Options

Star Trek: Discovery - S5 (Paramount+)

Comments

• Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    another well we have to break the prime directive ep, but the pre warp locals will be better now we shown that they had modern tech but didnt know it and now they can stop sacrificing themselves ep. A bit of a filler ep, at least L'ak and Moll are back next week.
  • Options
    IrishdaveIrishdave Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This entire final season has been very meh so far........
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    another well we have to break the prime directive ep, but the pre warp locals will be better now we shown that they had modern tech but didnt know it and now they can stop sacrificing themselves ep. A bit of a filler ep, at least L'ak and Moll are back next week.

Or another "ancient computer which the natives treat as a god controls a planet but has stopped working properly" is one on the oldest Trek plots
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do seem to be trotting out the sci-fi "greatist" hits. But at least the unstuck in time one was entertaining.

Only joy I got out of this one was seeing Tilly literally run rings round St. Michael during the race. She out Mary-Sue'd her
  • Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe Michael passed up the chance to have a civilisation worship her as a literal god, would have been the easiest way to not affect their culture.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Yet another "stop the plot for a deep, meaningful conversation". What is this crap Culber is going through? No, wait. I shouldn't have asked. I don't care. And Tilly outrunning Burnham? Shouldn't they have fixed the other rain towers too? I mean, if you're gonna break the prime directive, you might as well be hung for wolf as a sheep.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Hmm. Yet another "stop the plot for a deep, meaningful conversation". What is this crap Culber is going through? No, wait. I shouldn't have asked. I don't care. And Tilly outrunning Burnham? Shouldn't they have fixed the other rain towers too? I mean, if you're gonna break the prime directive, you might as well be hung for wolf as a sheep.

Why is Book even on board (apart from the obvious that he will be needed for the finale)? Having him mope around the ship isn't very interesting.

Liked the contact lens tricorders though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 04/05/24 - 18:55 #84
    LostFool wrote: »

Why is Book even on board (apart from the obvious that he will be needed for the finale)? Having him mope around the ship isn't very interesting.

It would be an HR* nightmare to boot him off in the 32nd century. They'd need to find another Straight Black Guy first

* I assume the DE&I intersectional tick list is by then the sub prime directive
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    If Troi was on the Discovery she'd have to leave for health reasons. How could she cope with all that drippiness? 'I'm sorry but they're not fit for duty.'
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,791
    Forum Member
    Hmm. I'm sure there's been comment previously about lack of character background and development and now here we are with someone moaning because it's happening 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm. I'm sure there's been comment previously about lack of character background and development and now here we are with someone moaning because it's happening 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I'm sure that's right. :smile: What's happening now is an over-correction and it's being done in the clumsiest of ways. We've gone from not knowing who the bridge crew are to having names given at every opportunity. And I still don't care about the characters and that's because they're not credible as they're so poorly written. The one character with, perhaps, the best development is Saru.
  • Options
    HouseStarkHouseStark Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I said the same a few posts back, and that I don’t like the boring character at all. He’s not Federation so shouldn’t be there.

That last episode felt a right chore to get through, you could have skipped it (or even better not made it in the first place) and you wouldn’t miss anything. Felt like I was watching a rebooted Blake’s Seven.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HouseStark wrote: »

I said the same a few posts back, and that I don’t like the boring character at all. He’s not Federation so shouldn’t be there.

That last episode felt a right chore to get through, you could have skipped it (or even better not made it in the first place) and you wouldn’t miss anything. Felt like I was watching a rebooted Blake’s Seven.

You take that back!!! How dare you compare Blake's 7 to this drivel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 06/05/24 - 21:07 #90

I'm sure that's right. :smile: What's happening now is an over-correction ...
    Except no, it's probably not.

(Unless you're stating a fact in which case who said so and when? Source please.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You take that back!!! How dare you compare Blake's 7 to this drivel.

You’re absolutely spot on. This programme is nothing compared to Blake’s Seven, chalk and cheese. Was and remains one of my favourite programmes of all time.
  • Options
    Pete2174Pete2174 Posts: 21,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the latest episode last night. Utter crap.
    Worst show under the Trek banner ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yet I bet you're going to watch to the end and come on here and complain every single week 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet I bet you're going to watch to the end and come on here and complain every single week 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Yes I will be watching but no I won’t be complaining if it’s a decent episode. Chances of that are remote but we live in hope. I do hope that’s ok with you though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete2174 wrote: »

Yes I will be watching but no I won’t be complaining if it’s a decent episode. Chances of that are remote but we live in hope. I do hope that’s ok with you though.

He’s defensive of every programme he likes. As if anyone is dared to criticise anything he watches. Did the same with The Rookie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 07/05/24 - 23:44 #96

(Unless you're stating a fact in which case who said so and when? Source please.)

Internet 'debating' 101? Somewhat below your usual standard of defensiveness.

Obviously an (as in my) opinion. Did you really need me to state that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 08/05/24 - 05:58 #97

He’s defensive of every programme he likes. As if anyone is dared to criticise anything he watches. Did the same with The Rookie.

I’m defensive of the shows I like too but I’m old enough to call a spade a load of old cobblers if that’s this is and sadly has been for the majority of its run.

I want nothing more than it to be good so I can’t criticise it but if they keep serving up this then I won't hold back.

