Options

Freely - New service from UK PSBs delivering live free TV via IP, coming 2024

Comments

• Options
    SeagullNippleSeagullNipple Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    Stumbled upon this service last night while researching something else, wonder how it will differ

https://netgem.co.uk/
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,604
    Forum Member
    Stumbled upon this service last night while researching something else, wonder how it will differ

You mean apart from it's a pay TV service using an app, not a free TV service built as an integral part of the set (hopefully!).

It's just another Firestick, Roku, Apple TV etc.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talktalk TV were offering Nextgen boxes, but have now gone to Google OS powered Youview like boxes, but still needing a UHF aerial.
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/24 - 11:58 #280

That website is very confusing and I could not find any indication of what you pay and what you get for it apart from a STB. The only clue I found was:
    Netgem TV members are our customers who are on a monthly subscription directly with Netgem TV through Three UK or their ISP.

Looking at their support pages shows that they supply a Freeview STB (for the normal OTA free broadcasts) with a fancy EPG which integrates IP channels and on-demand apps:
    To watch Freeview channels on your Netgem TV device you'll need to connect your Set-top Box to a TV aerial. If you don't have an aerial, don't despair: you can still enjoy more than 115 IP channels (channels 830 onwards on your TV guide) and access more than 40 apps with your Netgem TV service. You can find all of your applications under the "All apps" menu on the box. Of course, some Freeview channels have their own apps, such as BBC iPlayer, where you can find some Live TV, but not all Freeview channels have this option.

Its unclear whether the monthly subscription covers any or all IP subscription services like Amazon which seems to get mentioned a lot. However I did find this which does not look very premium:
    zmvv612n10g3.png
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 08/02/24 - 12:10 #281
    misar wrote: »

That website is very confusing and I could not find any indication of what you pay and what you get for it apart from a STB. The only clue I found was:
    Netgem TV members are our customers who are on a monthly subscription directly with Netgem TV through Three UK or their ISP.

Looking at their support pages shows that they supply a Freeview STB (for the normal OTA free broadcasts) with a fancy EPG which integrates IP channels and on-demand apps:
    To watch Freeview channels on your Netgem TV device you'll need to connect your Set-top Box to a TV aerial. If you don't have an aerial, don't despair: you can still enjoy more than 115 IP channels (channels 830 onwards on your TV guide) and access more than 40 apps with your Netgem TV service. You can find all of your applications under the "All apps" menu on the box. Of course, some Freeview channels have their own apps, such as BBC iPlayer, where you can find some Live TV, but not all Freeview channels have this option.

Its unclear whether the monthly subscription covers any or all IP subscription services like Amazon which seems to get mentioned a lot. However I did find this which does not look very premium:
    zmvv612n10g3.png

It costs £9.99 a month with an 18 month subscription and includes everything you mentioned.

https://support.netgem.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360003316738-How-do-I-subscribe-to-Netgem-TV-membership
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/24 - 12:23 #282
    snukr wrote: »

zmvv612n10g3.png

It costs £9.99 a month with an 18 month subscription and includes everything you mentioned.

https://support.netgem.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360003316738-How-do-I-subscribe-to-Netgem-TV-membership

I don't think it does. For example, I mentioned that there seems to be a focus on Amazon for which it says this:

In case you are unsure what Amazon channel are, feel free to click here to visit another article. Below is a list of 60+ Amazon channels that you can subscribe to via Prime Video. Click on the subscription links of the channels you are interested in to subscribe to them. Please note that you will need an Amazon Prime account to subscribe to these.

Possibly £9.99 a month for 18 months gets you a Freeview STB and the usual free Internet services.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    edited 08/02/24 - 16:10 #283
    Sky and Virgin interfaces are both fecking awful to use and the main reason I gave both of them up. Now instead of coming up with something better and easier to use Fredly is going to copy the shit ones and foist it on me.

And I bet I won't be able to record and store live tv for my convenience as I do now either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glyn W wrote: »
    Sky and Virgin interfaces are both fecking awful to use and the main reason I gave both of them up. Now instead of coming up with something better and easier to use Fredly is going to copy the shit ones and foist it on me.

And I bet I won't be able to record and store live tv for my convenience as I do now either.

Of course you won't, it's a streaming service - a major reason for it's development will be to stop people recording.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course you won't, it's a streaming service - a major reason for it's development will be to stop people recording.

And skipping through the commercial breaks without paying a fee to do so.

• Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

zmvv612n10g3.png

I don't think it does. For example, I mentioned that there seems to be a focus on Amazon for which it says this:

In case you are unsure what Amazon channel are, feel free to click here to visit another article. Below is a list of 60+ Amazon channels that you can subscribe to via Prime Video. Click on the subscription links of the channels you are interested in to subscribe to them. Please note that you will need an Amazon Prime account to subscribe to these.

Possibly £9.99 a month for 18 months gets you a Freeview STB and the usual free Internet services.

There are far more channels than on Freeview, but not many of the extra channels are anything most people would want to watch. I wouldn't pay for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And skipping through the commercial breaks without paying a fee to do so.

