Options

BREAKING NEWS: 24 Hours in A&E production halted

lufcfan1998lufcfan1998 Posts: 18,895
Forum Member
✭✭
According to reports on Twitter, Channel 4 has halted production on 24 Hours in A&E after more than 300 episodes. Planned filming for this year has been scrapped. Producer The Garden broke the news to the production crew that had been pencilled in for this autumn's shoot earlier today. The show employs around 190 freelancers.

Comments

• Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately C4 is in financial ruin at the minute, advertising revenue across ITV, C4 and C5 are at an all time low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking news?

It's the only saying I could think of to announce it on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 25/04/24 - 00:01 #5
    Unfortunately C4 is in financial ruin at the minute, advertising revenue across ITV, C4 and C5 are at an all time low.

Wow. I knew about the C4 cuts but didn't know about advertising at an all time low across all 3 main commercial TV networks.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25/04/24 - 00:14 #6

Wow. I knew about the C4 cuts but didn't know about advertising at an all time across all 3 main commercial TV networks.

Richard Osman recently discussed it on his podcast.

https://youtu.be/0XhH5f97t2E?si=1OLT96PUs0OVyFbC&start=92

Also it's interesting Richard mentions that "Its amazing what Mr Bates and the post office can do." When today Kevin Lygo announced
    Kevin Lygo, ITV's managing director of media and entertainment, said: "Mr Bates has made a loss of something like £1m and we can't continually do this."

Broadcasters are facing big financial pressures, and often rely on overseas channels or streamers buying the rights to show a programme to help recoup its budget.

• Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,219
    Forum Member
    edited 25/04/24 - 07:29 #7

Wow. I knew about the C4 cuts but didn't know about advertising at an all time across all 3 main commercial TV networks.

Richard Osman recently discussed it on his podcast.

https://youtu.be/0XhH5f97t2E?si=1OLT96PUs0OVyFbC&start=92

Also it's interesting Richard mentions that "Its amazing what Mr Bates and the post office can do." When today Kevin Lygo announced
    Kevin Lygo, ITV's managing director of media and entertainment, said: "Mr Bates has made a loss of something like £1m and we can't continually do this."

Broadcasters are facing big financial pressures, and often rely on overseas channels or streamers buying the rights to show a programme to help recoup its budget.

He went on to say 4 hours of drama (if you include advert breaks) about the UK Post Office just doesn't resonate with overseas TV channels. Think he used the example of Estonia (was somewhere in Baltics) and their TV companies said why is it of interest to people living here and unsurprisingly didn't buy it.

He said it was only sold to about 12 countries. ITV thought after the political scandal broke and it was all over UK media and news agenda this would attract more overseas sales but it didn't they didn't sell to any more places.

This is why ITV really need to focus on the "cozy" crime shows as that is what sells from UK to other countries. You can sell those easily to 100+ countries so they are profitable.

Interesting that ITV's next big real life drama is on the blood scandal and all the people killed by HIV and Hepatitis C from infected blood products. Guess that is potentially more relatable internationally than IT failure and claims of fraud in the Royal Mail. People dying tugs at the heart strings and is something foreigners will probably be more interested in watching.
  • Options
    Den HaagDen Haag Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a balance of money making programmes and important programmes is required. So the cosy murder shows pay for all the post office type dramas.

Otherwise UK TV will just disappear down the plughole and we'll end up with nothing but the cheapest shows that make the most money overseas.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 25/04/24 - 09:47 #9
    malcy30 wrote: »
    ...Interesting that ITV's next big real life drama is on the blood scandal and all the people killed by HIV and Hepatitis C from infected blood products. Guess that is potentially more relatable internationally than IT failure and claims of fraud in the Royal Mail. People dying tugs at the heart strings and is something foreigners will probably be more interested in watching.

I can see that being of more interest internationally on account of the nexus to blood supplied by dubious American sources - e.g. homeless, ex-prisoners etc...which even America didn't use.
  • Options
    Gone with the Wind2Gone with the Wind2 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Den Haag wrote: »
    I think a balance of money making programmes and important programmes is required. So the cosy murder shows pay for all the post office type dramas.

