Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The studio analysis is, as is often the case with TNT, very good indeed.

Scholes could send me into a coma, so I beg to differ.
  • Options
    YoungManYoungMan Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Col87Col87 Posts: 6,011
    Forum Member
    YoungMan wrote: »
    Think some of the TNT regulars have got too comfortable in their roles as demonstrated tonight.

Also, if you look at other channels:

- Shearer improved massively since becoming number 1 pundit for the BBC.
    - Matterface improved since becoming number 1 commentator for ITV (although probably not to the standard of main commentator quite yet)

Whereas, Fletcher has got worse since becoming number 1 commentator for BT/TNT in 2015 and Ferdinand now reaching the point of being a clown since becoming BT/TNT's number 1 pundit.

Which are good points. Match of the Day improved massively when pundits and even the commentators started to be rotated more, meaning Shearer was giving a chance to improve.
    Matterface has improved slightly although he’s not helped by poor co commentators
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    The studio analysis is, as is often the case with TNT, very good indeed.

Scholes could send me into a coma, so I beg to differ.

So he isn't entirely without purpose.
  • Options
    fishlipsmcgeefishlipsmcgee Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/05/24 - 02:12 #48956
    5/8 - 5/9/2024 WORLD FEED COMMENTATORS---

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE [SEMI-FINAL - 2ND LEG]:
    Real Madrid vs. Bayern Munich (5/8) - Steve Wilson and Stewart Robson

UEFA EUROPA CONFERENCE LEAGUE [SEMI-FINAL - 2ND LEG]:
    Fiorentina vs. Club Brugge (5/8) - Ben Andrews

EFL LEAGUE ONE [PROMOTION PLAY-OFF SEMI-FINAL - 2ND LEG]:
    Peterborough United vs. Oxford United (5/8) - James Fielden

COPA LIBERTADORES:
    Talleres de Córdoba vs. Barcelona de Ecuador (5/8) - Jon Cotterill and Bira Brasil Lima
    Huachipato vs. Grêmio (5/8) - [PPD - AWAY TEAM TRAVEL PROBLEM]
    Alianza Lima vs. Cerro Porteño (5/9) - Carter Augustine
    Botafogo vs. Liga de Quito (5/9) - Jon Cotterill
    Cobresal vs. São Paulo [@ Calama, Chile] (5/9) - Joel Richards
    Millonarios vs. Bolívar (5/9) - David Windsor

COPA SUDAMERICANA:
    Rayo Zuliano vs. Athletico Paranaense [@ Caracas, Venezuela] (5/8) /
    Sportivo Trindense vs. Boca Juniors (5/9) - Oliver Wilson
    Sportivo Luqueño vs. Coquimbo Unido (5/8) - David Miguel
    Nacional Potosí vs. Fortaleza (5/9) - Steve Schlanger
    Cuiabá vs. Metropolitanos (5/9) - Matt Lawrence

UEFA WOMEN’S U17 EURO 2024 [@ Sweden]: (all 5/8)
    Norway vs. France [@ Malmö] / Sweden vs. England [@ Lund] - Richard Drew

NWSL: (all 5/9)
    Houston Dash vs. NJ/NY Gotham FC - Joe Malfa and Kacey White
    Seattle Reign vs. Kansas City Current - Maura Sheridan and Jeff Attinella
    San Diego Wave vs. Utah Royals - Donny Baarns and Ken LaVicka

5/8/2024 DIVISION 1 FÉMININE COMMENTATORS ON DAZN---

Reims vs. Paris Saint-Germain - Chris Sharples
    Fleury 91 vs. Montpellier - Andy Bargh
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,547
    Forum Member
    edited 09/05/24 - 03:23 #48957
    Clive Tyldesley and Rob Green were on-site for CBS on Wednesday.

Clive sort of botched the ending on the Bayern Munich offside re VAR, but here are all the goal calls:

1-0
    https://streamable.com/b12laj

1-1
    https://streamable.com/w6j2in

2-1
    https://streamable.com/76mumg

2-2 except it wasn't
    https://streamable.com/5nws2h
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    The good news is come the Euro 2024, Fletcher and McManaman will not be heard on the coverage on BBC or ITV (although we still have Rio's wisdom to look forward to).