Which is why they don't like recording.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member

To be honest, I don't want a streaming service, I see absolutely no advantage or benefit in it for me at all. So much for 'freedom for the viewer', it's more like it or lump it.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 21,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, I don't want a streaming service, I see absolutely no advantage or benefit in it for me at all. So much for 'freedom for the viewer', it's more like it or lump it.

Yes, pretty much, things are moving to a model where you can only 'pay to use' on the vendor's terms, and not be able to keep something in perpetuity.

Everything is going that way, music, computer software, etc.....
  • Options
    eddie_jayeddie_jay Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I think streaming is going to replace satellite television completely. Everything will be FAST/FSST/AVOD/SVOD. They do need to sort the interfaces out though.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eddie_jay wrote: »

Personally, I think streaming is going to replace satellite television completely. Everything will be FAST/FSST/AVOD/SVOD. They do need to sort the interfaces out though.

Virgin will do well if they keep their PVRs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Virgin media now have VM Stream but still selling and will support the PVRs with hard drives for years to come. But will become more expensive than VM Stream
    Likewise with Sky Stream and Sky Q with hard drive. Sky Q will become more expensive.
    And also Manhattan will still support the Freeview PVRs for a few years to come.
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/05/24 - 09:40 #293

zmvv612n10g3.png

There are far more channels than on Freeview, but not many of the extra channels are anything most people would want to watch. I wouldn't pay for it.

I did not think you has to pay for it apart from a new TV which everyone will have to do at some time like going from 405 to 625. This is like taking about the 405 line closing in 1973 by 1984 there were very few 405 line only TVs around. By 2035 many peole will have replaced thier sets. I have just replaced a set I got in 2013 therefore the one I have now will be due for replacement in 2035 it will probably have Freely with all the bugs ironed out by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

zmvv612n10g3.png

I did not think you has to pay for it apart from a new TV which everyone will have to do at some time like going from 405 to 625. This is like taking about the 405 line closing in 1973 by 1984 there were very few 405 line only TVs around. By 2035 many peole will have replaced thier sets. I have just replaced a set I got in 2013 therefore the one I have now will be due for replacement in 2035 it will probably have Freely with all the bugs ironed out by then.

He was talking about this paid service, not Freely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/05/24 - 20:13 #295

zmvv612n10g3.png

He was talking about this paid service, not Freely.
    Netgem had signed up some ISPs for the TV service with a STB and USB memory stick, rather than hard drive for recording, Think no UK ISPs now offer Netgem, but Netgem offer the box at £9.99pm.
    Talktalk has given up Netgem and now offer it's customers a Google TV box with a Youview DTT tuner, but no recording function, for £5 pm and a Now offer. Unlike Freely no streaming function for the Freeview DTT channels.

• Options
    neysneys Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/05/24 - 21:35 #296
    I still at times recorded TV using my old Youview box, only as some shows are still not on catchup/on demand.
    So would in the short term miss not being able to record some shows.
  • Options
    SuccessionSuccession Posts: 6,550
    Forum Member
    edited 09/05/24 - 21:45 #297

Captain Jack Sparrow will also do well...
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »

Virgin media now have VM Stream but still selling and will support the PVRs with hard drives for years to come. But will become more expensive than VM Stream
    Likewise with Sky Stream and Sky Q with hard drive. Sky Q will become more expensive.
    And also Manhattan will still support the Freeview PVRs for a few years to come.

Moving to streaming only (with no local recording) reduces costs for the service providers - rights can cost less as they're for a limited period only, plus the cost of supporting end users is considerably lower.
    The least reliable part of any PVR is the hard drive, so by eliminating that they reduce support costs.
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,904
    Forum Member
    rscott wrote: »

The least reliable part of any PVR is the hard drive, so by eliminating that they reduce support costs.

Really? Having had hard drive PVR’s since their UK inception with TiVo in 1996, I have never had one fail.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only had issues with the hardware itself, most notably the notorious Thompson made Sky boxes and then a Humax Freesat PVR. Despite being in near constant use, the HDDs have always held up well (possibly because of being in constant use and not always spinning up and down).

Clearly the industry don't want people being able to archive content and would much prefer you have to buy or rent content if you ever want to watch it again, while accepting that those broadcasts (e.g. news or sport) you saved may never be seen again - even the streaming services won't archive such things forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/05/24 - 17:26 #301
    rscott wrote: »

Moving to streaming only (with no local recording) reduces costs for the service providers - rights can cost less as they're for a limited period only, plus the cost of supporting end users is considerably lower.
    The current new customer prices for Sky are
    Stream (no hard drive): no Setup cost, One month, free then £28 pm for a 18 months contract.
    Q (with hard drive and dish): £20 setup, £31 pm for 18 months contract.
    So Sky are steering new customers towards Stream, but Q with a hard drive is available at slightly higher cost. I t could be eventually the gap cost between Stream and Q for new customers will increase?

Does look like Now will be preinstalled on Freely TV sets, so will have availability of some Sky content with no external STB (or UHD) on monthly contracts, but again no hard drive.