004 and left Feb/March 2005 and posted how crap they were and on how they were blocking P2P on here and on ADSL Guide, yet people still joined up with them.

P2P blocking by TalkTalk has been going since day one.
  • Options
    duckapluckduckapluck Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does this mean that you cant even share family videos with another family member via p2p Or rapidshare etc because it will be too slow? Doesnt that mean breach of contract on their part??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes I understand that but I only found this forum a few months ago so didnt no how bad talktalk was but will be doing my best now to spread the bad word about them and if I can stop at least 1 person from joining them then I will be happy so come on keep spreading the bad news about TalkTalk :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    itsme25 wrote:
    does this mean that you cant even share family videos with another family member via p2p Or rapidshare etc because it will be too slow? Doesnt that mean breach of contract on their part??

That it does. All P2P by TalkTalk has always been 'managed' or 'blocked' they keep changing what they are doing, when I joined a couple of months after they started offering broadband, all P2P traffic was blocked, I say blocked as you could only get around 0.5k/s when with Pipex I would be getting 110+k/s.

If you read the contract you will find they cover themselves.

The ASA aren't interested in their advertisement of unlimited, as it is on their own website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kanso2002 wrote:
    yes I understand that but I only found this forum a few months ago so didnt no how bad talktalk was but will be doing my best now to spread the bad word about them and if I can stop at least 1 person from joining them then I will be happy so come on keep spreading the bad news about TalkTalk :mad: :mad:

Also let people know of adsl guide before they consider any provider.

I joined TalkTalk when they more or less first started, so there wasn't enough people around to say how good or bad the service was, but soon after joining I was then starting to hear others with the same problems, I should have listened to others who said wait and see what the service is like, trouble is, if everyone did than, there would be no one on a service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its simple. A very significant number of people signing up for Broadband have no idea what they are doing. Words like bandwidth, caps, throttling and shaping etc mean absolutely nothing. Most don't read the T&C's and any that do, don't understand them. Several people I've spoken to don't even know what downloading is. They thought Surfing, streaming, email etc didn't count and that it was only specifically downloading files etc that did. Let alone understand it is a usage cap and not a download one. Many have no idea that streaming uses more than surfing etc. Most have no idea how caps may effect them or what P2P is.

Remember the people who mainly visit here and adslguide etc are the exception and not typical of "ordinary" users many of whom probably signed up using a disk they got from a magazine or something.

Mind you there's a fair few ISP's who take advantage of this ignorance in the way they market their products on their web sites. You regularly see them advertising all the great things you can do whcih normally concentrats on movies, streaming etc all of which you won't be able to do to any extent on a 3 gig cap!

I predict loads of unhappy Sky customers who find they can't use the Sky By Broadband service or are limited to 2 movies a month because they are on the wrong service and don't know it yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi just seen on another forum that talktalk what to charge someone £70 to leave ,I wouldnt give them the satisfaction of giving them any money to leave I will just keep on telling people not to join them as I have said I have 5 months left and am going to suffer it out and hopefully can stop a few people from joining them and that will give me some satisfaction knowing that I have cost them money ,so come on and let everyone know how C*** they are,also word must be getting to them that a lot of people are unhappy with their service so come on spread the word :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem so loaded Bit tornado thinking that there was prob with Azureus. the B*st***s at talktalk are just throttling everything except what they consider 'legal' downloads. They used to throttle consistently from 4pm to midnight but now it seems 24/7. Roll on the day when I can give them the elbow and move to someone like Zen who promise no restrictions and a 50:1 contention ratio. More expensive but then you only get what you pay for and effectively paying for downloading at bit rates is very very expensive. They seem to choke whatever port you use, I was recommended to use 52525 with Az and randomise with BT but to no avail. Can't wait till March when my contract is up, at least Zen allow monthly contracts. I got green smilies but looking at details showed all seeds and peers choked. The other trick that talktalk have got up to is to designate newsletters from computer dealers like Ma**in and D*bs as Spam and I only found out this when I went to their webmail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was with TalkTalk they were throttling P2P 24/7 then, it was only later some areas didn't have 24/7 throttling.

As for changing ports, it doesn't make any difference, you could put traffic on port 80 (HTTP) and it will still be blocked. The system TalkTalk use for shaping traffic doesn't care what port it uses, it checks to see what traffic is being carried on any port, if it is web or email etc it allows it through, if not it either blocks it, or slows it down to a crawl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    got an email from talk talk today (reply in 24hours - not bad for a crap company!)
    TalkTalk have a policy detailed in your Terms and Conditions that network controls can be implemented as and when required. This is part of the fair usage policy. I have sent a disconnection form on a separate email whereby you can request a MAC, however there would be a £70 cessation fee incurred at this point of your contract.

*insert insut here* :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am thinking of joining 123isp (its a Murphx vISP) - Free migration, 2mb 24.99, no limits. 1 Month contract. http://www.123isp.co.uk/broadband/home.php

it gonna be very painful giving TalkTalk £70 though :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dont gave them anything,this is just blackmail ,just keep telling your friends how bad this company is and the more people find out the better,so far I know I have put a few friends of talktalk so come on all of you start spreading the bad word :mad: :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have posted a message at Net4Now about it, asking them to run a story on it http://www.net4nowtforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21283
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi have they started to let us download again as I have noticed my downloads have started again,bit slow but at least they have started :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I still cant download :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried bitcomet with encrypted headers set on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how do you trun on encrypted headers?
    BTW just downloaed bitcommet, and it looks great