Options

New RPTV TV coming. A bit worried.

I'm getting a Tashiba 42WT29B on Monday and was looking forward to it coming until I had a look through a few of these posts...
With all these settings to sort out like convergence and so on, I'm a bit worried if I've made the right choice. Some of you seem to be fiddling about and having problems all the time...
All I want to do is set it up once and watch and enjoy. When I get it on monday will the installers set it up to just a basic standard?
I know I will have to at some point set it to my liking but I don't want to have to mess with it all the time. When I do set it up and I like what I see, will it stay that way, or am I going to have to tweak it every day?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you'll love it.

Get the thing properly set up and you'll never want to look at "little TV" again.

The convergence is dead easy to set up - it only really needs doing a few times a year if it's done properly.

It will show up any crappy pictures you feed into it, but it will do DVDs and digital TV superbly if the source material is good.

Enjoy - and expect more friends round to see it!
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Jim Rae wrote:
    No, you'll love it.

Get the thing properly set up and you'll never want to look at "little TV" again.

The convergence is dead easy to set up - it only really needs doing a few times a year if it's done properly.

It will show up any crappy pictures you feed into it, but it will do DVDs and digital TV superbly if the source material is good.

Enjoy - and expect more friends round to see it!

Cheers : I feel better now... Just one more question.
    I'm a bit thick with these things...... What is a component cable? How do I know if my Samsung DVD/VCR and My Sky box are component compatible? Sorry that was two questioms...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does your DVD player havd component sockets on the back?
    They are RCA type and are coloured red, green & blue.

I find it unlikely that any sky stbs will have component out (not yet anyway!).

Also, always use good quality scart cables like IXOS, Thor or QED etc. And ALWAYS, ALWAYS use RGB out on your DVD, sky and games console if you have one. Even if it means in investing in a scart switch box if you only have one RGB scart on the TV. DO NOT settle for anything less like S-video or composite.
    You really see the difference on a large screen.

Also, wait about half an hour after turning your TV on before doing any convergence adjustments.

Had my Tosh 40" RP over 2 years now and it's been SUPERB. Would NEVER go back to CRT or 50Hz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevo speaks the truth!

How are you getting on with the new TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice Kevo. My dvd does have these RCA thingys so I'm OK there....
    Jim you ask how am I getting on with my new TV. Well someone ****ed up the delivery date so I get it next monday now :mad: . I even took the day off work, the *****rds. So they tell me next Monday between 7am and 7pm..... 7am :eek: Ask me again in a weeks time....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I got it today at long last... And it's the dogs do-das.
    What are you settings..

The chap who installed it set it to....

Contrast 40
    Brightness 50
    Colour 35
    Tint set for yourself 10
    Sharpness minus 10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very similar to my settings.
    I don't think the tint has an effect. Only on ntsc playback, unless they've changed it since my model.
    I have sharpness on zero. -10 seems a bit extreme.

At the end of the day, it's up to you and what you prefer.
    Have a play around, but wait until it's been on for about half an hour.
    Don't forget the convergence settings too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tint ideed only works on NTSC - no effect on our broadcasts.

The sharpness settings I would normally set at half way.

You might find that when you get connected up that using RGB scarts from your DVD will give you a picture of similar brightness to the RGB out of the digibox.

Using component however will blow you away quality wise, but sometimes you might want to adjust the brightness settings as it can give a slightly "darker" picture.

Go and get a copy of Moulin Rouge on DVD and enjoy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers. It's been on for a couple of hours now and so far the convergence seems fine.. Will have to go to maplins this weekend to get some component cables...
    Any other tips you guys have will be most welcome.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry too much about the convergence.

You'll know if needs a tweak if you see colour fringing around the edges of the picture - for example on the "press red" graphic at the top right of the screen.

And it's dead easy to adjust - not like the old days of the Barco projectors which could take hours to set up properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be a pain in the ar**. But still a bit confused :confused: about component video/audio...
    This is what the back of my dvd/video combi

Is there component connections on it?

Sorry if the picture takes a short time to download..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, there are no componet sockets.

Use the RGB scart instead for the DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kevo wrote:
    No, there are no componet sockets.

Use the RGB scart instead for the DVD.

Cheers Kevo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about S-video?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote:
    What about S-video?

Not as good as RGB, but better than composite.

Should only be used if RGB isn't available from the source.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - S Video is better than composite - that's the yellow phono socket, but RGB through the AV1 SCART is much better than both of them.

As Kev says, that's the best option you have for pictures and it should give you splendid performance.

For audio, you can use the audio phono outs, but using the digital out is better if you can and have a separate amplifier outfit.

You can't get full 5.1 sound from a DVD if you use the twin phonos -only Dolby ProLogic which is good, but not as good as Dolby Digital or DTS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm getting there.... Picture almost spot on, just a few small adjustments.. Sound awesome, and that's just through the TV and surround speakers that came with it.. Maybe I'll set it up with my Kenwood pro logic amp when I know what I'm doing a little better.
    One other thing I'm a little concerned about is, when watching wide screen dvd's that in some other format other than 16:9, will tha "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen cause screen burn?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In general it's the bright colours which can risk screen burn in RP sets.

But unless you are watching movies all day every day, it should be OK.

I vary the picture format on mine from 16:9 to 4:3 as well as widescreen movies with no problems at all.

Watch out for the electronic programme guides though, as they can cause burn in if left on too long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote:
    I'm getting there.... One other thing I'm a little concerned about is, when watching wide screen dvd's that in some other format other than 16:9, will tha "black bars" at the top and bottom of the screen cause screen burn?

Shouldn't do.

I've had mine over two years now and have watched all manner of aspect ratios as well as video games with no problems at all.

Whatever you do, don't commit the ultimate sin and zoom or stretch the screens settings in order to get rid of the black bars, be it horizontal or vertical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - that should be a hanging offence!

If you have a WS film on DVD which is "wider" than 16:9 - as most blockbusters are - leave the black borders at the top and bottom and dim the lights so you can't see them.

Then you'll then get the film as it was meant to be shown in the cinema.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks chaps... I feel better now...
    Now that I've got it all set up and running I've fot to get rid of my old tv. Problem is my mate said he'd buy it off me but I can't find the instrution book. And him being a bit thick will pester me for ever til I find it.
    It's a Black Diamond BD2851S (Mitsubishi I think) bought from Powerhouse a couple of years ago...
    Any of you guys know where I can gat one or download a pdf version?