Forum Member
    LJM1 wrote:
    2 days
    3 virgin resets
    4 e-mails
    0 reply

1 angry customer :mad:

What seems to be the problem then?
    I've had mine for two days as well, and other than reception problem which will hopefully be fixed when I get a new aerial, I havent had any problems with my Philips set top box.

If you let people know what the problem is, others might be able to help on this board.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Simmo81 wrote:
    What seems to be the problem then?
    I've had mine for two days as well, and other than reception problem which will hopefully be fixed when I get a new aerial, I havent had any problems with my Philips set top box.

If you let people know what the problem is, others might be able to help on this board.

Its a problem with the software,mine being 0023.
    A software update is needed as the box loses channels,which the update rectifies,but phillips wont answer any e-mails about any new update(having already done one before I bought my box).
    If you search for dtr 1500 on this site you'll see its a on going problem :(

I've had the box for 3 months by the way.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there has already been an update for this, 0032.

Dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ***dan*** wrote:
    there has already been an update for this, 0032.

Dan

I did say (having already done one before I bought my box).

A repeat is required
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    an updates requiredf but when will it be braodcast ??
  • Options
    BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    32 (the update) should have been rebroadcast, but hasn't been. It appears this is philips' fault, and there's no excuse for it really. they have said previously (in an email to a forum member here) that they are working on a whole new version, and that will be the next version broadcast, but they said that literally months ago. a rebroadcast of 32 would have saved a lot of agro in the meantime.

If it's any consolation, the box with 32 (or, i'd assume, a new version built on that) is brilliant. but whether it's worth the wait if you're still stuck on 23, and not knowing when if ever it will be broadcast, is another matter.
  • Options
    rcmaccrcmacc Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    What does v32 do - i've had the Philips since last November and it still has v23, but i've not noticed any major flaws.

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rcmacc wrote:
    What does v32 do - i've had the Philips since last November and it still has v23, but i've not noticed any major flaws.

Rob

Same here.
    It does exactly what it's supposed to, full Freeview channel lineup, no glitching or freezing with the reception and no rebooting required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most (it appears) suffer losing channels which requires a reset to virgin mode to fix.An update cures this problem.

why yours doesnt I dont know :confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didnt have this problem with my Philips before the update.

Dan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had it once, but only after I'd fiddled with the connections (I may even have disconnected the power, not sure now). Maybe there's some trigger for it to happen, like that, which some users haven't come up against yet. It's definitely a problem tho, and definitely seems fixed in 32 (everybody that's reported it here has been using 23).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    got the following back from philips yesterday

With regards to your query we can advise that unfortunately we do not
    have any information on when the next update will be broadcasted or
    what it will contain.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ever helpful philips customer service. they don't have the information to hand, and they can't be bothered to pick up the phone to some remote technical department to get it. what's the point in them exactly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm still trying to work out what they do too

I may be some time.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mckillopm wrote:
    got the following back from philips yesterday

With regards to your query we can advise that unfortunately we do not
    have any information on when the next update will be broadcasted or
    what it will contain.

i've unplugged my own out of protest and now use a better stb in the bt iplayer with much better customer service :)

bean head(.''
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i'm considering a Nokia 221T
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reply from Phillips:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

With regards to your query we can advise that there is no definite
    date for the software update for the DTR1500. The update will be
    broadcast to the unit when it becomes available.

If you are experiencing problems with the unit we advise you to
    restore it to 'virgin mode' as indicated on page 31 of the User
    Manual.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance and
    should you require further advice please do not hesitate to contact us

Then................

With regards to your query we can advise that there is no software
    upgrade available for the DTR1500. This is subject to change at a
    later date, but as yet we do not have that information available.

We trust that the information provided will be of assistance and
    should you require further advice please do not hesitate to contact us.

So thats cleared that up then :rolleyes:

I give up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I bought my Philips stb two weeks ago and it came with version 0032 (01/01/2001),
    "YES, THAT IS THE DATE ON THE SCREEN MORE THAN TWO YEARS OLD" :mad:

Can someone, or Philips if they dare to read this forum, explain how come the model currently on sale in the shops is only available with a two years old software ....

Version 0032 (01/01/2001) of the software has all the problems you guys reported on this email thread.
    1) it is slooooooow
    2) keeps forgetting the channels, had to factory reset 3 times in two weeks
    3) has a very annoying glitch on the screen when changing channels.

This looks more like "experimental" software than production quality software.

These boxes have a serial interface in the back, supposedly to allow us, the annoyed users, to plug our computer and upgrade the software manually ....... but man, have you tried finding any support in the Philips UK website ? don't even try ...

Am I mad :mad: v1 ? of course I am! specially because the shop won't take it back co's according to them the dam stb is not faulty.

Am I mad :mad: v2 ? of course I am! specially after finding out that a £40 stb from Sagem (from ASDA) performs better than the £100 Philips one. Okay, the Sagem doesn't have two scarts or audio output, but it works, it is fast and doesn't require a factory reset every so often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    in defence - that date is wrong. It must be, because that's the date that appeared on mine when it received the upgrade OTA in about october/november last year. The previous version (23) was undated.

also, I've had no problems with "forgotten" channels since then, although I did on 23. And I wouldn't call it slow at all. And it has handled the addition of TUTV flawlessly, whereas the sagem royally f*cked up and lost a load of primary channels due to a pointless 60-channel limit in the firmware (the Philips, like any decent box, can cope with 999).

Having said that, their customer service is a disgrace, there should have been more broadcasts of 32, and there are enough niggles still in that version to warrant a new update sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I accept that the sagem box is limited, but is much faster than the Philips and doesn't have the anoying glitch on the image when you change channels, and for halft the price of the philips.

But let's leave these comparisons aside and once Philips is not interested and providing decent support, let's engage on a little problem determination and try to find out what are the contributing factors for the "loss of channels" it seems to suffer.

What do we know?

1) in the past two weeks TUTV was launched nationwide and moved from preview mode to encoded mode.

2) some of your reported the loss of channels on firmware version 23

3) I am currently experiencing loss of channels on firmware version 32 which is supposedely more recent than 23.

I wander if there are some external factors that could triggering a software bug in the firmware on these boxes. I've noticed frmo other postings on this forum that the "loss of channels" has been occuring with other brands as well. Some manufacturers have explicetly released new versions of the firmware or recommended the workaround of "factory reset" to recover the lost channels.

Philips must know what the problem is but they preffer to threat the customers like mushrooms (keep them in the dark and feed them sh***)

Anyone has some other ideas? or a list of other symptoms? Maybe we could colate a list of know rpobles and keep reporting them to Philips till some action is take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "With regards to your query we can advise that there is no software
    upgrade available for the DTR1500."

I've sent another e-mail explaining that an update is available and a repeat is required

Im now holding my breath :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LJM1 wrote:
    "

Im now holding my breath :sleep:

I wouldn't if I were you

you'll turn all blue then keel over
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member