He'll be confined to the studio though, he's bearable there.

Is he?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing work from TNT last night, superb commentary, bravo!
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clive sort of botched the ending on the Bayern Munich offside re VAR

I blame Darren Fletcher, Steve McManaman and Rio Ferdinand.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 85,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airdrieonians v Partick Thistle (Scottish Premiership Play-Off Quarter-Final, BBC Scotland, 7/5/24) - Alasdair Lamont and Michael Stewart. Presented by Jonathan Sutherland, with Leanne Crichton and James McFadden. Amy Canavan reporting.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,620
    Forum Member
    edited 09/05/24 - 06:51 #48962
    Mark. wrote: »

Rob Green knew what he was talking about at least .
  • Options
    zacittyzacitty Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ferdinand now reaching the point of being a clown

He hit that point when he decided to defend Mike Ashley’s stewardship of Newcastle. Let alone the Solskjaer/PSG thing. He’s absolutely dreadful and should have been left to fade into YouTube oblivion long ago.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you say, there is a show on Friday but not on ITV1 as the caption said, on ITV4 at 12.15am, repeated on ITV1 at midnight on Saturday. Not sure of the value of showing highlights of matches that by that point will be up to five days old, while not showing anything from the first leg of Leeds vs Norwich who are quite big teams, but so be it.

I see that the Friday showing of this EFL highlights programme has now been dropped and the Saturday ITV1 screening will now be the first showing, presumably so it can take in Franchise vs Crawley from Saturday night. Hope Bolton fans aren't still trying to avoid finding out the score from Tuesday night.
    Since when was the analysis sponsored by Turkish Airlines? Never known that before. (Unless you're American TV)

I do remember in the days of ESPN their FA Cup coverage often included a sequence called The Bench, I think, which didn't seem to be that much difference to the rest of the build-up but had its own little title sequence and was sponsored by Budweiser, so I assume it's a bit like that.
    Airdrieonians v Partick Thistle (Scottish Premiership Play-Off Quarter-Final, BBC Scotland, 7/5/24) - Alasdair Lamont and Michael Stewart. Presented by Jonathan Sutherland, with Leanne Crichton and James McFadden. Amy Canavan reporting.

Forgot to say, thank you for doing these, I spend enough time watching English football to keep up with the Scottish game (although for work purposes I do end up having to look at the Scottish Championship table most weeks) so I'm pleased these now appear as a supplement to my list at the weekend. I was going to say, seems a bit odd to start the play-offs before one of the teams in them is even known as the SPL season hasn't finished yet, although obviously they don't come into it for a bit. And someone wrote into the Guardian Knowledge this week to point out the play-offs in the NWCL Premier League have had to be delayed because Charnock Richard had umpteen games in hand and promptly won them all to qualify for them.

I must say, I know this is the commentators thread, and I'm one to talk, but it surprises me how much some people seem to have total recall of everything Rio Ferdinand's ever said on TNT, making references to bits of commentary and punditry that I have no recollection of whatsoever. I will also never be able to understand why people are still watching coverage of a match half an hour after the final whistle if they hate all the personnel so much.
  • Options
    zacittyzacitty Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will also never be able to understand why people are still watching coverage of a match half an hour after the final whistle if they hate all the personnel so much.
    Have tried to take your oft-suggested approach of turning the TV off immediately after full time to avoid the ‘punditry’, only for the likes of Ferdinand to pop up in commentary instead. If I didn’t know better I’d almost think they’re wanting people to unsubscribe.
  • Options
    Jbaxter736Jbaxter736 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    This is the reason why I chose not to pay for TNT. It's a shame there's no extra feed where you could just get a world feed instead of TNT commenting on the gains
  • Options
    loyalsinceloyalsince Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Sky are recruiting for EFL commentators.

Any club/ local commentators that people think should be able to make the step up?
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »

Any club/ local commentators that people think should be able to make the step up?