Discovery had the potential to be a brave new world for Trek & yet apart from season 2 its never really gotten going or reached the potential it had. Trek works best with an ensemble. Yes each show has their captain we all know and love but time was spent learning about the crew on a whole.
    No way could Discovery do a Lower Decks style episode or an Ascent (DS9) style episode as everything runs through Burnham. As to this weeks episode, I'm all for standalone stories but if you have a limited run (13? eps) then you need to get to your point quicker and not faff about hardly progressing your arc. I know some people enjoy the show, I also know a lot of folks are very disappointed in it. If folks don't like me calling it utter shit, then the ignore button is your friend.

Oh and I really enjoy The Rookie too.
  • Options
    Ken_ConnellKen_Connell Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 08/05/24 - 15:09 #98

I think Carl needs to debate more rather than just ignore other people's criticisms.

I am defensive of shows I like but that will not stop me critising them when they are bad.

Maybe explain why you like a show when you feel it is wrong to be negatibe about it. We can all like "bad" shows (I loved The Lost World as it was a great way to waste 45 minutes and I wasnt expecting plots to rival Breaking Bad or Emmy award winning acting) but try and answer valid criticism rather than just fob it off with "I like it".

For example, when a season of a show is so bad that it is disowed by the producers, writers and cast, then if someone is going to insist that they like it, they should explain why and not dismiss plots that make do not make sense, are full of holes and bad acting with "these are professional writers who know what they are doing" or "they can't be bad if professional casting agents decide that they are good enough

"

I’m defensive of the shows I like too but I’m old enough to call a spade a load of old cobblers if that’s this is and sadly has been for the majority of its run.

I want nothing more than it to be good so I can’t criticise it but if they keep serving up this then I won't hold back.

Discovery had the potential to be a brave new world for Trek & yet apart from season 2 its never really gotten going or reached the potential it had. Trek works best with an ensemble. Yes each show has their captain we all know and love but time was spent learning about the crew on a whole.
    No way could Discovery do a Lower Decks style episode or an Ascent (DS9) style episode as everything runs through Burnham. As to this weeks episode, I'm all for standalone stories but if you have a limited run (13? eps) then you need to get to your point quicker and not faff about hardly progressing your arc. I know some people enjoy the show, I also know a lot of folks are very disappointed in it. If folks don't like me calling it utter shit, then the ignore button is your friend.

Now this is was what I initially thought about Voyager - great premises, good cast and interesting characters (Neelix aside), arguably the best Trek pilot and hints the show could explain some the mysteries from Trek history - the Preservors, the machine planet, the Whalesong probe, what happened to Geordi's mother.

Sadly, the quality went down and I bailed in early season 5 (surprised I lasted as long) and only came back for the Borg Specials and Finale.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of Discovery, though s3 was average to good but found 4 and 5 a real slog. I will stick it out to the end but not expecting much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Carl needs to debate more rather than just ignore other people's criticisms.

I am defensive of shows I like but that will not stop me critising them when they are bad.

Maybe explain why you like a show when you feel it is wrong to be negatibe about it. We can all like "bad" shows (I loved The Lost World as it was a great way to waste 45 minutes and I wasnt expecting plots to rival Breaking Bad or Emmy award winning acting) but try and answer valid criticism rather than just fob it off with "I like it".

For example, when a season of a show is so bad that it is disowed by the producers, writers and cast, then if someone is going to insist that they like it, they should explain why and not dismiss plots that make do not make sense, are full of holes and bad acting with "these are professional writers who know what they are doing" or "they can't be bad if professional casting agents decide that they are good enough

"

Now this is was what I initially thought about Voyager - great premises, good cast and interesting characters (Neelix aside), arguably the best Trek pilot and hints the show could explain some the mysteries from Trek history - the Preservors, the machine planet, the Whalesong probe, what happened to Geordi's mother.

Sadly, the quality went down and I bailed in early season 5 (surprised I lasted as long) and only came back for the Borg Specials and Finale.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of Discovery, though s3 was average to good but found 4 and 5 a real slog. I will stick it out to the end but not expecting much.

I’m exactly the same with Discovery. Didn’t initially like S1 but grew to enjoy it. Season 2 is fantastic. 3 is ok, 4 I can’t recall that well & 5 started well but has nosedived since then.

• Options
    Forum Member
    edited 08/05/24 - 21:05 #100

I don't care if you don't like it. I care that threads are clogged with people complaining about a programme week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week .

If you don't like a show then just stop watching it and wasting time posting complaints about it in a forum week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week week after week .

That's my only issue.

Well, that's what I would do anyway as I have a lot of things to watch and won't miss watching something I'm not enjoying. Why would you put yourself through that?

And no, "I'm watching it in the hope it will improve" isn't a valid response if you've been saying that since season 1, or for an entire season!

I rarely outright complain about shows for the simple fact that I know I couldn't do any better. That's why they're writing TV shows and I'm not.

Internet 'debating' 101? Somewhat below your usual standard of defensiveness.

Obviously an (as in my) opinion. Did you really need me to state that?
    Not obviously enough, obviously 😁 But fair enough. I disagree.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 08/05/24 - 21:26 #101
    So take the advice I've given you before -
    f you only want to see appreciative comments in a thread why don't you start an appreciation thread?

You started this thread, if you'd stuck "Appreciation" on the end of the title you'd be perfectly entitled to police out all negativity, or at least request the mods do it as needed.