Otherwise UK TV will just disappear down the plughole and we'll end up with nothing but the cheapest shows that make the most money overseas.

Exactly. Not every programme has to be profitable.

ITV is a Public Service Broadcaster and gets privileges from being so, such as the guaranteed third slot of the EPG; the quid pro quo of that is that it has to make some programmes that meet the PSB remit, even if they aren't profitable.

For every occasional 'Mr Bates...' drama, there are a string of Midsomer Murder-type shows that do make a profit.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure this thread needs the "BREAKING NEWS"....
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITV is a Public Service Broadcaster and gets privileges from being so, such as the guaranteed third slot of the EPG; the quid pro quo of that is that it has to make some programmes that meet the PSB remit, even if they aren't profitable.

For every occasional 'Mr Bates...' drama, there are a string of Midsomer Murder-type shows that do make a profit.

While that's true ITV is more likely to commission dramas which are of high quality but also marketable to overseas broadcasters, so they can recoup their investment. Clearly overseas audiences are not going to be interested in a drama about a scandal at the UK post office.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 25/04/24 - 09:50 #14
    Didn't know this thread was as important as a member of the government resigning or a royal baby
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one bites the dust :(
  • Options
    Gone with the Wind2Gone with the Wind2 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »

While that's true ITV is more likely to commission dramas which are of high quality but also marketable to overseas broadcasters, so they can recoup their investment. Clearly overseas audiences are not going to be interested in a drama about a scandal at the UK post office.

Clearly but not *every* programme has to be thought about in terms of overseas sales
  • Options
    Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    Breaking news?

An hour later, the OP 'bumped' the C4 is struggling thread, with the same news. Meanwhile, I was fast asleep - as I guess most of us were at 1am...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Breaking news?

An hour later, the OP 'bumped' the C4 is struggling thread, with the same news. Meanwhile, I was fast asleep - as I guess most of us were at 1am...
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Breaking news?

Don't worry, I went to asleep not long after posting that other comment, as I had to be up at 7am.
  • Options
    occasional postoccasional post Posts: 6,446
    Forum Member
    In other Breaking News I had an egg mayo sandwich for lunch

It was a bit stale
  • Options
    pubsingerpubsinger Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say I lost interest in this particular fly-on-the-wall hospital reality drama a few years ago, so many other better shows that focus on the injury or medical emergency and how the team go about dealing with it.

24 Hours in A&E is all about the back story or personal lives of the patients, far too much time taken up with relatives' pieces to camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pubsinger wrote: »
    Have to say I lost interest in this particular fly-on-the-wall hospital reality drama a few years ago, so many other better shows that focus on the injury or medical emergency and how the team go about dealing with it.

24 Hours in A&E is all about the back story or personal lives of the patients, far too much time taken up with relatives' pieces to camera.

To be fair I haven't watched it in a while too. It must be at least 5 years since I last watched a full episode.
  • Options
    Uncle GrumpyUncle Grumpy Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I can't say I'm sad about this.
    When it first started it was mostly about the medical side of things and what they could do for certain medical problems. Then like so many other programmes, it started milking the emotional story side of things and showed less and less of the medical side.
    Nowadays, it is one long hour of sob stories and background: All stuff that didn't actually happen in the A&E dept.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BREAKING NEWS: I farted 💨
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,201
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »

BREAKING WIND*
  • Options
    SuccessionSuccession Posts: 6,521
    Forum Member
    edited 26/04/24 - 03:03 #25
    Nostalgic wrote: »
    James2001 wrote: »

BREAKING WIND*

News at Sh*ts
    Channel 4 Poo's
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 26/04/24 - 07:46 #26
    Sorry, but I can't say I'm sad about this.
    When it first started it was mostly about the medical side of things and what they could do for certain medical problems. Then like so many other programmes, it started milking the emotional story side of things and showed less and less of the medical side.
    Nowadays, it is one long hour of sob stories and background: All stuff that didn't actually happen in the A&E dept.

Exactly why I tired of watching it too.