Gordon Burns
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 09/05/24 - 11:23 #48969
    TNT seem obsessed with giving us Rio content:

https://twitter.com/footballontnt/status/1788520064070685117
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You’d be forgiven for thinking Rio actually runs TNT Sport with how prominent he has. Lead pundit and on nearly every CL main game, now co-commentator in addition to a pundit and even appearing in the adverts.
    Which wouldn’t grate as much were he not becoming such a parody of himself these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zacitty wrote: »
    I will also never be able to understand why people are still watching coverage of a match half an hour after the final whistle if they hate all the personnel so much.
    Have tried to take your oft-suggested approach of turning the TV off immediately after full time to avoid the ‘punditry’, only for the likes of Ferdinand to pop up in commentary instead. If I didn’t know better I’d almost think they’re wanting people to unsubscribe.

To add to this point. It may be the case that people find certain pundits not so strong on a broadcaster but can sit through others comfortably enough. People don't necessarily blanketly hate TNT - just the points of the coverage that are weak.

Plus in a situation like Tuesday if I want to hear what Owen Hargreaves has to say as a pundit I'll also have to then hear what Rio says too if he's also a pundit unless I'm muting and unmuting every time who's speaking changes which would be a) ridiculous and odd and b) exhausting. So naturally if Rio does some pretty sub-par punditry I might comment on it.

Plus if a game has been particularly entertaining or interesting or had some big incident while some may switch off immediately post-match there are others like myself who may want to stick around for the reaction or analysis of it and won't instantly go from being engrossed in a game to changing the channel the second the full-time whistle hits.
    Plus sometimes I'll be doing something else and have the post-match on in the background and my first priority isn't changing the channel. I'd worry if not immediately sprinting to the remote come full-time were then taken by TNT as then an endorsement for the quality of many of their pundits.

And if we were feeling like parts of the coverage are so bad that we're choosing not to watch when we might otherwise - that should be pretty telling especially for us as football coverage nerds and as we're paying a significant fee each month to watch and would want bang for our buck.

And surely if we were to turn off immediately post match any criticisim would likely be handwaved away as 'well you didn't watch the output so how can you judge it/him'.

And the issue with broadcasting as it is is that legally (there is of course the sailing the seven seas option) I either can only watch the match on TNT or have to find say a pub or other venue to watch it at which might have its own costs (e.g. purchasing drinks). If there was say ITV or Sky showing the same games instead I'd be there in a flash

I do think though that Steve does seem slightly more effusive though of BT/TNT then the rest of us. Who knows maybe it is widely praised across the industry and the wider presentation (graphics and the like) are all fine enough - it's the actual on-screen talent that I have the issue with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I wouldn't say this place is totally negative on TNT. Various personnel and parts of it have got praise - Ally McCoist, Jules Breach, Lucy Ward, Adam Summerton, the Goals Show and Owen Hargreaves are all people or things that I've seen praise for on here. As did removing Peter Walton (thank goodness!)
    It's just when the coverage is poor people call a spade a spade.

And it's not like TNT is overly targeted. People constructively criticize decisions on ITV, BBC and Sky plenty too.
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,101
    Forum Member
    Col87 wrote: »
    The good news is come the Euro 2024, Fletcher and McManaman will not be heard on the coverage on BBC or ITV (although we still have Rio's wisdom to look forward to).

You watch ITV will probably sign them up now as a second choice commentary pairing. Even though am only joking don’t forget Fletcher does do sport coverage for ITV so it is always possible especially since Clive looks likely to leave soon and Jon Champion seems to prefer living in the US so it could very easily happen.

ITV have Matterface, Hutchinson, Meulensteen, Tyldesley and Speight for the Euros. They won't sign anyone else.
  • Options
    J41CJ41C Posts: 1,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loyalsince wrote: »

Has this actually been advertised by Sky?

Obviously they will be recruiting one way or another but I haven’t seen anything from Sky yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You watch ITV will probably sign them up now as a second choice commentary pairing. Even though am only joking don’t forget Fletcher does do sport coverage for ITV so it is always possible especially since Clive looks likely to leave soon and Jon Champion seems to prefer living in the US so it could very easily happen.

ITV have Matterface, Hutchinson, Meulensteen, Tyldesley and Speight for the Euros. They won't sign anyone else.

No Jon Champion? That's a shame if that's the case.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's all very middling, isn't it. The equivalent of Turkey v Georgia but every day.

Will be noticeably lacking the calibre of Champion and no doubt an underused Tyldesley come the big knockout ties.